The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
so I'm thinking about a second mastering EQ Equalisers (HW)
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Maybe I'm having selective eyesight (highly likely), but I wasn't aware that was a prerequisite?
Comment #1, Line 14.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Summit Audio is awesome for bass eq, but lacks the mid cut. Also lacks stepped knobs. I do use it for bass treatment and then follow it up with a plugin eq for dealing with mids if needed. Surprised I'm not hearing anyone bring up the Avalon EQs. They are expensive though. A Designs Hammer looks sweet too. But although its stepped, it looks like the steps are really big (2db increments) so it would be tough to get surgical. But not sure if that's always needed in mastering. It looks like a really nice piece of kit.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Unfortunately out of my price range right now, I'm looking for something sub 1500 new or second hand, it wouldn't be my main EQ and I'm still a small studio right now, I think there is always stuff that is usable a little cheaper than the "industry standard" so to speak, you just have to look a lot harder and test a lot longer.
My second eq here is an Avalon 747sp. My first is a Buzzaudio Req-2.2 (resonant like Sontec i guess).
I use the Avalon after comp, before a/d clipping with nice results. I use its eq as a cleanning/colouring eq and for volume purposes aswell using the valve stage (valves switched by Mullards NOS). Avalons have an airy highs and clean lows that i love. I can easily get some extra 2-3dbs with it cause i can clip hardlly on my orpheus with really nice results saving the sound by some distorted digital artifacts produced by the digital limiters.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM View Post
Absolutely: an unsung bargain. Superb sound (though I'd not call it coloured). Ben (Subvert) came up with some useful mods (switches, more flexible shelves) which I shamelessly copied and the result is a wonderful EQ still just shy of £1k. I use this partnered with the new Knif Soma - passive EQ loveliness.

I also loved the Clariphonic (pretty rave review in the current issue of SOS). If I were the OP I'd buy either of these and leave the notch duties to a decent digital EQ (Sonoris, MDW, Fab-filter, Flux etc).

Eric
Eric, you wouldn't possibly have the details of those mods would you? Email/PM is fine. Would TC carry them out for me if I sent my unit back to them?
Old 21st September 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
Eric, you wouldn't possibly have the details of those mods would you? Email/PM is fine. Would TC carry them out for me if I sent my unit back to them?
Hello Gregg - I do, I will, they will

Well worth doing - the shelves especially - though it's not a quick turnaround.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks Eric, I will mail them and ask about it!

I've never been that happy with the following on my Pullet:

A) The mid boost frequencies have 50% of their ranges much higher than I normally need to use

B) The high shelves are WAY too drastic

Hopefully the mods may address these issues!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want - I've got for sale IGS 'Rubber Bands' tube EQ (like pultec with some xtra features) with ext. PSU custom color (dark grey/blue/green-like).
This is DUAL MONO unit with one set of controls.

I used it almost on every master since I bought it early this year. Preffered it at the end of the chain, just before converter. It's really sweet.
Email me (or PM) for details if you're interested.

IGS Audio - Professional Studio Equipment - Rubber Bands
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
A Designs Hammer looks sweet too. But although its stepped, it looks like the steps are really big (2db increments) so it would be tough to get surgical.

The Hammer isn't stepped, but it's insanely broad so it's not useful for anything but the most gentle of cuts as an overall shaping thing; going deep with it cuts away too much energy in my experience.

That said, I *love* its 250, just a kiss on snare and it's old school heaven. Overall, I find the mids to be the strongest aspect of that eq.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st September 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
This is something they should offer in a "mastering version"
I remember reading about it here from you and Macc if memory serves me well. It is something I wanted to mention to Nick at the Messe over dinner but I completely forgot.
Guys, there are a zillion Phoenix versions, please release a "modified Pullet" straight from the box!
How good is the mod?
Are the shelves more useable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM View Post
Hello Gregg - I do, I will, they will

Well worth doing - the shelves especially - though it's not a quick turnaround.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 21st September 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
This is something they should offer in a "mastering version"
I remember reading about it here from you and Macc if memory serves me well. How good is the mod?
Are the shelves more useable?
Probably me and Ben Subvert - who thought about this first and works for the same outfit as Macc.

The mods are basically just switched gains for the unchanged cut and lift frequencies (0.5 dB increments to begin with) - very useful - but the shelves are transformed from the crude and not very useful 6 position (6dB?) to 12 positions cut and boost (+- 1.5 dB; +- 3dB) at 30, 16 and 9k.

Put some pressure on TC via Ben at Unity Audio and I'm pretty sure they'll think about starting a production mastering version.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would be grabbing that ITI 230 in the second hand section!

Unless you spend a bit more you are not really going to get anything great for mastering...as the old saying goes, you buy cheap you buy twice.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So,

I just bought this:

I'm not settling on this as my official second EQ, I'm still looking at another few... But I found a pretty good deal, 380 GBP, and it's possibly a bit of a project for me, as I'm just all about getting stuff, hearing it, modding it, hearing it again at the moment

One of the reasons I grabbed this is because I wanted something more stark, clinical, able to do very precise boosts and cuts, which I think is the opposite of my Sontec Clone, which is more about lovely swooping tonal shaping, sweetening, musicality. What the Sontec clone can't do is grab a dull snare and bring it forward, because it actually sounds too nice! Also looking at setting up a M/S matrix for this potentially.

If I don't like it, I'll sell it for what I got it for and move on..

Now all I gotta do is work out how to put XLRs on the back of this thing..
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So it's in the rack, now months of testing begin!

First impressions are that it couldn't sound anymore different than my Sontec clone, it's hard and focused, where you boost, you hear more, it's not softening as it boosts, its hardening, will come in useful for floppy sounding midrange on dance tracks that are meant to slam!
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So..

I've been thinking a lot about my set up, what I've realised is this thing actually slows down my wofkflow and although it sounds good, probably isn't going to get the use it deserves, so I'm going to move it along.. gear is a journey, not an absolute!

So if anyone is interested, Im gonna sell it for what I bought it for and just find it a happy home.

here is the GS sale thread if you want to pop any questions in, or email me

Orban 642b Blackface 400 Pounds UK
Old 15th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
What the Sontec clone can't do is grab a dull snare and bring it forward, because it actually sounds too nice!
Elaborate...??c

I thought the Sontec clone IS a precise EQ...

Maybe interesting...someone at classifieds is selling two DRIP Pultec EQ kits, almost finished...That's tubes and iron right there..but no stepped controls.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

I found that with the "side chain listen" pressed in, you have two extra bands of parametric on the Avalon 747sp. With the two parametrics and the graphic 6 band... have fallen in love with this box for an eq.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search