The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin or K&H O300: which one is more accurate? Studio Monitors
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Focal Twin or K&H O300: which one is more accurate?

Here's the question.. I have no possibility to A/B them and I have a good deal for a pair of O300s..
Which ones would you reccomend for mastering in terms of transparency, frequency range, detail and imaging?
I'm asking not kinda of i like these/i like the others, but something more objective
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hello Richard,

I may be side stepping your question slightly, however I have recently tested the K+H O300 for a week against the PSI Audio A-215M (which I ended up buying).

The K+H O300 is a very good monitor, as countless favourable tests and user reviews will confirm. I would say one of its greatest strength lies in its neutrality, i.e. a relatively flat frequency response. The Focal Twin 6 BE is a good bit cheaper than the K+H O300, but also a very good monitor. Whichever one you opt for, don't forget that to hear a full frequency range you will need to add a sub-woofer.

At the kind of money you're planning to spend, you may also want to consider PSI Audio. Their monitors are remarkably flat and accurate. If you're interested, check out a recent review in the July 2011 edition of Sound On Sound.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul1...-a17m-a21m.htm

Best regards,

Chris
Old 12th September 2011
I'll recomment the K&H, because I own them myself. But if you don't have the possibility to listen any of them, you may consider getting the cheapest to save money. All the mentioned monitors are very good.
Old 12th September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

i guess this post won't help too much because i've never heard the 0300s.. but i do use the Twins and really love them, especially for the type of music i tend to master (avant garde/ambient/experimental).

however, they really came to life when i bought the sub. i used them for a good year or two before getting the sub, i should have gotten the sub earlier.

i went with the focal sub. it's pricey, but at the end of the day a minor expense in the mastering setup.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Every post here is a help
When you can't listen and compare by yourself the gear a good help is asking who has that gear and who decided to not have that gear too
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I've heard the Focals but not in a good enough setup to judge them properly. (They were sat on an office desk in a small untreated office space). I've heard and worked on the K+H O300D and enjoyed them quite a bit but that was with a pair of K+H O800 subs. Without the sub(s) they don't deliver enough power for my taste (Of course that depends on the size of the room that you will use them in) and they tend to exhibit what to mee seems like mechanical compression on the low-driver. So if you go for the O300's for mastering I would advise to use a sub with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bauer View Post
Hello Richard,

I may be side stepping your question slightly, however I have recently tested the K+H O300 for a week against the PSI Audio A-215M (which I ended up buying).
Another vote for PSI. I have the 25/3's (Now 25-M) but they are in a different price range to the Focals and O300's. What made you choose the 215-M's over the 25-M's? Or was it just cost?.

Alistair
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Well if i had the money i'd go with barefoot mm27.. Psi looks great but 25M are 2890€ each new.. More than a pair of twins..
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

0300'sare very nice. I use a set hereof 0300D . They don't go wicked loud without a sub, but for mastering at moderate volumes they are good. I second getting a sub if your room is large, otherwise they are OK.
Old 13th September 2011
TSM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
however, they really came to life when i bought the sub. i used them for a good year or two before getting the sub, i should have gotten the sub earlier.

i went with the focal sub. it's pricey, but at the end of the day a minor expense in the mastering setup.
Hi Not meaning to hijack...which sub do you use? The Focal or cheaper Focal CMS one?
Thanks.
Old 13th September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

the one for the Twins.. the Sub7 i think it's called... cost me about 1700 clams.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I think I can extend my question even if title now is misleading:
What's speaker do you find more accurate and detailed in the 2000/3000€ price range?
Old 14th September 2011
in that price range i would just buy B&W.

K&H has very weak box. Not sure but when you look at B&W, Dunlavy, KEF, their boxes are very heavy and strong.

K&H according to website weighs 31 lbs, while B&W CDM9 just 1 speaker weighs 70lbs.

consider the fact B&W have larger midrange than K&H.

