The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
getting to the master mix,To bounce or not to bounce is the ????
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

getting to the master mix,To bounce or not to bounce is the ????

Ok
I’m self taught and learning every day, I have a Gs3000 mixing counsel with two 896’s from Moto with a G5 dual 2.7 also have Uad,Ozone, Nomad Factory, Altie Verb, plugs. Ok I track through the GS3000 to my 896's, Now it's time to mix the project, I’m ready to bounce my Pre Master Mix to disk to a AIFF FILE--- orrrrrrrr!-- should I come back through the board again with that Mix and re- record to the 896 again to a stereo track and then add my Mastering Plugs to that track and then bounce my Master Mix. This would only be One Bounce in the process to the master mix. Would this be the right way with my setup.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Billy
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

If you dont have a master recorder, like a masterlink or tascam (or 2 track tape ), then you probably want to go back into the MOTU after mixing on the board like you mentioned, to utilize your mastering plugins. and even if you DID have a master recorder, you still might want to go back in the box to use plugs, assuming you dont have any decent outboard mastering gear.

you will hear from many on this board about making multiple passes through converters and its potential to degrade signals. I will also agree with that, so I try and keep the AD/DA passes to a minimum.

I have a similar setup. I use a MOTU 24 i/o, and I track everything through a Soundtracs Topaz 24 channel console then into the 24 i/o. i edit in the box, using DP and PT, then back out again to mix on the board. i have a couple comps for the mix bus for my topaz, and a Masterlink to mixdown to. Ill leave the REAL mastering to a masterhouse from then on out, unless im in a pinch. I can bring the track back into the box from the masterlink to use some Mastering plug ins.

Sounds like you have some nice plug ins, so you should play around with doing more out of the box vs. more ITB, and see what you prefer.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

have a pro do your mastering.

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
have a pro do your mastering.

Im so sick of responses like this.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
Im so sick of responses like this.
Yeah, the truth sometimes hurts!

Regards,
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

How did you learn then?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I dont want anyone here to get an attitude towards me but....

A mastering engineer knows what they are doing! I have said I could master a project and I do my best with a lot of gear and great ears but, I dont come close to what a ME does! Try this, do your best mastering job then send a track to get mastered and hear the difference... it is absolutly amazing!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

bah.

each to his own

this guy comes on looking for help and he gets told to let someone else do it.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm almost getting a little confused up there, but just in case -

I'd try to avoid going *through the console* a second time.

If you're going to take a whack at it, do the mixes and forget about them for a while. Then open them up and start as "fresh" as you can ITB.

Of course, if you find out that substantial changes are being made, revisit the mixes - Otherwise, you're just second-guessing your own mixes (which is one reason why M.E.'s tend to not master their own mixes).
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

Ok ! Ok!
I'm not trying to mastering for the BIgggg Boys! Only Giving my Clients A little Something for there money . And it also helps me check to see if my mix is were it should be. It's aaaaaa learning Curve.

Anyway's Thanks

Billy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search