The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Q about K, for Mr. Katz
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Q about K, for Mr. Katz

Hi Bob,
Weiss DNA1 Denoiser has, among other things, K-Stereo Processor. What's the difference, if any, between the K-Stereo Processor built in DNA1 and your own DD-2 K-Stereo Processor.

Thanks, Branislav
Old 9th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branislav
Hi Bob,
Weiss DNA1 Denoiser has, among other things, K-Stereo Processor. What's the difference, if any, between the K-Stereo Processor built in DNA1 and your own DD-2 K-Stereo Processor.

Thanks, Branislav

Dear Branislav: They're identical! It may be academic to say that the Weiss uses 40 bit sharcs and the DD-2 works in 32 bit float. Or then again, not! I haven't auditoned the DNA-1 much except to verify it meets the algorithm. I'll be getting a box soon enough for permanent use!

The other difference is also probably academic. The DNA-1 can raise the K-level up to +9, but the DD-2 is limited (by my choice) to +6. I have never encountered a stereo mix or master that can be "enhanced" so much that you won't hear unpleasant artifacts at that level. But many people educating their ears as to the process feel it is so invisible that they would like to hear it at higher than +6 to begin with, and so I authorized Daniel Weiss to code up to +9. Expect to hear some very weird sounds at +9. For that matter, most K-stereo, when and if applied will run close to the 0 dB setting, and that's no coincidence, it's part of the design. Notice I said, "when and if applied', since it's all by ear. Some recordings benefit, some do not. I've used K-stereo levels as low as -3 dB just to make up for the slight loss of depth when reducing wordlength to 16 bits, not for any enhancement purpose.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz
They're identical! ...The other difference is also probably academic.
I was just wondering, if I went with DNA-1, would I be missing some features of your DD-2, so your answer is just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks, Branislav

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search