The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback on Track (Mastered by Tom Coyne)
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Feedback on Track (Mastered by Tom Coyne)

I recently played and produced the below track and have always used Australian mastering engineers. I've always felt something was missing, so on the recommendation of the mix engineer, got in touch with Tom Coyne at Sterling.

We're stoked with the result and his feedback during the process. A true professional and look forward to working with him in the future.

Would love some feedback on this track which is part of a label package for the artist. Features some friends and masters in their own right in David Labruyere and Michael Chaves.

*Track is below in signature.

Thanks guys!
JL
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Glad you're happy with the result.

I think theres several great choice MEs in Australia tho...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joashlawton View Post
I recently played and produced the below track and have always used Australian mastering engineers. I've always felt something was missing, so on the recommendation of the mix engineer, got in touch with Tom Coyne at Sterling.

We're stoked with the result and his feedback during the process. A true professional and look forward to working with him in the future.

Would love some feedback on this track which is part of a label package for the artist. Features some friends and masters in their own right in David Labruyere and Michael Chaves.

*Track is below in signature.

Thanks guys!
JL
Enjoyed the song, production, etc. Congrats.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very aggressive, painfully distorted sound (in the second half). If that's what you wanted, then great.

I'm not knocking Tom, 'cause i sometimes master things to sound like this if i think that that's what the clients want. Sometimes the client loves it, sometimes not. It's a guessing game. Sure, communication is the key etc etc, but when people say they want it "warm" and actually mean "bright", "hi-fi" when they mean "distorted" or "dynamic" when they mean "squashed", then.........
Old 18th September 2011
Is tom coyne a professional me? Worked with top artists?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Enjoyed the song, like the vocalist, don't like the mix (don't get me wrong, it's professional, just not my style), mastering-wise too much limiting for me for this genre. (unless mix was already limited).

Good luck with the package!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

A Sony album for which I wrote most of the music was mastered by Tom Coyne back in 2002. The session was unattended except for a brief look-in by myself and the singer on the album. A nice guy, but he brick-walled the album from end to end; each song is nothing but a black block, if you put them up on the DAW. That was his (astonishing) choice. The album starts getting aurally tiresome after like the 3d song; it's just relentless. And it's not aggressive music...lots of acoustic guitar and strings etc. That's when I began to wonder what the hell was happening in mastering rooms.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Krehm View Post
Enjoyed the song, production, etc. Congrats.
Thanks Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
Very aggressive, painfully distorted sound (in the second half). If that's what you wanted, then great.
I agree to an extent I.R. I think that has to do more with the mix. I had another tracked mixed by the same mix engineer and that seems to be his thing, despite mix notes and reference tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
Tom Coyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Enjoyed the song, like the vocalist, don't like the mix (don't get me wrong, it's professional, just not my style), mastering-wise too much limiting for me for this genre. (unless mix was already limited).

Good luck with the package!
Hey Kosmokrator thank you, and I like I said above. I think for the next track we'll try Tom Laune in Nashville. Love his recent mixes.

Nicholas West - what was the album?

Thanks for the feedback lads, really appreciate it. I'd also like to try Greg Calbi at Sterling since he mastered one of my all time favourite albums (Continuum - John Mayer).
Old 18th September 2011
wow, nice credentials.

I didn't feel the emotion from this song which is what this genre entails if I am not mistaken. The song feels very smashed. I don't know how to describe it as this is not my usual music. It feels very over done. Sorry for lack of terminology...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Joash - the album is called "Anne Warin"; self-titled solo album by a French singing star named Anne Warin, strangely enough. She recorded it for Sony / Epic in 2002, but I think there was some release problems with it so you might have a hell of a time finding it.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

I'm not knocking Tom, 'cause i sometimes master things to sound like this if i think that that's what the clients want. Sometimes the client loves it, sometimes not. It's a guessing game. Sure, communication is the key etc etc, but when people say they want it "warm" and actually mean "bright", "hi-fi" when they mean "distorted" or "dynamic" when they mean "squashed", then.........
agree...it's all about tastes..
I do what they want in simply words,
if client is happy - then job was done - sorted
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
No offence to You, but credits are NOTHING. I don't get it that people judge/pick ME only by impressive client list.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Tom Coyne is absolutely a top professional ME who works with top artists. Being a staff ME at Sterling Sound is just about as high as you can go in the business.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Sometimes the client loves it, sometimes not. It's a guessing game. Sure, communication is the key etc etc, but when people say they want it "warm" and actually mean "bright", "hi-fi" when they mean "distorted" or "dynamic" when they mean "squashed", then.........
... then it's miscommunication.

