The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital Plugin EQ Poll - 2011 Equalizer Plugins
View Poll Results: Favorite Mastering EQ (plugin)
Algorithmix red
10 Votes - 5.59%
Algorithmix orange
1 Votes - 0.56%
Algorithmix blue
2 Votes - 1.12%
Flux Epure
17 Votes - 9.50%
DMG EQuality
32 Votes - 17.88%
PLPAReq
9 Votes - 5.03%
Izotope Ozone
12 Votes - 6.70%
Abbey Road TG-Mastering EQs
12 Votes - 6.70%
FAB Filter Pro-Q
32 Votes - 17.88%
Sonoris Linear Phase EQ
1 Votes - 0.56%
Sonoris Mastering EQ
19 Votes - 10.61%
PSP Neon
22 Votes - 12.29%
DDMF LP10
10 Votes - 5.59%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Whilst it sounds great, it's horses for courses. Nebula is effectively used as a soft hardware insert, not as a replacement for digital eq. Analogue & / or Nebula isn't always the best solution for every task.
I agree - nebula should be classified as hardware
Old 16th September 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
beingmf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Whilst it sounds great, it's horses for courses. Nebula is effectively used as a soft hardware insert, not as a replacement for digital eq. Analogue & / or Nebula isn't always the best solution for every task.
Well, OK then...
Old 16th September 2011
  #33
Gear Addict
 
mastertone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Diggin the DDMF IIEQ Pro lately. Does parallel too.
Old 16th September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
ciro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Diggin the DDMF IIEQ Pro lately. Does parallel too.


Ciro
Old 16th September 2011
  #35
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Without Nebula the list is useless.

Funny that's what I was thinking and I have UAD eqs too.

Re-poll with every eq ever invented and then ask only people that have used every eq ever invented and then these silly polls might have a meaning.
Old 16th September 2011
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

Sonalksis SV-517 works well for me.
I rarely go "wow" when I move the virtual knobs on software EQ.
This EQ made me say it.

They should call it Sonic Kiss.

Fab
Old 16th September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
ciro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabmaster View Post
Sonalksis SV-517 works well for me.
I rarely go "wow" when I move the virtual knobs on software EQ.
This EQ made me say it.
I´m demoing the Algorithmix eqs .The Red one has the "wow" thing

Ciro
Old 17th September 2011
  #38
Gear Addict
 
Hide's Avatar
Too bad. I can't vote Duende X-EQ.
But, can I say??

Duende X-EQ
Old 17th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I voted Flux Epure II.

The PSP Master Q is also used here.

As well as the Sonic Studio/Solutions EQ.

And the ancient Waves Renaissance EQ isn't too bad at all.

But I still prefer my outboard Z-Sys for digital EQ.

I thought "all digital EQs are the same" they use the same bi-quad algorithms.

: - )

JT
Old 17th September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
I miss Melda eq's on this list...

::
Mads
Old 17th September 2011
  #41
Here for the gear
 

I'm particular surprised they is no mention and UA or Waves in this list, however out of the EQ's specified I would say I utilise the Fabfilter Pro-Q the most.
Old 17th September 2011
  #42
Gear Head
 
steki's Avatar
 

DDMF IIEQPro and UAD Cambridge for me. I voted for DDMF LP10 now...
Old 19th September 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Yeah I'm not quite sure why someone would call Nebula "hardware" either.
It's quite clearly software. Would anyone call Altiverb "hardware" or even "room"?
Old 19th September 2011
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
Fabio's Avatar
I like Brainworx bx_digital, Massenburg MDW and Abbey Roads TG!
Old 19th September 2011
  #45
Gear Head
 

Also voted for the FabFilter! I can not tell how good it sounds in comparison to a Cambridge or Oxford EQ but I'm satisfied with it cause I love the GUI and the ability to dial in the Analyzer pre- or post.

Does somebody know if it works oversampling? Couldn't read anything about that so far...
Old 22nd September 2011
  #46
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Without Nebula the list is useless.

YEP!!!
Old 22nd September 2011
  #47
Lives for gear
 
sdbmastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Flux:: Epure II here.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
 
aTelecine-Lex's Avatar
 

Verified Member
This Poll Was Surprisingly challenging...

A fantastic group of EQ's were in contention in this poll; I was still surprised that rendering a choice was somewhat onerous.

Doubtlessly, the fact that some of the EQ's included in the poll are considerably different in character from each other, (i.e. the Abbey Road v. Epure. etc.) added to the quandary and made it hard to choose with a sense of absoluteness.

That said, all of the EQ's in contention are fantastic. Ultimately, given what the choices were - I had to vote for the Epure.

I should note the FabFilter was a very close second. Were one to take a cost to performance valuation into account, in my view, the quality and performance of the FabFilter should rightfully come out on top. I applaud the quality of EQ FabFilter is bringing to the market at such a price-point.

I must join with those whom have already mentioned the somewhat vexing exclusion of some important brands (BX, SPL Pass Eq et al) which are both first-rate and to many, nigh standard ITB EQ tools.

