The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
so I'm thinking about a second mastering EQ Equalisers (HW)
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
so I'm thinking about a second mastering EQ

So I'm looking at buying some to compliment my current EQ (modified Sontec clone design)..

I'm not looking at spending the earth, I'm looking at something that will be used on occasions, not something to use as my standard go to EQ to adding to mixes, the Sontec clone does that better than I ever imagined.

I am perhaps looking for something with a bit more attitude, something which is more obvious, and therefore won't work on everything, but will provide the wow factor on certain material, I realise my language is fluffy here, but perhaps you get what I'm trying to say.

I'm going to say 1500 GBP or less right now.

Here is the current rack just FYI, the RME is getting replaced pretty soon, pretty sure by a Lavry or Mytek DA...

Subsequent Mastering : Online Mastering : Nottingham, East Midlands, UK

I've looked at a few wildcards..

Orban blackface, or an Orban blueface and modding and upgrading it, because I hear they can make things jump out in a way softer, more pleasing EQs don't, but then don't have much headroom.

That new Kush Clariphonic, looks weird, but kinda mesmerising. My problem is with this is that I'm really looking for something to do notching and more aggressive shaping, as the Sontec top end is just marvelous.

The DAV mastering EQ, cool and smooth looking with completely switched design, yet I have NO idea what it sounds like as I've never seen anyone use them! The price is very tempting though, and I know for a fact that DAV tracking stuff is way too cheap for what it can do!

Other than that, I have no idea... I am in the early stages of looking, so feel free to chime in!!!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
also open to:

DIY projects
Vintage / Console EQs in pairs
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
mini massive I would love to hear .... transformer-less a switch on the back ...
never used it for real ... but a friend has one ... and the comments are good.
only a few limitations .. only a few bands ..
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
mini massive I would love to hear .... transformer-less a switch on the back ...
never used it for real ... but a friend has one ... and the comments are good.
only a few limitations .. only a few bands ..

Indeed, this was also one I was reading a review of, definitely aimed at the "sometimes use this one" kinda market, and priced to make it realistic.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

What about a summit tube eq? price can be right and not a sound you have in the arsenal yet
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
What about a summit tube eq? price can be right and not a sound you have in the arsenal yet
Yes this is another one I looked at, the second hand price for these seems incredibly reasonable.

Valves are something I am missing for sure, do the summits have the capability for tone shaping without any gain/cut?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Some of the old German stuff sounds awesome! If you can pick up a couple of Siemens W295bs, they are great fun. Really, really cool for Indie and Rock stuff that already sounds good, but needs a little vavavoom.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

I love my 295b's. The mid band is extremely unobtrusive/just sounds right, and both the high and low shelves work wonders.

I'd like to add the API mastering EQ to my setup.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
so I'm thinking about a second mastering EQQuad Eight VFX-200A VFX 200A Filter Module! | eBay

I often wonder about these things too, are they just boring clean filters, or the kinda filters that bump as the cut and provide focus where they cut? Like some of those old Neumann ones do?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Verified Member
I recently bought a Neumann W495stb modified (transformers removed and full recap), i 'm in love with that eq ! punchy low, really clear and define medium/high..so easy eq ...
If you can try one, you will keep it !
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe an API 5500? It would probably compliment your current EQ nicely. Also one of the more affordable options out there.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a TFPRO P9 in the classifieds that I got from DC. Great EQ. I used it in conjunction with an NSEQ-F and really enjoyed it.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Hmm, I don't think any of the possibilities mentioned so far will be useful for notching. For that, *and* for something that can aggressively torque the overall shape, I'd check out the Equalux if you want color, or a pair of Lil Freqs if you want zero color.

The Freqs will hit your pocket harder, but they can notch like a plugin if you want or go twice as wide as a Neve, and they manage to do deep cuts without robbing the sound of its soul. Plus, the HF limiters are an amazing tool to have in a mastering environment.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'd go a passive tube EQ to complement your T-filter EQ.

Inductor/capacitor with tube make up gain. A used Massive Passive for example, or you could get your DIY guy to make another one of Igors kits, there is a stepped Pultec...or just a Gyraf G-pultec.

