The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question regarding a digital over in a mix
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Question regarding a digital over in a mix

I have a wierd thing going on on a mix I am working on right now and maybe you guys can help.
Here is the scenario:
The mix is being pushed into some pres for a tad of color, no compression on the mix buss and the mix sounds great right now. The problem is one single snare hit appears to be clipping the converters with this set up. (red light on) now when I back down the input to the pres, the mix loses some warmth, so I tried to automate the snare track down on the one hit and it still clips, however, when I mute the track the problem goes away.

Now I can not hear this on my clip on my BM 15's

My question is for the mastering guys, is it ok to ignore this one clip, let the mix sound the way I think is best, or will this one split second clip be an issue for you?.

Thanks
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It's probably ok.........having said that, people's monitoring can sometimes hide or mask distortion which they later realize is a problem.....or maybe they're just lacking the experience of what certain kinds of distortion sound like (or maybe they're just cloth-eared!)

- but if you think your monitoring is good, then it's prolly ok. (maybe you should also check it on some good headphones).
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Well thanks I kind of figured that,

It is so strange, when I automate the thing all the way down, it is still there,
When I must the rack it goes away! But I feel like the over all mix was compromised when I backed down the gain into the API pres.

thanks again, looking forward to more opinions.
C
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sometimes a transient can pop out 10dB or more above the main "meat" of the sound - that could be why it still clips even when you drop the volume. Or it could be that the mix is almost clipping minus the snare, so that with even a little bit of the snare added it's pushed over into the red-zone.

You could put that one snare hit on its own track and just apply a limiter (or clipper plug) to that 1 snare hit...see if that works......

A limiter like the L2 or L3 placed on the master-buss with the threshold set at 0dBFS should catch that over while doing nothing else to the mix.....but who's to say that won't sound worse then what you've got?.....

......i agree with you - if it sounds good as is, don't mess with success!
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

yeah, I would worry about any artifacts from limiting, this is why an outboard mix compressor may be called for in the distant future.

Thanks for your second vote!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Flip the phase of one mixbuss channel for a split second during snare transient !!!

Ok, you probably shouldn't do that. But maye just the snare channel ?

Nathan
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

Something that can work pretty well, and remain transparent, is to look at the snare track in a DAW and reduce the volume of the transient. The transient of a snare drum is going to be pretty short, so you can probably tame it quite a bit without being obvious.

Hope that helps...
Mike Bruce
Old 16th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo
I have a wierd thing going on on a mix I am working on right now and maybe you guys can help.
Here is the scenario:
The mix is being pushed into some pres for a tad of color, no compression on the mix buss and the mix sounds great right now. The problem is one single snare hit appears to be clipping the converters with this set up. (red light on) now when I back down the input to the pres, the mix loses some warmth, so I tried to automate the snare track down on the one hit and it still clips, however, when I mute the track the problem goes away.

Now I can not hear this on my clip on my BM 15's

My question is for the mastering guys, is it ok to ignore this one clip, let the mix sound the way I think is best, or will this one split second clip be an issue for you?.

Thanks
It's probably not an issue, but it would be nice if you flag it so what we'll be on the lookout on our "high resolution playback system." An over that you cannot hear is probably extremely short, probably inaudible, and worst case could be fixed by one of us in 10 seconds with a declicker or Retouch or Renovator.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H
..... A limiter like the L2 or L3 placed on the master-buss with the threshold set at 0dBFS should catch that over while doing nothing else to the mix...........

do nothing else to the mix?

have you carefully listened to the L2 or L3?

me thinks not.
Old 17th May 2006
Motown legend

Verified Member
I'd just drop a passive pad between the pre and the A to D converter!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search