Not to imply that it's uncommon or that an initial interpretation isn't involved at mastering, but honestly it's not a guessing game. It's always sheer experience and communication – and for it to be effective it's got to be a two-way thing. I've never needed to patch in the PCMMindReaderator5000.

Also noteworthy, from the original post:
Quote:
"We're stoked with the result and his feedback during the process."
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
agree...it's all about tastes..
I do what they want in simply words,
if client is happy - then job was done - sorted
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this partly why we have the loudness war issue? To me it sounds like you are saying, "I personally don't care what it sounds like, if the clients happy then job done.... Next".

I'm now seeing how Mastering changed for the worse. Just because a client (a non expert) says "louder" why would top ME's simply say "Ok" - only one reason I can think of.... they don't care. Sad state of affairs we have.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass View Post
I'm now seeing how Mastering changed for the worse. Just because a client (a non expert) says "louder" why would top ME's simply say "Ok" - only one reason I can think of.... they don't care. Sad state of affairs we have.
Do you actually work in the music business? Or for that matter any business? Imagine a world where you go into Starbucks and ask for a coffee but they hand you a fruit cup instead because they've decided it's better for you. This is what you are proposing.

If a client wants it loud they get it loud, sometimes I'll communicate that it could possibly work better at a lower level, sometimes not depending on the client and their experience. I care deeply about my client's music and their wishes, in fact I care more about it than doing what pleases me. Imagine that!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

The production sounds great, the end result sounds great. Translates really really well on my laptop.

Production aside, the vocal melody choices are strange for this song, and long vibratos seem out of place. I think I'd want to hear a dark, male vocal on it, something that produces the feeling of travelling, paints a picture. The music is really good!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
I care deeply about my client's music and their wishes, in fact I care more about it than doing what pleases me. Imagine that!
You immoral capitalist pig!
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
No offence to You, but credits are NOTHING. I don't get it that people judge/pick ME only by impressive client list.
None taken bro.

I have never worked with an m/e and was curious as to why he was picked is all. I figure most peeps would pick an m/e based on the work he has done and with who. I really dont know though is why I asked.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas West View Post
...Being a staff ME at Sterling Sound is just about as high as you can go in the business.
Thanks.

Who approved the album you didn't like?

Just curious 'cause most of my clients approve the record before it goes out to the public. Someone in your camp gave it the green light.
Old 25th October 2011
Here for the gear

I also looked for someone in Aus to master my songs this year, but there just didn't seem to be anyone that was standing out at the time. With the dollar up it gave me the chance to look overseas for something different. Tom Coyne from Sterling Sound mastered my songs - I'm no expert but I was very impressed. Songs are here if you want to hear how they sound http://kerriehoskins.com/

Last edited by Khoskins; 25th October 2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: problems with link
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Addict

Hit play. The bass was too loud. Hey wait - i had turned up the bass on my mixer. EQ is flat, ears are clean... time for a good listen.

Honestly, i liked it. It doesn't sound as smashed as the waveform shows, that's probably because of the continuous bassline. I agree that the second half sounds distorted, particularly the electric guitars and the crashes, but to me it sounds like that was done in the mix, as the vocal stays clean. I'd back off the limiting a touch but that's personal preference. Sounds good as it is.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Nut

Sounds very professional. I wish the bass drum was a bit deeper, that's probably a mix thing, and also just my taste. Unbiased critique on the mix and master: very professional, vocals recording is awesome, really smooth and modern, great work. My own opinion: not my style of music :P Needs a bit more pump in the bass section as well.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Thanks.

Who approved the album you didn't like?

Just curious 'cause most of my clients approve the record before it goes out to the public. Someone in your camp gave it the green light.
Isn't that just one of the most overlooked facts?

I wish people would realize that before blaming the ME.
Blame the client.
They asked for it to sound like that.

"Hey, can you throw me off this cliff?"
"I'll pay ya"
"Sure, pay me first N I'll throw you off this cliff, no problem!"
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Nut

NOt sure about the mix actually. The mix choices are bothering me a little. It's not bad, but I'm not digging it. Everything is hitting me over the head. Not a Mastering issue. I don't mind loud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search