The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did you get your pocket money for toys Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

How did you get your pocket money for toys

Curious how other engineers found the funding to delve into the wonderful world of outboard.

Was it purely from profit's from mastering?
Day job to supplement?
Selling drugs?
Noodle diet?!?

I'm just looking for some inspiration really to start building my collection, looks like the road ahead is long and hard just want some interesting stories to help the journey along
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

mastering engineers and their toys

Many top engineers who own private studios, have plenty of toys especially expensive speakers like B&W nautilus or Wilson audio. How do you actually afford to buy these things? I know I could never afford all that gear even if I saved up my money.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I can only speak for myself, but most of the money I make from my studio goes right back into it. It's no wonder why per hour, a mastering job is one of the more expensive ones.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Made the exact same thread and got no reply... I see how it is :(
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Race View Post
Made the exact same thread and got no reply... I see how it is :(
what do you mean see how it is?
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Buy used. Haggle.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

I used to work at Guitar Center - there I made great contacts and friends with vendors and manufacturers. Working there I got dealer cost pricing...

no longer there yet its still great to have close friends that I can trust will get me a good price.

Also.. you could save up and budget for cheap gear and get more stuff...
or save longer and get the best money can buy. Down the road what kind of studio do you want?

Those of us who have really nice equipment saved and worked our asses off for a long time to get it.

Patients with your pocket book and having good contacts are key.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

OH yes, and I've gotten some great deals myself. 1/2" AMPEX 440C, free. DAT, ADAT, 12-channel mixer, digital delay, DBX compressors, a defacto-standard mid-90s home studio for free as well. Then there's just plain good deals, buy two years ago's model and save. Guitar Center accidentally put a $2,000 price tag on the $2,500 model, there's savings. Buy busted gear and fix it like my Orban EQ or build it yourself like my metering system.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I had a good day job and purchased a lot of equipment before I opened up my mastering studio. After opening my mastering studio and quitting my day job I plowed back most of what I was making into more equipment. (lots of rahman noodle lunches and dinners) As someone else pointed out it is expensive to be a mastering engineer since you want to have the best gear and a lot of what you earn goes back into the business. Today I have most of the equipment I need and and use so I don't spend a lot on equipment.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil View Post
what do you mean see how it is?
Could have swore there were 2 seperate threads, maybe I'm working too hard
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Jon have you looked into Princes Trust? that's how I got my first wad for buying a computer, DAC and first load of software.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

When your in this business long enough there is a thing called "professional discount" that some manufactures will give you but you have to have a proven track record. Articles written about you, Grammy nom, major artist you've worked with, etc...

...For instance a company like B&W might give you 40 to 50% off the speakers because they know many clients will hear their speakers in your room and it may add to their sales.

I always ask but many of the boutique guys really can't afford to discount... they just aren't big enough and don't do enough volume to warrant it.

Other than that it's ears open and search, search, search...
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I had a good day job and purchased a lot of equipment before I opened up my mastering studio. After opening my mastering studio and quitting my day job I plowed back most of what I was making into more equipment. (lots of rahman noodle lunches and dinners) As someone else pointed out it is expensive to be a mastering engineer since you want to have the best gear and a lot of what you earn goes back into the business. Today I have most of the equipment I need and and use so I don't spend a lot on equipment.
Right Thomas... then add the cost to build an accurate room in there as well... bloody hell it expensive to do it right.

I find I get bored of gear after a few years and need to try other equipment in it's place. I miss my Pultecs but the Buzz REQ2.2 gets a lot more use in mastering than the Pultecs ever did. Now if I was only doing recording I don't think I would have ever gotten rid of those Pultecs.

btw, those Pultecs I found for 400.00 each... keep your ears open...
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

I buy used gear. there are those who devote all spare income to gear.

I don't want to go out on a limb but I surmise vanity projects for the wealthy make up the majority of studios with the best design and gear list. the best raw materials cost top dollar. the best gear costs top dollar. the best studio design costs to dollar.

Do the revenues justify the capital investment? In this market how could it.

