The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lifting the top end and getting some "air" with the Massive Passive Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Lifting the top end and getting some "air" with the Massive Passive

Hi Gang,
Just wanted to run a couple of questions by the masters.

I have a nice mix going on my 2-bus, and am running it through my Massive Passive and an API 2500. I'm finding that, fortunately, I don't even need to really add any EQ, which is nice. However, almost everything in the mix so far has been tracked with ribbon mics or dynamics, and I feel like I could open up the top end a little bit, as I'm missing a bit of "brilliance."

Along these lines, I have a couple of specific questions:

1. When you guys perform an operation like this, do you tend to favor a shelf or a bell? I realize this is probably too general a question to answer, as its program specific, but can you give me some examples where you might choose to use one over the other?

2. Second of all, I have heard people comment that the HF on the Massive Passive is not so great. I don't have enough experience with other EQs to really believe this or not, but I remember reading a post not too long ago where somebody said that the HF performance of the MP was drastically improved by using the unbalanced inputs and outputs. Can anybody here confirm or deny that? I would try it myself, but it's going to be a heroic effort to hook this into my patch bay, so I was looking for some encouragement (if there is any).

Thanks again for any comments...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to like shelves on the Massivo top end, you can be quite creative with different curves but have to listen carefully to hear what else is being affected.

The unbalanced outs do sound better in the tops and low end. You are bypassing the transformers which tended to roll off the tops and sound not as transparent. The transformer can work on some projects that need it.

King Willy is the Massive Passive guru he may chime in...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1. If you aren't already, try using the 1/4" outs which bypasses the transformers and really opens up the top and bottom ends.

2. Set the top band to boost, bell, 27kHz, widest Q, and then slowly turn up the air. Sweet!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
1. If you aren't already, try using the 1/4" outs which bypasses the transformers and really opens up the top and bottom ends.

2. Set the top band to boost, bell, 27kHz, widest Q, and then slowly turn up the air. Sweet!
Thanks, Allen...
Yes, I've already been doing the second step, and have been liking it, but am using the transformer outputs at the moment... Looks like I'm going to have to crawl around and hook up the 1/4" sockets now

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

OK, I just hooked up the phone outputs from the MP and confirm that this is a different universe...

My hi-hats are sizzling, and I can hear the individual molecules of the snares rattling against the bottom head of the drum... it is truly an astounding difference — thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Haha, nice to know you found a solution. But for future conversation, thread-goers, googlers, I'm no expert at mastering, but I like to have a high shelf at around 20khz or so with a wide-ish Q, and let that slope down to boost the high end. I could see how a bell around 27khz could be the same idea.
Old 15th September 2011
If only the UAD plugin could do this......support request filed.
Any other UAD-MMP owners please do the same.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by editronmegatron View Post
Of course the forum is all concerned and pulling for you, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Its probably only temporary, and it will go away when you come down.
LOL! Yes, the world is once again right side up this morning, but I am perhaps a bit strung out... whew...

Cheers,
A
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler007 View Post
OK, I just hooked up the phone outputs from the MP and confirm that this is a different universe...
Excellent.

When I experienced the same thing it made me wonder what it could sound like if you could bypass the input transformers as well...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
COOL! I will try this. I have not been happy with the sound of mine on the 2buss
XLR for tracking and TRS for mixbuss it is then
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the top end of hardware Massive Passive to top end of MAAG plugin EQ? (air band)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search