The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comp on main out
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Comp on main out

I've been mixing inside the box for too long now, obviously no limiting but I use a tiny bit of comp (waves bus comp) on my main outs, it just seems to glue it all together for me. But the mastering people are asking me not to. Is it that big of a problem.

Cheers

Antony
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
I've been mixing inside the box for too long now, obviously no limiting but I use a tiny bit of comp (waves bus comp) on my main outs, it just seems to glue it all together for me. But the mastering people are asking me not to. Is it that big of a problem.

Cheers

Antony

There are a few different threads on this. Try using the search feature to help you out. Here are some links I looked up quick for you:

Master Buss

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4298787-post4.html (Attention brought to this thread by obin Schmidt 24-96 Mastering)

plugs on the 2-bus
Old 13th September 2011
Who are the mastering people? Are you referring to specific MEs, or all MEs? If it's integral to the mix, and you're confident in it, keep it. If you're unsure, try supplying a version with, and a version without and letting the ME decide which to use, hopefully they'll also give you feedback on it.

But yes, try searching as this pretty much comes up every couple days.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Good threads cheers, since I had to store my desk ( I still use a lot of analogue) and had to go in the box it just sounds good to me so I use it. I'm not worried about not having it on there if that sounds good to me as well, but was wondering if the mix isn't pumping why me's pretty much always ask to not have it.......
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
Good threads cheers, since I had to store my desk ( I still use a lot of analogue) and had to go in the box it just sounds good to me so I use it. I'm not worried about not having it on there if that sounds good to me as well, but was wondering if the mix isn't pumping why me's pretty much always ask to not have it.......
I think you have answered your own question. Why some engineers tell you to leave it off is anyone's guess, but it's a very common misconception.

DC
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have they actually listened to your track pior to mastering ??

Prehaps its a safety thing from them and like other ME's, because if you over compress then your in trouble !

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search