The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Up In Your Face
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

Up In Your Face

I'm by no means a professional Mastering Engineer and I'm wanting to walk along that path but I'm stumped at how to achieve that nice, wide, "up in your face" sound. Stereo enhancers???Blah...they only do so artificially and leaves the mix thinned out. So any information on this would be greatly appreciated....
Old 2nd March 2012
You can use stereo wideners to a certain degree if the Mix has a decent stereo spread in the first place. But take care not to over do it as you can end up with nasty phasing issues as this is what a stereo widener does, it shifts the phase between left and right channels.

You can also use M/S processing to widen the Mix. Split the Mix into Left and Right channels and flip the polarity of 1 of the channels. This produces only the sides Mix with none of the mid mix.
Then import a left and right summed mono Mix also.

So you have sides and mid. You can add compression to the sides and bring them up in the Mix a bit and/or use EQ on the sides.

G
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakslasha View Post
I'm by no means a professional Mastering Engineer and I'm wanting to walk along that path but I'm stumped at how to achieve that nice, wide, "up in your face" sound. Stereo enhancers???Blah...they only do so artificially and leaves the mix thinned out. So any information on this would be greatly appreciated....
If you're not starting with a MIX that has a nice, wide, up-in-your-face sound, you're waiting a bit too long. Core sounds and mic placement (along with the actual use of space and depth) are going to have a far bigger impact on space and depth than anything the mastering engineer might use to preserve, slightly enhance or call attention to that space and depth...
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
"In your face", to me, implies a sense of depth – foreground & background – rather than width. And yes it must be in the mix, and usually comes from the arrangement as much as the mix itself.
Are you listening on headphones? Maybe you're hearing more of a left/centre/right type of mix, with healthy amount of transients & mids detail in the centre image slightly contrasting with the sides, which also helps give separation to that?
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You gotta' get that sound waaaaaay back at the recording stage. You will find no answers to this question from mastering.
Old 3rd March 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Yup.

A lot of people have the greatly mistaken notion that mastering is where dull mixes come to life and everything is made to sound pro.

Not the case. Great masters come from great mixes of great recordings.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the responses guys and they all made sense. So how does one go about creating "density" in a mix?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Also in agreement ^.

Thankfully, most are just looking for that little trim and icing on the cake, and not a replacement cake.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
that nice, wide, "up in your face" sound. Stereo enhancers???
Is not up in your face more down the middle?
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Hi trackslasha. You're going to need some high end analog compressors to achieve your goal. Think in terms of compressing and hard limiting. That's how this stuff happens. Bringing the sound up close to achieve that percussive effect is definitely a vital contributor to the loudness of a master. Don't be miss led down the road of software plugins as an attempt to make this happen either (if you're even using them).

You may also want to ask these guys your question since their video points out both of the exact elements you speak of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhaCW...Uu8xqkHrwixQKl
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys and they all made sense. So how does one go about creating "density" in a mix?
You missed the point -- Density is easy -- Record everything from 6" away from the mic and you'll have a mix that's 6" deep.

Use space and depth with mic placement - use the room - visualize the soundstage - think in 3 dimensions (blows my mind how many people have never mic'd an acoustic guitar with a vertical X-Y).

You're looking for contrast - not density.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search