Ultimately, I suppose it's great to see how many quality EQ's are out there today that sound good enough to cause debate or difficulty in picking a "favourite" when compared to what was being offered just a few years ago.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #49
No Nugen Audio on there? Are you guys all mastering engineers though?
Old 22nd September 2011
  #50
This poll is a little surprising to me. I've never used the Fab Filter Pro-Q before. I hope it doesn't sound better than my PLParEQ since it only costs like 20% of the price. Perhaps I'll download the demo to AB. Have you guys tried PLParEQ? That and the algorithmix plugins are very close in terms of quality and achieving almost the same result.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #51
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
Ultimately, I suppose it's great to see how many quality EQ's are out there today that sound good enough to cause debate or difficulty in picking a "favourite" when compared to what was being offered just a few years ago.
Probably the best part of the discussion....and could also be applied to itb compressors and limiters as well!
Old 23rd September 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
ciro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd9 View Post
Probably the best part of the discussion....and could also be applied to itb compressors and limiters as well!
+1 (I´m the "+1" guy) heh

Compressors like DDMF NY and dlm65 are cheap and do wonders for instruments/whole mix.

Ciro
Old 23rd September 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Yeah I'm not quite sure why someone would call Nebula "hardware" either.
It's quite clearly software. Would anyone call Altiverb "hardware" or even "room"?
Because it sounds like hardware as opposed to most plugs.
In fact unless someone has tried Nebula with 3rd party products any comments about the best plug ins are of questionable value.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I say this with all due respect, but it looks like we just plain differ on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Because it sounds like hardware as opposed to most plugs.
Just because it is a more accurate representation in your opinion than other software, doesn't make it any more "hard" than any other plugins. A photo taken with a top of the range digital camera looks much more like the source as opposed to iPhone snaps, but it's still a digital picture. You can capture an audio signal with a Lavry or you can capture it with a Soundblaster. Regardless of quality, either result is a digital file.

Nebula and the associated libraries can be transferred via computerised telecommunications networks.
It's code. It's not hardware. This is not an opinion as far as I am concerned. It is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
In fact unless someone has tried Nebula with 3rd party products any comments about the best plug ins are of questionable value.
Your argument seems a little confused to be quite frank. At one moment you refer to Nebula as hardware, and then as a plugin.
Come on admit it - it's a plugin isn't it? heh
I don't think there is any need for you to doubt the value of other members contributions just because you happen to love Nebula. Have you extensively tested each and every plugin EQ mentioned on this thread?
Probably not, eh?

I respect your opinion about Nebula with regard to its quality, and it is clearly one that is shared with many others. It just seems like there is a core of Nebula users that seem intent on ramming it down everyone's throat and I find that a bit tiring. But I'm open to the idea of Nebula still.

For what it's worth, I have recently tried Neb3 again with the demo set and while it seemed quite tasty I can't say that it was an earth shattering experience. Is there a particularly good 3rd party library that is free or that there is a free demo of that you think would make me change my mind?
I'm all ears to that.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
I say this with all due respect, but it looks like we just plain differ on this.


Just because it is a more accurate representation in your opinion than
Your argument seems a little confused to be quite frank. At one moment you refer to Nebula as hardware, and then as a plugin.
Come on admit it - it's a plugin isn't it? heh
I don't think there is any need for you to doubt the value of other members contributions just because you happen to love Nebula. Have you extensively tested each and every plugin EQ mentioned on this thread?
Probably not, eh?

I respect your opinion about Nebula with regard to its quality, and it is clearly one that is shared with many others. It just seems like there is a core of Nebula users that seem intent on ramming it down everyone's throat and I find that a bit tiring. But I'm open to the idea of Nebula still.

For what it's worth, I have recently tried Neb3 again with the demo set and while it seemed quite tasty I can't say that it was an earth shattering experience. Is there a particularly good 3rd party library that is free or that there is a free demo of that you think would make me change my mind?
I'm all ears to that.

Of course it is software but the point is having tried virtually every software eq (waves, Duende, UAD, PSP, Sonalkis etc etc)
Nebula is in my opinion head and shoulders better.
I have good converters, monitors, acoustic treatment and to me the difference is astounding.


The 3rd party nebula plugs are the ones to use btw.

People are free to disagree but some people seem to disagree after not having tried Nebula with the good libraries.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #56
Lives for gear
Some of the best programmes are by
CDSoundmasters and Alessandro Boschi you will find demo sound examples but not demo plugs - they are very cheap anyway by comparison with other plugs.

Old 23rd September 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Some of the best programmes are by
CDSoundmasters and Alessandro Boschi you will find demo sound examples but not demo plugs - they are very cheap anyway by comparison with other plugs.
Thanks for your help Nigel.
Ah this is the 'Alex-B' who have some examples in the demo batch. I've heard his name mentioned the most in all the Nebula blah I've read online.

I found a "Poolteq" demo on his site with very limited frequency and gain settings - maybe he has other demos then too. I just gave it a very quick spin on a mix. The 60hz in particular sounded very impressive actually. Thick without being invasive. I'll be testing a few more bits and bobs out soon.
Old 5th October 2011
  #58
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
as the thread starter, does anyone know how to edit the poll to add more EQ options to the list? Ive gone in and tryed to do so.....but it doesnt seem to let me edit it once the poll has gotten votes.

Maybe i should just start a NEW one with a more updated MASSIVE list....
Old 8th October 2011
  #59
Gear Nut
 
DubStudio's Avatar
 

Yes I reckon start a new poll if you feel it, but leave this one as it is otherwise the results would be unfairly biased against late-comers.

I voted DMG EQuality, but Algorithmix Red comes a close second. I use both in the studio on a regular basis, but EQuality has to win for several reasons. Both are sonically excellent, but EQuality is more versatile, has a way better GUI, and uses considerably less CPU. Plus it works on mac
Old 8th October 2011
  #60
Gear Addict
 
ckett's Avatar
 

Fabfilter Pro Q and the Sonoris Mastering EQs are my favorites. The Sonoris has a wonderful full low end and a smooth airy high end for a digital EQ plugin.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump