12 Reviews written
Ozone 5 & Ozone 5 Advanced is Officially Released

iZotope Ozone 5 Complete Mastering System
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The thing is, the analyser look ace.

But does the world of "diy mastering" really need more flashy pretty lights

Your mix isn't finished until Ozone is on it.

sigh
Old 10th November 2011
looks awesome
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Downloaded it and does not work in AU on Lion. VST is working...
Anyone else ????
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
The thing is, the analyser look ace.

But does the world of "diy mastering" really need more flashy pretty lights

Your mix isn't finished until Ozone is on it.

sigh
it's a very good point Joe,
more and more shiny tools in the hands of kids.....

I also noticed that guy who is behind flux company (mastering plugs)
opened a webmastering service for 5 Eur per song if I am correct - so he is hitting his own potential clients
I dunno is it greed or blindness, or what...
sorry for offtopic - checking this ozone thing
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
I'm deciding on Ozone 5 vs Ozone 5 Advanced...
I've many other plugs (Sonnox Elite, all Psp, some Softube, Nugen Audio, Ik singles), so maybe I'll be fine with the basic package...
The price difference of the 2 options is very high and not totally worth it for me, but I'm looking forward to experienced users opinions, and many of you are more more experienced with me in professional mastering....
Please share your opinions...
Thank you
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
it's a very good point Joe,
more and more shiny tools in the hands of kids.....

I also noticed that guy who is behind flux company (mastering plugs)
opened a webmastering service for 5 Eur per song if I am correct - so he is hitting his own potential clients
I dunno is it greed or blindness, or what...
sorry for offtopic - checking this ozone thing
Call this progress.
Izotope 5 is just another tools. .Make you job quicker and faster. Nothing special.But this expensive price for advanced version
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Tried the limiter....works good....

And the metering is nice....heh

It would be cool if it would be possible to but only limiter...I don't need the other "stuff".
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
Tried the limiter....works good....

And the metering is nice....heh

It would be cool if it would be possible to but only limiter...I don't need the other "stuff".

I like options with seperate modules like T-RackS 3.But why we can`t buy only one component. with good reasonble price on this point.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The cheap green DIY software toy.

propagates much of the stuff that mastering isn't really about;

Multi-band compression, 3D analyzers, stereo wideners, enhancers, etc...

I'll bet they're jumping for joy at all the recording schools.

hahaha...

JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 10th November 2011 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: re-phrased
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
The cheap green DIY software toy.

propagates much of the stuff that mastering isn't really about;

Multi-band compression, 3D analyzers, stereo wideners, enhancers, etc...

I'll bet they're jumping for joy at all the recording schools.

hahaha...

JT
very true....
I like green though...sc2 and vc1 is the green I like a lot
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

nice! but it looks like i will skip the advanced version. I don't need seperate pluginns and analyzers. To me it looks like that is the only advantage between oz5 and oz5 advanced and not really worth the price.

It also seems there is something wrong with the site. if i login and try to get an update (which is cheaper of course) it logs me out and i don't see any upgrade offer when i'm logged in. Anyone else have this?
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Limiter is great great great. Stereo unlink is $ $ $. Man I wish I were rich.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Nice. Looking forward to demoing the limiter. I have no real interest in the rest of the modules but the limiter in Ozone 4 is pretty great (in intelligent 2 mode). Glad to see they added stereo unlink in Ozone 5 and a new algorithm.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Addict

Very strange pricing for Advanced. Why would anyone pay $400 more for singles of the same modules that you get in the basic version?
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

ut oh .. diamond of death ..

Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sounds like they would do very well to release the limiter separately as a nice simple uncluttered plug.
Even though the lead offer on the regular version is pretty affordable, I think a lot of the multiband and graphical bloat of the rest of it puts the some of the more fussy folk off.

PS. I've not used it so I'm in no way slating it. It probably has some very useful features inside that 'bloat' - Izotope really upped their game with RX and I doubt that Ozone 5 is the 'toy' that some of the folk here are saying it is. Just seems that not everyone really wants everything that Ozone has to offer and a limiter alone could be a clear winner. When the offer ends, $999 to get the limiter as a separate plug sounds a bit too much.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

btw : there is more to the advanced version than just individual instruments. . .