That being said. you can build a great DIY studio on a budget, purchase used gear, and pay for a studio little by little. grinding it out. I'm sure there are A LOT of people doing it this way.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

trickin

Isn't that what everyone else does?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If you have a friend who builds mastering gear, or a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend of a friend... become very good friends
Old 4th March 2012
Get a day job, save up little by little, start with cheaper gear and a basic setup. You can do some basic mastering, and if your good, you gradually get known, charge some money. Save more, then move to middle range gear, then finally get the high end stuff. There's no point buying a tube-tech compressor or a neve desk unless you really have the expertise and experience to use it to its full potential. Work your way up!
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hustle
Who you know
right place right time
find the deals
invest in the right gear

To help pay off my Neumann lathe I bought a 2nd and sold for a small profit to help. I also found myself brokering a few other lathes for people I knew and was able to work some outboard as my fee for the involvement. Brokering deals is not for the faint of heart-dealing with two other parties and a hefty some of cash. I honestly do not want to do another as I am pleased with my mastering console now---well a pair of Tyler D1's are on my want list
Old 4th March 2012
Work three jobs for three years. Put everything u make back into gear. Have a really understanding wife who also works and helps pay the jobs.
Old 5th March 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicWyeth View Post
Put everything u make back into gear.
yup. It's all about priorities and sacrifice if you want to build your studio when you're coming up. Hunting for good deals used makes a big difference. Since December I've put another $7700 worth of gear into my studio, but hunted for good deals and paid out about $5500. Meanwhile I haven't been out clubbing since NYE. All cash goes to gear, all time goes to music related tasks. In the past year I also logged a tonne of time honing my skills with room treatment and tuning my room as well.

If you want it bad enough you have to do whatever it takes.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Some MEs don't own any gear- they just work for a studio that has the facilities and staff there already. That is becoming less common these days.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Also, make good decisions when buying gear.

The digital fad piece of the month, may be junk in 3 years.

Nearly all of the analog hardware we have still sounds great and is used daily for mastering, including EQs, compressors, monitors, tape machines, power amps, etc... Some of it dates back to 1976.

High-end digital hardware seems to be a safe choice (Weiss & Z-Sys).

And to some degree DAW software that has a long history & continues to update, such as Pro Tools and Sonic Studio.

Best, JT
Old 5th March 2012
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Working and putting all the money made back into the studio.
Get a second part-time job to help finding new purchases.
As other have mentioned keep an eye for deals on demo units or second hand pieces.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ditto on finding good deals on equipment. The problem is if you don't live in a big city your chances of finding good USED gear at reasonable prices are slim. The internet is rife with pieces of used equipment that are either scams or you are basically buying a pig in a poke. The "buyer beware" and "if it seems to good to be true it probably is" should be your watch words if you are buying anything off the internet.

I have been very lucky in buying used equipment but most of it has come from fellow mastering engineers or from people I knew and trusted.

I have been scammed a couple of times but not for any big ticket items.

The other place one can save money is by building or helping to build your own mastering room and acoustics if you are at all handy with tools. I helped build my mastering studio with my good friend who is a master carpenter. He did all the construction and I was his go-fore and holder of drywall while he screwed it into place. I also helped him with the acoustic panels and other acoustical treatments. I paid him for his time but since he was a good friend he did it at a reduced rate. If I would have had to pay full rate my studio would have cost me three times what it did.

Hope this helps!
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I started off doing mastering after hours on weekends & occasionally week nights. My main job at the time paid for the mortgage & household bills. The money I made from mastering went right back into the studio to fund more gear. I started off with a G4 running ProTools LE on a 001 with a set of Dyn Audio BM6A's. I've been buying/upgrading/modding gear now for over 10 years & only now pretty happy with my set up. I bought some brand new gear along with a fair bit of used gear as well. Look around you can get some great deals if you know where to find them.

Next up for me is buying a warehouse & building a new room...
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Addict
i started with tabledance in an top 40 bar.
then i started to sniff glue
then i was selling glue to my customer.
sniffing glue also tightens their mixes.
after ediction-process i asked for more and more money for the glue.
that worked well in my case
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Most of the stuff I had was payed when working in a recording studio as an engineer. When I decided to open this business I got a bank loan to buy a few other pieces of outboard.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

I started of DJíng and producing and made quite some money with that next to my regular job. (producing at night, dj in the weekend when i was still single) From that money i bought some serious stuff and it really started off and that is where i am right now. Starting of with 100% dancemusic mastering, now about 50% is dance and the other 50% is rock, pop, acoustical music etc. Matter of trying, learning, falling down, getting up stronger and better all the time.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Matter of trying, learning, falling down, getting up stronger and better all the time.
'Like'.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Matter of trying, learning, falling down, getting up stronger and better all the time.
Can't read this without singing a certain infamous 90s Chumbawumba song..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search