Focal twins are good, but they lack midrange driver. Question is do you want to listen to tweeter and bass mixed together? Focals have good drivers and strong box.

Sonically K&H reveals poorly recorded or distorted bass in tracks at around 80hz, very clean sounding speaker at 80hz, but lacking amount of bass

Focals have somewhat brighter, stronger sound. Here comes preference if u like strong or soft sound. (metallic tweeter will give you stronger sound) in small rooms can sound very bass heavy
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

But B&W are almost all passive, or am i wrong?
That means you have to buy amplifiers too.. And that means chossing an amplifier that fits perfectly that monitors too
Old 14th September 2011
yeah of course passive, I suggest following amps: bryston 4b, mcintosh, passlab and some other hi-end amps that cost over $1000 at least. preferably solid-state. You can easily find PMC, B&W in UK. all these brands are made in UK
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Akira View Post
But B&W are almost all passive, or am i wrong?
That means you have to buy amplifiers too.. And that means choosing an amplifier that fits perfectly that monitors too
To chose a B&W 802, depends on the room dimensions you have to invested on a Monoblocks Hypex UCD builted May be around $2 K each one or DIY $1 K or buy a used pass labs X250 for $3500 fits better.

The set of K&H 0300 D with a set of firing subs, sound great real flat if your room is not perfect 'll fit to the room easily that any other speakers sometimes I change it for my lipinski L-505 more detailing monitor for some styles of music fit nicer but for others not .

Good luck in your search
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So.. For mastering in a medium size room (6 meters * 5 * 3) which one would you reccomend?
Old 15th September 2011
Depends your budget and if you like more a Hi-Fi stamp sound or a real flat 4 way system K&H 0300D + 2 800, nice for mixing and mastering.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

2/3 K is my budget.. My choice were between the 2 of the title
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Depending on the music (and room) you mostly dont need the sub on the focal twins. I tend to master with the sub off and just switch it on for checking some times. I am set up specifically for mastering electronica like "T_D" and have found that mastering on twins work really well for that. But then I have no problems mastering anything on them. Fantastic translation between the club/car/I-poo etc. I use them similar size room to you They tend to be a bit more revealing on the transient details (quicker sounding?) than most things I have heard. They also tend to sound show up harsher sounds quicker on midrange than other systems so you need to be a bit more agressive in the 3-6k department or your masters can sound under by half a db sometimes. Great for hearing distortion or buffer underrun clicks on mixes. Its amazing how many mixes I sent back for a re-render due to those these days. Sounds like that are so obvious you cant miss them even if you are not paying attention. You must treat your room tho!!! I have heard them in a big mixing room without enough treatment and I honestly couldn't work on them at all. They are a bit of a love/hate thing for people so I would recommend even if you cant demo the K&H maybe demo the twins to cross them off your list if you find them not to your liking.

I have zero experience with the K&H so can't help with that.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have the K&H's with a sub and love them...

Harry
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

1. Try to buy speaker that don't need a subwoofer. Adjusting a subwoofer in a room together with the main monitors is always a trade off because there is always a time delay and a crossover in the game. My opinion: the less speakers the clearer the sound ;-)

2. Many active speaker use cheaper amps inside but that's a decision of your ears.

Just my 50cent of experience
Old 7th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBM View Post

The set of K&H 0300 D with a set of firing subs, sound great real flat if your room is not perfect 'll fit to the room easily that any other speakers sometimes I change it for my lipinski L-505 more detailing monitor for some styles of music fit nicer but for others not .
...and for those that require an extremely high fidelity active monitor, we now have an option that was designed with the same target sound in mind as the L-505 's that you presently own.

Lipinski Sound - L70

They take advantage of many of the things we learned designing the new L-707A series of loudspeakers.
Old 28th November 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I've heard the Focals but not in a good enough setup to judge them properly. (They were sat on an office desk in a small untreated office space). I've heard and worked on the K+H O300D and enjoyed them quite a bit but that was with a pair of K+H O800 subs. Without the sub(s) they don't deliver enough power for my taste (Of course that depends on the size of the room that you will use them in) and they tend to exhibit what to mee seems like mechanical compression on the low-driver. So if you go for the O300's for mastering I would advise to use a sub with them.