• Stereo link control lets you unlink stereo channels to process left and right separately, and freely adjust between fully linked and independent limiting on both channels.
  • Transient recovery adds emphasis to transients to help preserve rhythmic detail while maximizing loudness.
  • In Mixed Phase EQ mode, each node in Ozone's EQ can be linear-phase (flat phase response), minimum-phase (analog-like phase response), or maximum-phase. Variably adjust between these settings to change the transient response and pre-ringing characteristics of each individual band.
  • Unique new visualizations of phase delay and group delay by frequency let you see and better understand what effect your EQ choices have on the signal.
  • Independent curve shapes let you use the same analog-modeled filter shapes in all EQ modes, including linear phase and Matching modes.
  • New Early Reflections setting allows independent control over early reflections for precise control over the character of the reverberation.
  • Additional Reverb Modes simulate additional spaces for more variety and flexibility, including Theater, Cathedral, and Arena.
  • New Crossmix control lets you adjust the amount of stereo spread between the left and right channels' reverb signals.
  • Additional circuit-modeled Triode and Dual Triode modes for fresh new distortion and dynamic effects, adding the warm sound of a vintage preamplifier on up to four frequency bands.
  • New Stereoize Mode adds depth and natural-sounding stereo width to mono or very narrow mixes without sacrificing mono compatibility.
  • True Envelope Detection detects levels evenly across all frequencies and prevents aliasing or artifacts that RMS detection can cause.
  • The Detection Circuit Filter adds a variable slope high-pass or tilt filter for reducing pumping, ideal for single-band compression modes.
  • Variable Knee control offers a per-band, continuously variable knee control for every dynamics band for even more flexible compression.

- Meter Bridge is only in Advanced version as well ... eye candy.

I'm not a fan of Ozones sound, or ergonomics *at all*.. so doesn't make any difference to me... but for those considering it, advanced actually gives you more control.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Sounds like they would do very well to release the limiter separately as a nice simple uncluttered plug.
Totally. I emailed iZotope about this awhile ago and also suggested stereo unlink, oversampling options and releasing the limiter as a single plugin for purchase outside of Ozone.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yep - it's the one unit that they could very easily sell to all kinds of engineers that already have their EQ and dynamics well and truly covered. Include the dither options and it's a total winner.

If they do decide to do it, I'm sure they would wait until the intro offer has passed and the initial thrust of sales has started to fall into decline.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Maniac

New upgrade price and Maximizer Stereo Link feature in the standard version of Ozone 5 in an update soon.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7218341-post140.html
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbeck View Post
New upgrade price and Maximizer Stereo Link feature in the standard version of Ozone 5 in an update soon.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7218341-post140.html
Well that is good news. I love companies who listen to their customers.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

wow!
i'm a fan of the elephant3, but the limiter of ozone 5 is a stunner!
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Nut

Got the email and just tried Ozone 5.

It sounds better in an A/B with Ozone 4... or at least it was easier to dial in something that sounded better. The new interface is not so squinty.

But it's using 10% more CPU than the same setup on Ozone 4, which is a little too much for my iMac -- I'm getting overloads. This is with limiter, EQ, comp, and the stereo modules.

So, it does seem to sound better, but I may not be able to use it on ref mixes, which is where I need it. grr.

And still no substitute for pro mastering for a final product.

Certainly worth the upgrade if you've got the horsepower.

Edit: Update after using it for a few hours. It really sounds a lot better. I can get things far more "finished" sounding than before. Fortunately the CPU overloads are only a problem on some tracks.

Last edited by Bobine; 11th November 2011 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: update
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ozone 5 sounds WAY better than 4!!!!

The harmonic exciter is warmer and smoother!

Actually overall is just sounds better.

I just need to get adjusted to the new way of navigating.

Over all though it's DOPE!
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

In Ozone 4, I only ever really used the matchign eq because I found better things for everything else.

With 5, they have improved the matching eq a lot. I usually only used the matching eq for a visual reference just to see where I was at compared to a reference. But with Ozone 5, I decided to try the matching eq again. It was just a very subtle amount as the final eq for a master I was working on. It worked great. I almost felt like I was cheating.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

just did some quick testing and i must say that the limiter is indeed quite smooth.
The only thing i'm wondering is the EQ. Grab the eq point, drag it to let's say the left and then it continues to move even if you released your mousebutton. If i move a bit faster then it responds quite a lot later.. not good and reallyannoying.. i think it's some setting that i can't find or is it because i run it in demo mode?
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Is it me or could the complete pluginn be a lot smaller then it is right now? It's about 1.5 times as big as v4.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
I like what I'm hearing so far with 5: the III limiter is good and seems an improvement in clarity over II at similar settings. I like the EQ, and the fact that it and the limiter (and other modules) can stand alone in Advanced could be handy. I also found the 'hall' mode in the reverb surprisingly potentially usable, though I last used reverb in mastering several years ago.

FWIW, my 4-5 year old (SADiE) PC runs out of steam with the more demanding settings in the Direct X version of Ozone 5, but is happy enough at the moment with VST.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Is the limiter the same sound in the basic vs advanced or does advanced sound better
📝 Reply