The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I'm a recording engineer who masters myself...
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have been for a long time using plugins to achieve my loud large sounds. I have my own strange techniques of getting my material ready so that I can do this. Anyway, point is, I'm tired of not using the real deal stuff, especially my final peice of the chain(and often the only) my Tracks MB Limiter. Most people think I'm insane for using such a cheap peice of software but they are always please with the results. I work mostly on hardcore/metal material, and I'm pretty typically mastering things to near -8.5db RMS. Why I love about the Tracks Limiter is it's ability for me to brighten and liven up dull sounding mixes. It's taken me a long time to really get control of it, but it works very well for me.

That said....I'm convinced there has to be an analog equivilent that could do more help for me. I usually have EQ and compression(mostly analog) set on individual channels and avoid using it on the master. I typically despise digital compression compared to analog so it's definately odd to me that I can't find anything I like for mastering. My basic question is, what analog mastering limiter(preferably multiband) would people recommend for an engineer doing heavier stuff like me to get similar results or hopefully better. Also, if I were mastering "out of the box" like this, should I grab another A/D and if so which one. I currently have just what's on the FIREFACE 800.

I don't have tons of money so something under 3 grand would be preferable.

here's some examples(unfortunately somewhat old due to most recent stuff being unreleased) of work I've done. I'm also always open to finding a go-to person to send stuff to be mastered, though every time we have attempted that it has not turned out any better:

Here's a good example of my style
Hardcore track

somewhat lighter track hardcore
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't master yourself... you'll go blind and hair will grow on your palms. Also God is watching :D
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I never got along with the T-Racks Muli-Band - the SoftClipper isn't too bad though...
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

imo, you need a book like "mastering audio, the art and the science" by bob katz.

analog brickwall limiter...qu'est que çe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque
my final peice of the chain(and often the only) my Tracks MB Limiter. Most people think I'm insane for using such a cheap peice of software but they are always please with the results. I work mostly on hardcore/metal material, and I'm pretty typically mastering things to near -8.5db RMS. Why I love about the Tracks Limiter is it's ability for me to brighten and liven up dull sounding mixes. It's taken me a long time to really get control of it, but it works very well for me.Here's a good example of my style
i think this is great mix; but it makes my full range monitors sound like ns-10s. could be much more aggressive sounding. i listen to system of a down..this isn't even close to delivering that kind of aural power.

your ear is excellent, but you are choking your band too. hire a good mastering engineer i think you won't regret it.

jeff dinces
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah..that didnt come out how you wanted it too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search