The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dithering Paranoia
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Dithering Paranoia

Ok, so I'm sitting with the last touches (fades, etc.) on a mix. It's all recorded at 48kHz, 32 bit, and the mixdown (from Cubase SX3) is done in the same resolution.
I had the Timeworks Mastering Compressor on the master fader in Cubase, with dithering ON.

When I now at the last stage want to convert my mixdown (in Soundforge) to 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, for a master CD; should I use the dithering function AGAIN or should I turn it off for the conversion? To use dithering twice does boost the noise-level, but still, to change the sampling frequency without dithering feels a bit awkward?

Swift replies is greatly appreciated!
Best regards
/Daniel Beckman
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir
Ok, so I'm sitting with the last touches (fades, etc.) on a mix. It's all recorded at 48kHz, 32 bit, and the mixdown (from Cubase SX3) is done in the same resolution.
I had the Timeworks Mastering Compressor on the master fader in Cubase, with dithering ON.

When I now at the last stage want to convert my mixdown (in Soundforge) to 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, for a master CD; should I use the dithering function AGAIN or should I turn it off for the conversion? To use dithering twice does boost the noise-level, but still, to change the sampling frequency without dithering feels a bit awkward?

Swift replies is greatly appreciated!
Best regards
/Daniel Beckman

There is no need to dither when SRCing

SRC at 32 bit and then dither from 32 to 16 with dither.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Also be careful with the SRC, check the SRC algorithm in all the programs you use an see what sound better to your ears!

Synthi

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search