The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Denoise plugin? Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Addict

Best Denoise plugin?

What are some good plugins for denoising (amp hiss, ventilation, etc)?
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Izotope RX is excellent.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Waves X-Noise and Z-Noise have worked well for me.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

wave arts sounded smooth to me
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Nut

MR Noise

For the money Wave Arts MR Noise is excellent. Just spent a ton of time demoing Waves, Izotope, Sonnox. As a former Sonic No Noise owner it was clear cut.

2 cents worth from one bloke
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I know it's somewhat proprietary, but I keep going back to Samplitude's restoration tools. I have RX but it drives me nuts, tried several others that didn't quite do the job.

For a smaller footprint, UAD's Precision Multiband (though I never use it as a compressor) is one of the best and most transparent frequency-conscious expanders I've ever used. Comes in handy when there's a threshold involved.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Another vote for RX.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

i checked all of them. the winner was the tc denoiser for the f.... poco
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
IMHO RX beats all the others.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I know it's somewhat proprietary, but I keep going back to Samplitude's restoration tools. I have RX but it drives me nuts, tried several others that didn't quite do the job.

For a smaller footprint, UAD's Precision Multiband (though I never use it as a compressor) is one of the best and most transparent frequency-conscious expanders I've ever used. Comes in handy when there's a threshold involved.
I'm also a fan of the PMB - it's a potent tool.

For DeNoising, I still use Algorithmix DeNoiser and often use Algorithmix Renovator (my most indispensable tool)

The Magix team have done a great job at adding tools partly inspired by Algorithmix, but I know the Algorithmix products backward and get great results very quickly.

To me, the best denoising is typically derived from combinations of multiple techniques. Patience and a determination to not settle for second best is golden. I also refer often to good headphones to be absolutely sure about artifact audibility etc. I prefer Etymotic ER4 earbuds for restoration QA, but also use Beyer Dynamic DT 880. It also helps to have an excellent room/system to enable the focus needed to determine the difference between "just enough" and "too much"

Sean
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
i checked all of them. the winner was the tc denoiser for the f.... poco

Really? I've almost always had better results with RX. I think only once did the TC one beat it in the duration of my usage.
Old 12th January 2012
Gear addict

They all leave artefacts, but RX is the best, a few projects saved in, and one can get pretty handy with it.

I also own DUY Silence, I've used it for years, and it can give okay results, I use it when "realtiming".

Oh, also have demoed the Sonnox Restoration stuff, that's very useful stuff!
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Really? I've almost always had better results with RX. I think only once did the TC one beat it in the duration of my usage.
yeah, ok. tc's denoiser works well for musical stuff.
for hiss, ventilation and background denoising i love waves wns. easiest and fastest way to clean up bad recordings!!!
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Addict

Samplitude's Cleaning and Restoration Suite is a good choice. Some noises like clicks and pops can be cleaned easily with Spectral Cleaner.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
RX is indeed really good.. I believe Cedar is a bit better in not leaving artifacts..
Although they are both great and the RX interface can't be beaten.. very intuitive!

I didn't like the one in Audition.. a lot of artifacts and works more like a "gate"..

Cheu
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It will be interesting to see where RX is headed. It is, IMHO, the best possible plugin for noise reduction that is available today . What the future holds is anyone's guess but I imagine it will just get better and better as time goes on. FWIW.
Old 12th July 2018
I agree with Tom... I have RX, Waves, Sonic, and WL 9's Sonnox plugs, plus a few others I rarely use. I just sprung for updating my RX5 to RX6 because it has some new tools I'm impressed with, while a lot of the older stuff sounds better with fewer artifacts, or are just simpler to use. It gets better and better with time. I hate re-purchasing tools that work fine, and RX5 falls in that category. However the improvements were sufficient to push me forward. Good stuff. Even the Standard bundle is pretty powerful, if you don't want to spring for Advanced.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
RX has indeed improved while Sonic NoNoise and Cedar seem to have rested on their laurels (to be fair they also had a 10+ year period where the algorithms were tweaked and refined to be better and better).

I still find that Sonic leaves less artifacts than RX, but it's a lot more involved to set up and use (thinking specifically of the Broadband DeNoise here, the Declick and other tools are very quick and easy to use).

Thor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search