The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the ‘loudness war’ has not decreased the loudness range
Old 17th September 2011
the ‘loudness war’ has not decreased the loudness range

"We all know music is getting louder. But is it less dynamic? Our ground-breaking research proves beyond any doubt that the answer is no — and that popular beliefs about the ‘loudness war’ need a radical rethink."

that's the lead in to the following article:
‘Dynamic Range’ & The Loudness War

comments on the article? (oh, ya, and please READ the article before commenting. ya, I know it takes some effort to get through it, but as someone who used to teach research design at university, I assure you it is very well written).
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

This article has been mentioned at least three times before.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by editronmegatron View Post
I have to check, but I'm pretty sure it was recently "decided" that the article is f.o.s. in significant part.

For one thing, do you actually need to be a brain surgeon to simply listen to the difference between the way stuff sounded before the loudness war went into overdrive, and they way it sounds since then? I mean, really.
I have to agree. I've not read all of the article as there are better things to do, like go outside in the fresh air.

"But is it less dynamic? " well....who gives a f***. It doesn't sound all that nice,...dynamic or not. I must check my limiters to see if they are actually reducing the dynamic range or is it just a myth...

Sorry so negative, but thats a big article written by someone who has too much time on his hands...I don't deny his intentions,..but.....well anyway, It's raining and I'm going to take in the fresh air

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search