Another vote for PSI. I have the 25/3's (Now 25-M) but they are in a different price range to the Focals and O300's. What made you choose the 215-M's over the 25-M's? Or was it just cost?.

Alistair

I own the PSI 17m. it's small but really great even in the low department. very accurate with great dynamics (doing compression is "easy" on this monitor) ! great monitor for mixing.

I have not listened to a25m (toooo expensive man!!), but i had the opportunity to listen and mix on 215m. FANSTASTIC monitors. Great translation to the "real" world. Very accurate. Deep, tight and precise bass! absolutely Linear midrange (i hate monitors with over-emphasized midrange). MY FAVOURITE MONITORS! (although i have not tested the a25m yet)
Old 29th December 2011
If anyone's looking for a pair of o300 for mastering, I have a mint pair for sale (need to move to a 5.1 system for mixing and three more o300's are out of the budget). PM if interested.

Thanks!
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm using BOTH K&H 0300D and B&W 803s for mastering, completement eachother nicely.
Old 29th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Akira View Post
Here's the question.. I have no possibility to A/B them and I have a good deal for a pair of O300s..
Which ones would you reccomend for mastering in terms of transparency, frequency range, detail and imaging?
I'm asking not kinda of i like these/i like the others, but something more objective
I have the Focal Twins, and I like them a lot for mixing. They can be used for mastering as well, but bear in mind the mid's are pushed out a little on purpose which is helpful at the mixing stage. The 0300's are a true 3 way monitor and the mid's, low's, and high's are more even sounding. I would get the 0300's for mastering if it was between them and the Twins.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear
I auditioned the Twins and 0300 for the purpose of mixing and mastering.

I found the Twins to be exciting to listen to (albeit a tad too bright for my tastes), but personally was not convinced by their accuracy, so I went with the 0300's. I have had a lot of success with the K&H's in both mixing and masterings jobs. My room is treated but I have never had the pleasure of trying the 0800 sub, I suspect it might be too much for my 11.5 x 16ft room.

tht
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Addict

Personally i much prefer the Focals over the K&H for mastering. THe K&H might be more precise but don't sound natural to my ears. In mastering i much prefer super hi end hifi speakers over speakers that sound like studio monitors and to my ears that's the difference between the two. The Focals sound a bit less like studio monitors to my ears.
Both are good but I would go with Focal personally. Expensive is often used as a quality stamp, and don't get me wrong, the K&H are GREAT but they're not 'better' than the Focals. Just different...
Old 30th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I auditioned the Twins and 0300 for the purpose of mixing and mastering.

I found the Twins to be exciting to listen to (albeit a tad too bright for my tastes), but personally was not convinced by their accuracy, so I went with the 0300's. I have had a lot of success with the K&H's in both mixing and masterings jobs. My room is treated but I have never had the pleasure of trying the 0800 sub, I suspect it might be too much for my 11.5 x 16ft room.

tht
I using a pair of svs subs on a room just a little longer and wider than yours
With the sub you have more headroom on the 0300D, leaving it off the sub frequencies, that way leave the woofer with more freedom of movement.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelistics View Post
In mastering i much prefer super hi end hifi speakers over speakers that sound like studio monitors and to my ears that's the difference between the two. The Focals sound a bit less like studio monitors to my ears.
Expensive is often used as a quality stamp, and don't get me wrong, the K&H are GREAT but they're not 'better' than the Focals.
For me, the point about the 0300's is they don't sound like anything other than the program material emerging from them, which in that respect does make them "better" than the Focals and justify the extra cost.

However, the key is to use whatever sounds right to the ear and if you get great results with the Focals .... well that's great.

best
tht

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search