The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
They wouldn't let me hear them!
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

They wouldn't let me hear them!

Somewhat OT, but here it is:

I went to a local high end audiophile speaker shop for my first listen to pair of B&W's. When looking around, I didn't see a pair of the famed Nautilus 802's that seem to be a ME's bread and butter. So, I looked around and located the most expensive B&W's they had, and asked the salesman for an audition.

Their audition room happened to have a pair of these B&W's (not sure of the model no.) already setup in a well-placed listening position. His phone rings and he says "Just give me a few minutes and I'll set this up for you."

Twenty minutes later, he gets off the phone and asks me the usual littany of sales-crap that you'd expect, including "How much are you looking to spend?" I tell him I'm just there for a listen...

"Oh, well with the (B&W xxx's), we don't really do that except for potential buyers."

I skipped the logical argument and left the store.

fuuck

Maybe I should call B&W and let them know that one of their dealers has a back-assward approach to helping move B&W product?
Old 7th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax

I went to a local high end audiophile speaker shop for my first listen to pair of B&W's. When looking around, I didn't see a pair of the famed Nautilus 802's that seem to be a ME's bread and butter. So, I looked around and located the most expensive B&W's they had, and asked the salesman for an audition.

Their audition room happened to have a pair of these B&W's (not sure of the model no.) already setup in a well-placed listening position. His phone rings and he says "Just give me a few minutes and I'll set this up for you."

Twenty minutes later, he gets off the phone and asks me the usual littany of sales-crap that you'd expect, including "How much are you looking to spend?" I tell him I'm just there for a listen...

"Oh, well with the (B&W xxx's), we don't really do that except for potential buyers."

fuuck

Maybe I should call B&W and let them know that one of their dealers has a back-assward approach to helping move B&W product?

B&W Nautilus 800 probably.

You should just told him you were building a Mastering place and wanted to hear what the 800's had to offer.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
B&W Nautilus 800 probably.

You should just told him you were building a Mastering place and wanted to hear what the 800's had to offer.
Yeah, maybe so. But I don't think the approach of not even letting someone listen is justified. What if I told him I was just a lowly audio engineer like I am?

Their sales policy seems ****ed up to me.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax

fuuck

Im not surprised, i wouldnt have let you hear them either.

Just joking.

I will help you take a flame thrower to the place.

Let me know when.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

That sucks! I walked into my local B&W dealer's place in a grungy T-shirt and hair like I had just gotten up (I had) and the people the first thing they asked me once I asked if they had N802's was did I want to listen to a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Maybe you should!
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

You never know how much money people have, or will have, or who they know. So it makes no sense to not demo a speaker at a speaker shop. At the local place they have room after room of set ups. Progressive
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

That's really f-ed up.

They should know that a really common sales technique is to use the flagship model to sell the less expensive model. The more expensive model "speaks well" for the line.
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

Wow, what a crappy way to be treated!

I'm feeling pretty lucky about my recent experience when shoppng for B&W glory. I called ahead of time and told them we were interested in 804 or 803's. He was great and let know that he also had some 800 that we could hear as well. We spent 2.5 hours listening to 804/803/800's and there was never any pressure to buy. We even listened to some $140,000.00 Wilson's for grins.

We did not buy that day, or even let on that we were going to buy soon, and the sales Guy was totally cool. Two weeks later, we ordered a pair of 803S's, and they have us as a very loyal customer now. Great customer service should not be underestimated.

Mike Bruce
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You think that's bad?

check this out:

Before i got my B&W's, i was interested in getting some Dunlavy's (this was just before they went out of business)

I called the only shop in Holland that stocked them. They told me i'd have to pay 200 euro for the pleasure of listening to them, which would be refunded to me if i bought them (how generous!) - i passed (after swearing liberally down the phone)!
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

"Dont even LOOK at that one!"
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
"Still got the ol' tagger on it!"

MB
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

this is horrible...

i always find i freakin rude when they prefer a phone call to customers service.....
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

that is pretty ridiculous.

who goes into buying high end monitors with a "how much i'm looking to spend" attitude?

are you buying it for the frickin' price tag or are you buying the sound that comes from the monitors? Sounds like the salesman is just selling pricetags to me, with monitors atached to them.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's justifiable 'cause you know, each time you listen you suck some of the sound out of the speakers, eventually they'll be empty.....

Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Mastering speakers

I think I would have said, well right now I'm only willing to pay $100.00 for them, so I think it's time for you to get off that ass and sell, sell, sell like hell ! ! ! !

Captain
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Payback is a bitch....you go in again, let him know that you are a serious potential buyer and that you would like him to do some demo's for him. explain that you're renovating your studio, and that his store is the only place to hear the B&W's..blah blah blah... get him really amped that you're GOING to BUY. then proceed to listen to every damn speaker that they have, do A/B comparasons/ **** do A/B/C/D comparasons. be a jerk about it, negotiate price then you can either do one of two things after spending 4 hours listening to your cd collection on great speakers...

A. simply say "just kidding" and leave

or

B. give him your contact number, but give him the number to a 7-11, an auto parts store, an ex girlfriend, whatever....but tell him to call you tomorrow at that number and you're VERY interested in the most expensive pair that you demo'd

You get payback, and you get to demo speakers all afternoon
Old 20th May 2006
I dont see how you could seriously consider spending $30k on a pair of speakers (and power) without hearing them! If he wants you to be a potential customer, it might be wise to let you hear them and convince you that they are worth the price tag.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
I couldn't ever "hear the sustain."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search