The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering newb with wavelab
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Mastering newb with wavelab

Ive worked with wavelab for quite some time on single tracks etc, but am about to embark on mastering a full album. My workflow has been for two passes, meaning pass #1 is eq, compress, limit etc. Pass #2 Is for final SRC, dither and fades.

I'm not very familiar with the audio montage but have been reading up on it- this is the way to really get a cohesive cd together- im learning it.

What is the right approach here?
I figure i will work on each track individually, once done begin a montage, saving the fades, SRC, dither for then? Or should i do everything individually then import everything into the montage at 16/44?

Also are there any other tips for getting tracks gelling as good as possible?

Thanks for the wisdom
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The Montage is the core of WaveLab. After you master your tracks (without limiter & dither), load the tracks in a Montage sequence,fade level etc (all non destructive) then render everything with limiter/dither to a new montage/file. This way you can burn the master from a file that has no live processing & you always go back a step at the higher res to do any revisions.

Ed
Old 14th September 2011
ORC
Gear Addict

I use the montage strictly for disk assembly, sequencing, spacing and burning. All processing; SRC, digital limiting, bit reduction, dithering, intros and fades, are done before i assemble the montage. I prefer working this way, and after using wavelab for several years, I've become quite efficient with this method. As for levels between tracks, I just use my ears. After you've mastered many albums you will become good at this as well. If you need to make a slight level adjustment to a song, this can be easily done within the montage, but once you've done enough albums, this will become a rare occurance.
Old 14th September 2011
I think you are basically on the right track, so to speak.

I do all processing except dither prior to the montage. The montage is used for for sequencing, trimming, and applying fades, setting cd track boundaries,etc. The CD wizard is your friend here.

Any SRC is done prior to assemblying the montage, since the montage is created for a 44.1 sample rate. I dither as the final step, creating a final stereo CD wav and basic audio cd for burning. That way I can fool around with both fades and if necessary, slight level adjustments, in montage, without having to process pre-dithered files.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search