Attack and release times
Old 14th May 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Attack and release times

Hi guys.


I know its all about what you hear, or do i.

But i thought it might be worth while to talk about your compressor attack and release times.


With attack i normally dont go under 50 ms but thats not written in stone.

Release is normally always above 200 ms unless im looking for an effect.
Old 14th May 2006
  #2
Mastering
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
Hi guys.


I know its all about what you hear, or do i.

But i thought it might be worth while to talk about your compressor attack and release times.


With attack i normally dont go under 50 ms but thats not written in stone.

Release is normally always above 200 ms unless im looking for an effect.

My gosh. Start by talking about the model of the compressor, the type of material you are mastering, and the goals you are going for (e.g. "aggressive", "manipulative", "punchy", or "just gentle gain riding"). I think it would be easier to listen to musical "before/after" examples and make more sense than to talk about this topic.
Old 14th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Fair enough Bob

My bad.
Old 15th May 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
30ms Attack
100ms Release
2:1 ratio

1dB GR

Your Welcome,

DC
Old 15th May 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
The golden ratio from DC, im honoured.


Cheers DC
Old 15th May 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
The golden ratio from DC, im honoured.
Oh, you want the Golden Ratio?

62ms Attack
162ms Release
1.618 Ratio
0.618dB GR

DC
Old 15th May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins
Oh, you want the Golden Ratio?

62ms Attack
162ms Release
1.618 Ratio
0.618dB GR

DC

Shouldnt you be at comedy central presents?
Old 15th May 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Verified Member
With some material like hiphop you might want a pretty fast release that lets go of the music in time with the beat - between the kick and snare.......that's if you're going for a more aggresive type of sound

I never really think about attack and release times in terms of numbers - it's so dependant on the model of comp, input level, the knee etc - best just to yank the knobs 'till it feels good.
Old 15th May 2006
  #9
Gear interested
 
Jolle_Cobra's Avatar
 

Would love to hear some sound-examples of the difference between the orginal sound and the mastered sound.

Specially a hiphop track. Wanna know how much you can do with mastering.
Old 15th May 2006
  #10
Gear nut
 
overdose's Avatar
 

I have a track you can demo

I would love to hear how my music sounds pro mastered. I have never had one of my songs mastered.
Old 15th May 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolle_Cobra
.. Wanna know how much you can do with mastering.
That would depend how much you can do with mixing
Old 15th May 2006
  #12
Gear interested
 
Jolle_Cobra's Avatar
 

Well, i'm not a good mixer, so it will proberbly do results with mastering.

But it would be nice to hear some example, Before and After. Take "overdose"'s track, someone, and master it and let us hear the result!
Old 15th May 2006
  #13
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins
Oh, you want the Golden Ratio?

62ms Attack
162ms Release
1.618 Ratio
0.618dB GR

DC

Those of us at the Fibonacci School of Mastering greatly appreciate the public support for the ONE true correct setting of a compressor.

Really, I just about pee'd myself when I read that one!
Mike Bruce
Old 15th May 2006
  #14
Gear interested
 
Jolle_Cobra's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bruce
Those of us at the Fibonacci School of Mastering greatly appreciate the public support for the ONE true correct setting of a compressor.

Really, I just about pee'd myself when I read that one!
Mike Bruce
On friday the secret will be shown at the cinema. I didn't knew that the Da Vinci-code was about the mystery of the art of Mastering though ..e
Old 16th May 2006
  #15
Mastering
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins
30ms Attack
100ms Release
2:1 ratio

1dB GR

Your Welcome,

DC

Where did you set the knee? The Overeasy? And how did it affect the trumpets? I always want to know how you set the ratio on the trumpets!
Old 16th May 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 

here is a mastered track:

www.blacklinerock.com/music/3.Run.mp3

compressor:RMS 755 VCA type compressor
attack: 10ms
release: .6ms
ratio: 1.5:1
gain reduction: 1.5db on peaks
mood: sleepy
likes: long walks on the beach
dislikes: people who don't listen
favorite food: pizza

got a bit off track there but hope it gives you an idea
Old 16th May 2006
  #17
Gear interested
 
Jolle_Cobra's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
here is a mastered track:

www.blacklinerock.com/music/3.Run.mp3

compressor:RMS 755 VCA type compressor
attack: 10ms
release: .6ms
ratio: 1.5:1
gain reduction: 1.5db on peaks
mood: sleepy
likes: long walks on the beach
dislikes: people who don't listen
favorite food: pizza

got a bit off track there but hope it gives you an idea
Can you put out a link with the unmastered version so that we could hear how it sounded before?
Old 16th May 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 

The unmastered version is a 32bit wav mix... What i posted was an MP3 anyway. The original mix literally sounds the same but a little less bright and a lot less loud. The mastering compression just added a bit more pump to compensate for the killing of dynamics.
Old 17th May 2006
  #19
Gear nut
 

Steve I want that snare drum Hottness.
Old 17th May 2006
  #20
Quote:
30ms Attack
100ms Release
2:1 ratio

1dB GR
...i'm a Lotto player, can I use this "on all wheels"?

DB
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Matt Grondin / So much gear, so little time!
36
Seti808 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
23
superburtm / So much gear, so little time!
14
drumkideric / So much gear, so little time!
1
sleepwalker / Geekslutz forum
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search