The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM27 VS ATC scm25 VS Focal SM9 Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Which ones would you say is the best for mastering?
Barefoot MM27
72 Votes - 33.64%
ATC scm25
79 Votes - 36.92%
Focal SM9
63 Votes - 29.44%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
I've been mastering with the MM27 for two and half years, and love them! now more than ever because I know them and my room so very well. They're the most important tool I own.
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Addict

Has anyone had experience with either of these monitors to compare:

Barefoot MM35
Focal Solo6Be with Sub6 Be
PMC TB2S-A ii

I currently have been using the K&H O300Ds. I like the tonal balance, but the imaging is a little hard to discern center from wide left and right.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett View Post

Barefoot MM35
PMC TB2S-A ii

I currently have been using the K&H O300Ds. I like the tonal balance, but the imaging is a little hard to discern center from wide left and right.

Haven't heard the K&H but if they sound anything like they look (the design, how i picture a large polyprope cone to sound, etc), the Focals are probably going to be noticably more forward/obvious/articulate in the mids. I also say this from having heard some O300 mixes at my studio (which had really fat soft bass but some mid range mud in the reverb etc that was really obvious on my B&W Matrix 805s (and the Focals are WAY more revealing in terms of speed/imaging than the B&Ws-> least on my ADCOM amp)).
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Akira View Post
Ordered SM9 yesterday cause my dealer made me a great price. I'm sure I'll love them
Focals are "hard priced" i.e. illegal to discount, might not want to mention this online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Nothing wrong with describing your honest experience. All I can say is that for me the differences are anything but small. But one person's small is another's huge... It's all relative... Of course, we must all get used to our references and learn how to work within their limitations, regardless. And you're absolutely right that the effects of the room can swamp everything else. But even upgrading capacitors in the crossover in an existing design can make a significant difference in the system's ability to resolve detail, so to say that there is no significant difference between vaguely similar designs is very sweeping and misleading, IMO.

I have spent a lot of time tweaking my reference system, through many component changes, as well as modifications of my current components, including gutting and redesigning my amp, mods to the speakers, cables, etc... and I value all the changes I've made as significant. But that's me...
+1, I just spent a week or two debating between Solos vs. Twins and finally found some aspects of twins that solos don't do as well and it was a VERY clear / important choice.. and back to the person you were responding to, I've tried similar sized boxes in similar price range that translated horribly (hello Adam P22A) in comparison. there is something to be said for actual technologies used though - example: focals glass cones (basically) do yield far more revealing mids than any polypropolyne (dyns, mackies, older adams, etc) i've ever heard.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett View Post
Barefoot MM35
PMC TB2S-A ii
I have demo'd all of the above and spent time working on 0300's.

Barefoots will give you flat extended low end like nothing else.
Didn't really like either focal.
TB2's are nice but preferred the previous model's tweeter.

ATC 25's are my current speaker and the imaging is stunning. Solid center and the width and depth from them is special.
They are worth a listen if you are liking the 3 way thing (like 0300's)
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

I have heard very good things about the newer Genelec 8260's. Genelec 8260A Has anyone compared this monitor to the Barefoots or Focal?
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've had the chance to hear the Focal SM9 a few times and I bought a pair for my studio. I can't really compare it to the other speakers you mention but the SM9 is a great speaker!

Should receive my pair in a couple of weeks.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I have heard very good things about the newer Genelec 8260's. Genelec 8260A Has anyone compared this monitor to the Barefoots or Focal?
I was very, very underwhelmed by the Genelec 8260. Did not like it at all.

I did hear them in a very well treated room..... the same room I heard the Barefoot MM27s in.

the Barefoot MM27 were a bit like NS10s.... with way more midrange detail.... with a sub. I found the bottom end to be somewhat 'disconnected"

they did put out a remarkable amount of low end tho.

i have not heard the similar Focals.

and

check out ATCs for sure. I ended up getting ATCs and they are fantastic.

Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear
As it this a thread about loudspeaker for mastering, I like to mention that I have just demoed the PSI Audio A21M and A215M are for mastering. I'm amazed how accurate and analytic are these loudspeakers for mastering. I have redone some masters with these loudspeakers ( I was on Geithain RL940) and the masters sounds much better, more full, clear and dynamic. Why? Just because I have taken the right and accurate decision especially for equalisation. I will do a report in a new thread, this is really fantastic!
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
As it this a thread about loudspeaker for mastering, I like to mention that I have just demoed the PSI Audio A21M and A215M are for mastering. I'm amazed how accurate and analytic are these loudspeakers for mastering. I have redone some masters with these loudspeakers ( I was on Geithain RL940) and the masters sounds much better, more full, clear and dynamic. Why? Just because I have taken the right and accurate decision especially for equalisation. I will do a report in a new thread, this is really fantastic!

Not the A25M which go lower than the A215M(not sure why designed that way)?

I would think the 21 vs 215 would be different levels

D
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
the Barefoot MM27 were a bit like NS10s.... with way more midrange detail.... with a sub. I found the bottom end to be somewhat 'disconnected"

That's exactly what I felt too.

I ended up with Opals, though I do have other monitors to play with also (Truth audio, NS10m, JBL LSR, York YSM1, etc.) .

Didn't play with ATC's only due to the price difference (SCM25's are more than 2x the cost).
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Maniac

To all those interested, Focal SM9s have been shipping for a few weeks now.
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

I ended up with Opals, though I do have other monitors to play with also (Truth audio, NS10m, JBL LSR, York YSM1, etc.) .
How do you find the Opals for mastering?

Best,

Owen Gillett
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Gillett View Post
How do you find the Opals for mastering?

Best,

Owen Gillett
Sorry, I don't do any mastering (other than ghetto mastering in a pinch).
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

The MM27's translate very well for me. I did have to get used to them after Adam P33A/Sub10MKii combo - the folded ribbon tweeter was something I missed at first, but after getting used to the soft dome tweeter I found my footing with them.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
The MM27's translate very well for me. I did have to get used to them after Adam P33A/Sub10MKii combo - the folded ribbon tweeter was something I missed at first, but after getting used to the soft dome tweeter I found my footing with them.
exiting. Have the same combo here (The Adams). How would you desribe the difference between the Adams with sub ans MM27's? I've never been completely satisfied with the Adams and find them extremely difficult to place and get to play well with my pretty well treated room.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

14 people voted for the Focal SM9. How is that possible when only one person in the entire thread has heard them? Only on GS.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
14 people voted for the Focal SM9. How is that possible when only one person in the entire thread has heard them? Only on GS.
Many more people voted in the poll for all the monitors listed (not just the SM9), than have posted here.

Every poll I've seen in ANY forum usually has WAY more voters than posters.

So, hardly a 'Only on GS' moment

And BTW, I've posted in this thread but didn't Vote, 'cos I've only heard one of the monitors in the poll.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
There was a SM9 pair that has been touring Europe and the USA last year, so it's possible that they could hear them on those demo sessions. And don't forget NAMM and Musikmesse.

But as Fleaman said, this a normal behavior in web forums.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
There was a SM9 pair that has been touring Europe and the USA last year, so it's possible that they could hear them on those demo sessions. And don't forget NAMM and Musikmesse.

But as Fleaman said, this a normal behavior in web forums.
Last summer, some 60-70 engineers and producers in the UK received demo's of the SM9 and the first production pairs were delivered to UK clients almost three weeks ago. We are hugely backordered.

My demo pair reaches many sets of ears each day. This afternoon will see a presentation of the them to Alchemea in London.

You might like this... http://www.scvlondon.co.uk/proaudio2...XrPWYXUD.shtml
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Addict

Barefoots for mastering...

A mastering engineer friend once visited my studio and brought a file he mixed, to play on my Barefoots (which he mastered on Dunlavy). His comment was "no surprises here"
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasound View Post
A mastering engineer friend once visited my studio and brought a file he mixed, to play on my Barefoots (which he mastered on Dunlavy). His comment was "no surprises here"
right... but the trick is that he CREATED the master in his room, on his Dunlavys.

if the reverse had happened.... if he had mastered the music in your room, on Barefoots... he might have taken the mixes to his room, listened on his Dunlavys, and said "ooohhh this sounds wrong"

a great master will sound decent anywhere.

just saying..... heh
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear
Richard, did you get the SM9?
Your opinion?
I use now PSI A21M for my set up and they have to be put in high consideration for mix and mastering purpose
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

If you like the Focal Twins, you will love the SM9's. If you don't care for the Twins, you will want the ATC's.
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I read most of the threads on gearslutz and elsewhere about both monitors. I listened to the Barefoots, but too long ago and out of context. (I was using Dunlavys at the time and wasn't really looking for anything else.)

