The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry DA10 (black DA) Digital Converters
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Lavry DA10 (black DA)

Not seen a thread on this unit specifically on here, so I thought i'd drop it in.

In the market in about a month to two months for a new DA to feed my analogue chain, currently using the DA side of an RME ADI2 and a Mytek Stereo AD96 for the capture... also have a Benchmark DAC1 for monitoring.

Looking for something to improve the sound of my chain, which went up massively when I installed the Mytek to capture.

I'm drawn to the Lavry because of it's stepped control, I really like the idea of as much as possible in my processing chain to be stepped, the big LED on the front makes me happy.

Is anyone on here using one from day to day, any problems? anything they compared it to? anything in the same price range I might have missed.. I'm probably looking to buy second hand.

Also looked at the Apogee mini DAC but it has a lot of functions I don't need and I can't help but think the Lavry is more of a simple beast and therefore improved in quality?

Not out the question also is another DAC1, any thoughts folks?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I suggest you try out the Lavry first. In tests of AD/DA I did years ago I found the Lavry blue to be quite bad actually, compared to others.
Maybe the black series is much better but the impression I got from articles and reviews is that the blue series is known to be in par with the black.

So, sorry for the nonsense reply - what I'm trying to say is - compare to your DAC1 before buy.

And BTW, Apogee is very underrated.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have a shootout someone did on my PC, was listening the other day, it was Benchmark vs Lavry. The Benchmark sounded "nicer" than the source, and the Lavry sounded a bit brighter than the source. Currently when I A/B my chain against straight from my DAW, the main thing I notice is air top end is lower, not gone, but lower. Now I'm wondering does the Lavry simply have a better top end response, or is this brightness false, or a lack of bottom end compared to the Benchmark I am perceiving as top end? Lots of questions!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Never used the Lavry DA10 but love my Mytek Stereo96 DAC. I use it calibrated to +19dBu (my Mytek ADC as well). This completely bypasses the pot on the front (of both units). If output level adjustments need to made prior to hitting my analog chain they are made ITB via a gain plugin. Level into the ADC is controlled via the gain knob on the last thing in my chain which is the FCS P3S ME. I think you will find that most mastering engineers do not use the gain pots on their DAC/ADC that feeds their analog chain. I'd checkout the Mytek Stereo96 DAC. I will fit in great with you Mytek Stereo96 ADC once all is calibrated!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I owned both the Lavry DA10 and Mytek 96. Head to head, I liked the Lavry better. But honestly I didn't really like either of them. If I were you, I'd take a look at the Da11 (which is supposed to sound a bit better) or mytek 192 dac which I bet is probably the best of the bunch.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've used for a while and now i have it for sale.. It came after an rme fireface 800.. And i heard a big difference.. Now i bought an antelope zodiac+ and they 2 different worlds..
I haven't many converters in my i-have-tried-it list but i can say the DA10 is a good converter, perhaps one of the best in that price range.. I saw many guys comparing benchmark dac1 and lavry da10, so i suppose they are on the same level..
I speak for myself and can say it's not that bad and not that amazing
Old 14th September 2011
Lavry DA10 is an excellent converter. Much wider and deeper 3d than RME converters. Cleanwise? is the same, but much more 3d sound and L&R separation.

Incredible.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by manman View Post
Lavry DA10 is an excellent converter. Much wider and deeper 3d than RME converters. Cleanwise? is the same, but much more 3d sound and L&R separation.

Incredible.
LR separation on the RME is it's downfall in the mids especially, certain tracks all the mid range heavy drum elements seem narrower than the source for sure.
Old 14th September 2011
I already uploaded test files at

converters converters
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Can anyone (in fairly layman language) explain why cheaper converters might flatten the L/R separation?
There must be a good reason for it, but I just can't get my head around how two different channels could seem more similar after conversion.

If this is too OT, then I apologise... but it seemed like a good place to chime in.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Can anyone (in fairly layman language) explain why cheaper converters might flatten the L/R separation?
There must be a good reason for it, but I just can't get my head around how two different channels could seem more similar after conversion.

If this is too OT, then I apologise... but it seemed like a good place to chime in.
It's not necessarily connected with cost, but if the leakage (crosstalk) from channel-to-channel is not great (especially at HF,) this could happen.

Although it's pretty trivial to get good specs in this department.

If you believe in specs, I guess.

DC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search