The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mastering problem
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

mastering problem

ahoy!

Ive recently masterd an album. And when I burn the album on to a disk the tail end of the previous song is on the current song. This is to a very miniscule scale. I think this has something to do with the fact there are no gaps between some of the songs on the album as they flow into one and other. Also this problem only occurs with the songs that have no gap between them.

It must be something serious because the manufacturer first send out a master and the same thing happend (this is why i chose to do it myself)

I have zero clue what to do??
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What program are you using to burn the cd?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ahoy.

First, you have to use a DAW that allows you to put the markers at any arbitrary closeness to the audio and also be able to audition that. You then simply have to put the markers where they will be close enough to the cue point as possible while leaving enough lead-in so that if you command the transport to begin playbak at middle of CD, somewer, it will not be playink little tail end of previous track number before playing correct song beginnink.

If there is no silence between two songs, you must place the mark somewhere that the tail you must inevitably "eat*" is not objectionable. heh

CD mark offsets can be programmed which move the markers by a small amount earlier in the time line to account for the delay of some players to unmute once roll begins. I say, go for the longer times for maximum compatibility and allow for some silence after all, or make the medley a friggin' medley, already (with no start mark stepping on the segue! )

I like to leave 300 ms for mid-CD track mark lead-in and 900 ms for track 1 lead-in. When the beginning is a little bit of extremely low level ambiance for a pregnant pause before the lights all come on, I welcome it - better than a brusque needle drop. ymmv

Laarsø

* This means, you will either have the previous track number cut off in shuffle mode or after extraction, since the new track mark describes the defacto end of the previous selection (until iTunes recognizes mid-CD end marks), or you might have audible "tail" before the start of the selected selection if your CD transport unmutes too soon.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sounds as if you should have set a zero offset between tracks, even so, you're at the mercy of the cd player really...they can pick up the track by varying degrees of accuracy from my experience. You can only get it to 1/75 of a second as thats the frame rate of the cd.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

I am using samplitude and everything is perfect on there. the markers and everything. but i will try that offset thing and see if that works. thanks for the help!

if there are any other ideas from people please still post them cos i can imagine this not working. Because the files are perfect and i have burnt the cd using other programs like itunes etc.
Old 15th September 2011
+1
Set the "between track" delay to zero. Might be called something different on your software.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd View Post
Sounds as if you should have set a zero offset between tracks, even so, you're at the mercy of the cd player really...they can pick up the track by varying degrees of accuracy from my experience. You can only get it to 1/75 of a second as thats the frame rate of the cd.
Absolutely. I use 6 (CD) frames for normal transitions and 0 for cross-fades or tight ones. But there is variability in the way different players pick up the cue point.

DC
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I think i have set the delay to zero. It has 0 time between songs if thats what you mean? if not how do i do it?

Also if it is down to the CD player is there anything I can do? Is there someone who could do it properly, even though the manufacturing company had the same problam and im guessing theyre using decent cd burners.

After all ive heard professional album where the tracks flow into eachother so it cant be impossible!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin7475 View Post
I think i have set the delay to zero. It has 0 time between songs if thats what you mean? if not how do i do it?

Also if it is down to the CD player is there anything I can do? Is there someone who could do it properly, even though the manufacturing company had the same problam and im guessing theyre using decent cd burners.

After all ive heard professional album where the tracks flow into eachother so it cant be impossible!
The zero I'm referring to is 0 frames of offset in the PQ mark. Normally there is a default value (around 6 CD frames) and if you have a tight transition or overlap this should be set to zero.

It's not related to the time between the tracks, that can be anything you want.

Dave
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If samp is like sequoia, you'll find it in "CD index manager". You'll see what Dave and others are referring to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search