The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could use an AES perspective..
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Could use an AES perspective..

Hi gang, long time, no see. I was perusing this article in Sound On Sound, which purports to shed new light on the "Loudness Wars" [cue Star Wars theme] I think it doesn't, but I'm willing to admit that my maths may not be up to the challenge. It appears the author is using a new EBU standard to produce some surprising findings about what constitutes loudness and what's objectionable to the ear; I suspect otherwise, and that this new EBU method for computing crest factor is hogwash, or at the very least, whitewash. What say you?

The piece's author has attempted an explanation, which I find none too convincing. Am I missing something? Because I can't, for the life of me, comprehend how background noise or the noise floor can have any utility in determining the relative loudness, whether crest factor or RMS average is concerned.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The article is extremely oversimplified and reaches very questionable conclusions. I think it's not worth the paper...

GR
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Has already been discussed:

Continuing in the long tradition of GS loudness debates

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search