The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
try removing one of the reprod amp cards ans see if the problem persits ..
if one of the cards is not okay, it will "block" recording ... at least it was @ my 1/2 inch ..
I'm not mistaken .. it was the reprod_amp_card , so NOT the record_amp_card ...

one of the large capacitors on my faulty reprod card was gone .. replaced it and it's running great since ... :-)))

good luck with yours , great machines to have .....
Thanks! I'll try this.

It sure sounds better than my A807 or A810!

Taneli
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Nut

recording mode fixed!

Good news!
I'm happy to announce that my A80 RC works now flawlessly both in repro and rec mode.

It was (like I imagined) those rec amp reed relays that were bad preventing rec signal reach up to the rec head.

For some reason one of the pins(#6) in both original relays were cut off (negative coil). I have no idea why it was done like this.. Anyways I soldered new replacements with all the pins to the PCB socket and voilà! Recording works as it should.

While I was exploring the problem I recapped all the lytics and one suspiciously fragmented film capacitor.

All is good now thanks for the support!

Taneli

p.s. Right kind of drop in replacement for the Studer reed relay is W172DIP-150 24vdc SPDT like this one:

http://www.serelays.com/library/sect...05A_172DIP.pdf

some pics of the lovely beast:
Attached Thumbnails
studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love-screen-shot-2012-04-12-9.36.11-am.jpg   studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love-screen-shot-2012-04-12-9.44.54-am.jpg   studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love-screen-shot-2012-04-12-9.44.21-am.jpg   studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love-screen-shot-2012-04-12-9.46.05-am.jpg  
Attached Images
studer a80 MKII - VU half inch needs some attention @ love-screen-shot-2012-03-27-11.14.11-am.jpg 
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Finland just got a little better/brighter :-) congrats ....
good work, the start of a great journey ...

Q : on capstan_bearings & oil .... is it true MK1/2/4 and RC need different capstan oil ?? .. some guys won't give me the answer .. so asking around here ... what's te going practice on capstan_bearing oil ??? :-)
Old 12th April 2012
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
I use Isoflex PDP 65 on my 1982 A80 RC.
Not 100% sure but I guess the manual should mention what type if any is to be used.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
I use Isoflex PDP 65 on my 1982 A80 RC.
Not 100% sure but I guess the manual should mention what type if any is to be used.
Thnx R.
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Nut

How do you know when to recap? I have an a80 vu mkIV and the noise floor seems quite high to me not only during playback, but just idling. I wonder if this could be the electrolytics on the repro preamp board? Any advice about this?
Thanks
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
what's your noise floor ????? tape_machines tend to be pretty noisy to today's standards ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search