Disclaimer- I know these are not real Pultecs, but the circuit and principle is similar.
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-d0 View Post
I recently bought a Neumann W495stb modified (transformers removed and full recap), i 'm in love with that eq ! punchy low, really clear and define medium/high..so easy eq ...
If you can try one, you will keep it !
no comment ... heh
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Or one the old Neumann OEDUO if you can find one, nice eq that one.

King Willy
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I'd go a passive tube EQ to complement your T-filter EQ.

Inductor/capacitor with tube make up gain. A used Massive Passive for example, or you could get your DIY guy to make another one of Igors kits, there is a stepped Pultec...or just a Gyraf G-pultec.

Disclaimer- I know these are not real Pultecs, but the circuit and principle is similar.
The stepped dual Pultec was always a first choice, me and Mark Watson (who built the Sontec clone), actually discussed this a few times, but he seems to have disappeared, hope he's ok!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
LOADS of food for thought here, thanks all.

My recording studio buddy is looking at some analogue EQs for tracking and mixing also, so we're gonna get a few bits in from KMR by the looks of things to try out.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just going to throw another one into the ring.. SPL Qure?

Just to add to this, they seem to divide opinion a lot, but come in at a very good price for the feature, plus have very unique circuitry.. I guess it's on my "pick up for cheap and throw if it's ****e list" along with many other mid price analogue EQs with theoretically mastering style controls....

I like the idea of some valve/excitement as I am essentially looking for something to inherently change/alter certain frequencies and provide a sonic stamp, not for general overall tone shaping, plus detented controls are always useful.

Hmmn. My brains definately alive with ideas right now!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Hmm, I don't think any of the possibilities mentioned so far will be useful for notching.
Maybe I'm having selective eyesight (highly likely), but I wasn't aware that was a prerequisite?
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Massive Passive is a good choice to compliment your Sontec.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Oh should also point out that I use Neon HR for all my subtractive EQ pre analogue chain.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrangel View Post
Massive Passive is a good choice to compliment your Sontec.
Unfortunately out of my price range right now, I'm looking for something sub 1500 new or second hand, it wouldn't be my main EQ and I'm still a small studio right now, I think there is always stuff that is usable a little cheaper than the "industry standard" so to speak, you just have to look a lot harder and test a lot longer.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thermionic Culture Pullet, passive inductor based EQ, partnered with the make-up gain pre of your choice (tube vs. SS, clean vs. coloured etc., you decide!)

GREAT at mid range cuts and boosts, and fairly coloured. I love mine.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
Thermionic Culture Pullet, passive inductor based EQ, partnered with the make-up gain pre of your choice (tube vs. SS, clean vs. coloured etc., you decide!)

Looked at demo-ing one of these alongside a DAV BG1 for make up
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Maybe I'm having selective eyesight (highly likely), but I wasn't aware that was a prerequisite?
It was buried in his post, but I noticed it because it was the reason he ruled out my eq:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
That new Kush Clariphonic, looks weird, but kinda mesmerising. My problem is with this is that I'm really looking for something to do notching and more aggressive shaping, as the Sontec top end is just marvelous.

Tonelux is cool because it's proportional q so the more you cut the narrower it gets, and it has switchable wide/narrow q.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
edited

Last edited by MandyC; 20th September 2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: wrong
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
It was buried in his post, but I noticed it because it was the reason he ruled out my eq:

Still demo-ing it though! Seems to different to not atleast listen to.
Old 20th September 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post

Absolutely: an unsung bargain. Superb sound (though I'd not call it coloured). Ben (Subvert) came up with some useful mods (switches, more flexible shelves) which I shamelessly copied and the result is a wonderful EQ still just shy of £1k. I use this partnered with the new Knif Soma - passive EQ loveliness.

I also loved the Clariphonic (pretty rave review in the current issue of SOS). If I were the OP I'd buy either of these and leave the notch duties to a decent digital EQ (Sonoris, MDW, Fab-filter, Flux etc).

Eric
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Is that your Kush Clariphonic review? If so it's one of the best written reviews I've seen in that mag, and I've had a subscription for as long as I can remember.

I may have picked something up second EQ wise.. not 100% yet. Don't want to jinx it, but I got a little more cashflow then expected this month so I fancy trying this thing out and moving it on if it doesn't work... watch this space.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search