I talked to users of both. After considering what was said and what wasn't said, I opted for the ATC SCM 25A. There were several issues that swayed me, these may or may not concern you.

Without hearing Barefoots in the same room, I can't make any wild claims. But I can say that I am extremely happy with my choice. I doubt that I would have been unhappy had I gone the other way and picked the Barefoots. But I've had little problem setting up the ATCs, getting the phantom center was a piece of cake, and the sound has impressed me (formerly using Dunlavys in a large, properly treated space) but also friends of mine who listen on Cellos and other high end home systems.
Old 4th May 2012
Gear Addict

Also consider Unity Audio - The Boulder

Another one to be considered in and amongst these fine models is the Unity Audio Boulder 3 way active. There's a few threads on the site re this, and also relevant to this thread there's a post from Nigel Palmer who is a mastering engineer.

Here's what Nigel had to say;

For about 30% less than the ATC 25s you can get a pair of Unity Audio Boulders, which are probably closer in performance to the ATC 50s.

Although there's a reason ATCs are priced as they are, the Boulders are excellent value for money and IMO suitable for mastering: I had a set here for some time while reviewing them for Audio Media, and they became my main work monitor for about a week with no complaints from me or my clients. You could use a sub with them, but I didn't feel the need.

BTW, I have no business connection with Unity.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Head

million years latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop View Post
Anyone who has heard both the ATC SCM25 and Focal SM9, care to give their opinion?

It seems like the SM9's have been delayed until the 1st quarter of 2012 according to my dealer.

There is no way I can demo the MM27's.

Not sure how long I would have to wait for the SM9's to surface.
I know its been a while, but.....

I have a friend that proudly brought over his barefoot mm27 speaks and was raving about them. I have ATC SCM200 mains which kick some serious ass and i haven't heard a rival to those yet even after hearing scads of high end monitors in some "world class" studios.

after my friend popped up his barefoots we put on my ATC mains and he was blown away, not the reaction he thought he would have at all.

The barefoots went on sale the next day and were sold off that week to a happy buyer. He now is the proud owner of ATC SCM25 Mid fields and has never looked back.
Old 28th September 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

i'm in the same decision boat about these 3 speakers... though, i'm not surprised your friend liked a pair of $40,000 speakers over his $8,000 speakers.. buying SCM25 based on liking SCM200 is sort of like buying adam A5 because you love the A4x and thinking you'll get the same performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn sullivan View Post
I know its been a while, but.....

I have a friend that proudly brought over his barefoot mm27 speaks and was raving about them. I have ATC SCM200 mains which kick some serious ass and i haven't heard a rival to those yet even after hearing scads of high end monitors in some "world class" studios.

after my friend popped up his barefoots we put on my ATC mains and he was blown away, not the reaction he thought he would have at all.

The barefoots went on sale the next day and were sold off that week to a happy buyer. He now is the proud owner of ATC SCM25 Mid fields and has never looked back.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I reviewed the SM9s a while back, and although I thought they were great tracking and mixing monitors, for me they wouldn't be high on the list for mastering. Apart from anything else, the Focus 2-way mode suggests that Focal have aimed them at the T&M world, as it's not something I imagine most mastering engineers would use very much. I felt the SM9s weren't neutral-sounding enough for a mastering monitor, and although some of that can be mitigated with the extensive onboard EQ I personally would rather work with something requiring little or no adjustment, just sounding good in a well-designed room after running in.

I'm aware that a number of MEs use SM9s for mastering (including Miguel who posts here), and if they work for them in that context I'm glad - we all know loudspeakers are such a subjective thing, and if I was a mixer I'd probably want a set!
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i'm in the same decision boat about these 3 speakers... though, i'm not surprised your friend liked a pair of $40,000 speakers over his $8,000 speakers.. buying SCM25 based on liking SCM200 is sort of like buying adam A5 because you love the A4x and thinking you'll get the same performance.
The whole ATC SCM (NUMBER) ASL Pro range DO all actually sound very similar. If you look at the specs, the only things that change are the enclosure and woofer sizes. Larger enclosure and larger woofer means more bass extension. That's it really, the mids and highs sound very similar throughout the range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search