The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vinyl releases from digital sources. Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 14th October 2011
Here for the gear

Vinyl releases from digital sources.

I buy a lot of new vinyl because I love the format. I enjoy the sound quality, and I enjoy the ritual of dropping the needle on a juicy slab of new vinyl. My question is about vinyl releases of titles that were originally recorded digitally. Besides the coolness factor, does the vinyl format have any sonic advantage when the release was tracked digitally? Is it critical that vinyl masters are cut from the original analog master (like, for instance the King Crimson "In The Court of the Crimson King" reissue), or can you expect great results from vinyl cut from a high-bitrate digital master (like most of the Porcupine Tree albums)?
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Does hitting stuff to tape mean it should not be digital?
I find its the same sort of thing.
When using higher resolution recordings and going to vinyl I find you get a better sound. When going from CD sometimes its also pleasurable. For the DJ side I believe it is sort of a pre-digestion device of what a system can really handle.

16.44 sources I say 50/50 on which sounds better provided the converters DAC are of quality.
Old 14th October 2011
Gear nut

Verified Member
What produces the best result is a good mix, regardless of the format. I have no prejudice against analog or digital for cutting. Not everything cut from tape sounds good - that part is a myth.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

I master a lot of albums that get a CD and vinyl release. I always drop the vinyl master a couple of dB (before the limiter), makes a big difference. And i send a 24 bit master to the vinyl house.

I.R.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonati View Post
What produces the best result is a good mix, regardless of the format. I have no prejudice against analog or digital for cutting. Not everything cut from tape sounds good - that part is a myth.
Let the Foo Fighters be the big example

BTW, vinyl releases are mostly done without limiting, or way less than digital recirdings, so they sound more dynamic and airy.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the new vinyl releases I've heard are made from the same crushed masters as the CD/iTunes versions.

I believe a good 88.2K or 96K 24-bit master is better going to vinyl than CD, especially since the guy doing the cutting will have way better converters than the fans have at home. Just PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't try to make the mix/master loud. That's the best way to ruin the potential for the vinyl disks.
Old 14th October 2011
Gear nut

Verified Member
It is a relief to get unlimited mixes w/ headroom left for cutting. That helps. And 24 bit is nice, whatever sample rate. Cutting from hi-res sources makes the vinyl more "special" in that sense. And you can market that.

I've also had good results from regular 44.1/16 bit CD masters as the source. It's always case-by-case and program dependent.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a relief to get unlimited mixes w/ headroom left for cutting.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
It is a relief to get unlimited mixes w/ headroom left for cutting. That helps. And 24 bit is nice, whatever sample rate. Cutting from hi-res sources makes the vinyl more "special" in that sense. And you can market that.

I've also had good results from regular 44.1/16 bit CD masters as the source. It's always case-by-case and program dependent.

If you consider the signal to noise and the available dynamic range, and the frequency response of the cutter head...A 16 bit source should be ample. A good D-A and and a source that hasn't been sat on by an elephant sonicly and good playback system make it special.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I notice that most of my older vinyl sounds much better than the newer vinyl being produced. Steely Dan, Fleetwood mac and Pink Floyd sound much better than the 180 gram pressing of The Killers - Day And Age for instance.
Old 17th October 2011
Gear nut

New vinyl releases are cut from the same ruined master that is crapped on to the cd. They just lower the overall volume of the crushed ****brick so the grooves will be deep enough.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

It all has to do with how hot the MIX is... Remember a lot of albums arent ruined by mastering, its the MIX engineer who often throws an L2 set to KILL on the whole thing and ruins it for all formats (death magnetic, etc)...

Also, higher weight vinyl doesnt sound different, it just does not wear/warp as easily as a thinner pressing...
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

A dedicated master with a higher sample & bitrate and less limiting is working for me. But don't think that vinyl is excluded from the loudness war! You just need to know how far you can go and still have a good sounding record. Did you know that the loudness war already started back in the days of motown or even earlier? ;-)
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Vinyl will sound great as long as the source is great...analog or digital.

The debut Donald Fagen album "The Nightfly" sounds very nice as a DDD CD recording or vinyl. The vinyl does sound better....more open, fuller sounding, and the drums have a lot more weight and a natural sound, especially on the title track.

That probably has to do with how the drums were processed back then....really sounds tinny and wimpy on that one song.

Bob James' "Grand Piano Canyon" is another digital recording that sounds nice on vinyl.

I still think in an ideal world, vinyl is best from an analog source but digital can still be very good and I think a "digital" vinyl probably sounds better than a great "analog" CD.
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Just PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't try to make the mix/master loud. That's the best way to ruin the potential for the vinyl disks.
Or of CD. I wish people would apply the same sensibility to digital releases.

Alistair

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search