The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite mastering Eq for Treble frequencies Equalisers (HW)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Favorite mastering Eq for Treble frequencies

Howdy and thanks for your time and responses.

Would love to get some suggestions for a hardware mastering EQ that you mastering folk favor for the upper frequencies.... namely the 4-8k range....
looking for that sweet boost without sounding brash...

any suggestions or experiences with units would be awesome to hear about.

thanks heaps

Ladvin
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Stinky View Post
Howdy and thanks for your time and responses.

Would love to get some suggestions for a hardware mastering EQ that you mastering folk favor for the upper frequencies.... namely the 4-8k range....
looking for that sweet boost without sounding brash...

any suggestions or experiences with units would be awesome to hear about.

thanks heaps

Ladvin

It would be quite decadent to have an eq just for HF work. MEA-2 Maslec is good. But the TG wins the day
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
fairman TMEQ gives a nice ride ...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sontec without a doubt!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd View Post
It would be quite decadent to have an eq just for HF work. MEA-2 Maslec is good. But the TG wins the day

TG?, never heard of it?

hehe, yeah, you know I find for cutting lower mids I personally believe most top end eq's do this nicely... but boosting the uppers..... another story...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Sontec without a doubt!
going to look into this one, thanks heaps...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Can obviously depend on whether correction or "tone" is needed, but Sontec MES 462 or 432, NSEQ-F (Forssell mod) or Massive Passive, or a prototype custom tube EQ I've tried.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Verified Member
Shelving control on my MES 430! It's amazing!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Of the ones I've tried, my favourites so far for highs (though center / shelve point often placed higher than 4-8k) have been

shelve on the Sontec 250c (soft & airy)
hi bell on the Sontec 462 (transparent)
shelve on the NSEQ-2 Forssell modified (piercy fresh airy)
shelve on the avalon 2077/2055 (sizzly/exciting)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Verified Member
_for soft velvet and warm air, i really love the 16K peak on the EAR 825Q

_i also like the shelve of the Neumann W495STB, starts early enough when needed, precise without becoming harsh
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

+1 for the Maselec MEA-2.
Its potential for opening up mixes using it around 8K2 is fantastic.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp W OM View Post
+1 for the Maselec MEA-2.
Its potential for opening up mixes using it around 8K2 is fantastic.
Depends on the revision. I found the 7 to be less than the 6 in this department. But the bass and lower mids on the 7 are tighter. Tops on the 6 are my fave.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
Of the ones I've tried, my favourites so far for highs (though center / shelve point often placed higher than 4-8k) have been

shelve on the Sontec 250c (soft & airy)
I love wide bells on the Sontec MEP250EX also. The high band (with its "sheen" option) on the Rupert Neve designed Amek Medici is mighty sweet as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Does the Dangerous BAX get mention or is it not in the same league? Curious, hear nothing but the best about it especially for the purpose of this topic.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sontec is nice .. but $$$$

Check out the EQ230P ... it's brand new, Zen is the US distributor.

solid-state pultec feel .. very smooth without being harsh. PLUS it has full digital control, so recall literally is the push of a button.

oh yea .. and a HPF with 1dB steps from 18Hz-250hz

... really good 'high-freq' box if you can live without stupid narrow bandwidths. (favors broad a'la pull-take) Dave Pensado and Bob Katz both liked it, for what it's worth..

*disclaimer* I wrote the (currently unreleased) manual from having a pro-type, and Bob helped out with xfer functions .. but I purchased one once I was done ... and had them do an M/S mod on it to boot
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sontec and Fairman are the ones i use depending on the program material...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Buzz Req-2.2 mastering.......

Smoove...
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
oh yea .. and a HPF with 1dB steps from 18Hz-250hz

... really good 'high-freq' box if you can live without stupid narrow bandwidths. (favors broad a'la pull-take) Dave Pensado and Bob Katz both liked it, for what it's worth..

*disclaimer* I wrote the (currently unreleased) manual from having a pro-type, and Bob helped out with xfer functions .. but I purchased one once I was done ... and had them do an M/S mod on it to boot
Given that you wrote the manual... A high pass filter with 1dB steps?? Or do you mean a low shelf?
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

nope .. The P-section has a low-shelf, like the original pultecs .. selectable 20,30,60,100Hz.

There is also a HPF from 18Hz to 200Hz (or 250? not sure off the top of my head) ... it's analog, but based on control voltage controlled by digital. So they are able to adjust it in 1dB steps. (exactly how it works .. you'll have to ask the designers .. I know it's optical connectors to keep noise down)

The digital encoders are velocity dependent .. so you have to turn them very slowley to get that fine a range .. a normal spin whips them around so you can get to where you're going quickly.

The Metric Halo ULN8 is also digital encoders controlling analog parts. You can do 0.5dB gain changes on inputs and outputs as well.
Old 21st September 2011
I suspect Adam's wondering how dBs factor into HPF adjustment -- normally you just set the freq and perhaps the slope or steepness. What would 1dB steps mean in this context?

Looks like a cool EQ though! Even if the lack of physical feedback on the encoders might put off a few engineers.
Old 21st September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

i think the Kush Clariphonic is pretty much made for this duty.

at least from what i read.. never tried one myself. my personal favorite is the 8khz shelf on a massive passive. not so much a "high end boost" but a "high end opener"
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

LMAo! I gotcha! My mistake in terminology. Thanks for pointing that out.

yes, it is a fixed dB roll-off .. I meant to say changeable in 1Hz increments. . . Dumb mistake, sorry to confuse. (good thing there were excellent editors, huh) ;-)

re: physical feedback :

the encoders are dented, if what you mean is 'not smooth turning', you can feel each click.

The pro-type I had just had the few small LED's surrounding the knob to show exactly what any setting was set to . . Their idea being, if you can save it and recall .. you don't need to see absolute values, an approximation would be ok. . . But after feedback from a couple engineers ... they added true feedback.

When you change a setting (dB, or Hz) the value momentarily shows in the 3 digit LED display (used for recall/store states). I like to keep paper recall sheets even if the gear can save/recall internally.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelistics View Post
Sontec and Fairman are the ones i use depending on the program material...
I thought the Sontec was a tracking EQ and the Fairman was a dobro overdub EQ.
Old 21st September 2011
I think the focusrite blue 315 mk ii is awesome in all frecuencies.
Old 21st September 2011
And the ear 825q!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliomastering View Post
I think the focusrite blue 315 mk ii is awesome in all frecuencies.

Yup, love the high shelf from the Focusrite ISA (and variants: Red, Blue, etc.).

Never harsh. Wonderful.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 on the Clariphonic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search