The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonalksis FreeG -Awesome! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Sonalksis FreeG -Awesome!

Guys: This little free plug is great! Is there a paid plug that does the same but w/higher quality? Just wondering......
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Was going to mention creating an aux or something.....

But I also have have and use the FreeG. (especially after a recent rs124 purchase). I can see where it thins a bit (could be my imagination) but, I like it and use it.

??? curious too ???
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

personally i think free-g is great but if you insist on paying for something...

VertexDSP - FaderWorks

????
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Thanks guys. The faderworks is interesting, but it seems more for tracking/mixing. I do all that analog and then "pre-master" the CD, so may not be worth getting faderworks......am I missing something? I'm not very smart at computers (that's why my recordings are 90% analog). The other 10% is when I mix down to an Alesis Masterlink and then work the CD w/Samplitude producer and plugins....
Old 14th September 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
Guys: This little free plug is great! Is there a paid plug that does the same but w/higher quality? Just wondering......
... it's a volume-changer.
You don't get variable quality with a volume changer.
You get changed volume.

Asides from the broken automation support (only works in some hosts) it's about as great as they come, UI-wise.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Logic's gain utility has the sweetest high-end of them all imo.
Old 14th September 2011
soulstudios
Hope that's a joke.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I used FreeG ages ago when it first came out then didn't have it on my comp for a while. I needed it again this month but was mighty annoyed that I had to go through some sort of 'plugin downloader/installer' install blah blah.

I have no internet on my music PC and the downloader software only downloads and installs to the machine you download to (with internet access of course)

Anyway. I ended up finding an offline installer on cnet or something. Went with that. Sorry Sonalksis.

Oh - it was here not cnet - Download FreeG Free
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I hate this plugin because I love its concept, but automation in Logic appears as numbers from 1 to 100 instead of in dB. Useless.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
algorithmix gain
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
FreeG is probably one of the most useful plugins I have,
my workflow is so used to it is not even funny.

It might seem silly because you can do the same thing in 239234 ways but
FreeG is the way I like it, if you have to chaange level on an automated track,
print a different version of a mix with one or more elements lower or higher,
automating it before hitting a compressor or a saturator.. etc etc etc

I love it
Old 28th February 2013
Bumping 'cause I just downloaded this a few days ago and I'm in full honeymoon mode! Best free plug I ever downloaded, bar none.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

No such thing as higher quality... audio-wise.

Used to use it all the time. Left it when I went 64 bit. Is it 64 bit now?

As for the automation... well, let's just say it's the least of my Logic automation woes.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk View Post
.... I needed it again this month but was mighty annoyed that I had to go through some sort of 'plugin downloader/installer' install blah blah.

I have no internet on my music PC and the downloader software only downloads and installs to the machine you download to (with internet access of course)

Anyway. I ended up finding an offline installer on cnet or something. Went with that. Sorry Sonalksis.

Oh - it was here not cnet - Download FreeG Free
I too was mighty annoyed, for the same reasons. Has got to be one of the most unintuitive and frustrating authorization schemes I've come across, and boy are there a lot crappy schemes out there for people with dedicated audio machines with no net connection. Plus Sonalksis' customer support was not able to help, so I just gave up on it.

I tried the Softpedia site today. The site is a total mess of download buttons to software applications with the word free in their name, but after trying most of them finally found the button that downloaded FreeG. Thanks for the link!

JB
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizcities View Post
Bumping 'cause I just downloaded this a few days ago and I'm in full honeymoon mode! Best free plug I ever downloaded, bar none.
The best free plugin you've ever downloaded is a VolumeFader? That's awesome.

Btw. i am serching for a mute button plugin. already have one, but looking for higher quality
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Try the free Stereo Channel:

Sleepy-Time Records, Audio Plugins

My personal favorite (not tried automation yet.) Has everything you could ever need in a gain/metering plug-in.

x86 / x64 and full 64 bit output (checked with a bit meter, and confirmed by the excellent and friendly author)
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
The best free plugin you've ever downloaded is a VolumeFader? That's awesome.

Btw. i am serching for a mute button plugin. already have one, but looking for higher quality
I came up with a Portastudio in my youth and Ableton's weird/quiet trim pot setup (if you could even call it that) bugged me. FreeG makes things louder without degradation and lets me eyeball volume/gain more easily - it does something basic and it does it without any ridiculous extra nonsense. I'd call that a win.

I do love Rough Rider and ValhallaDSP's Frequency Echo, so maybe you caught me in the midst of some serious hyperbole Still, I don't use RR/Freq Echo on every production and I do use FreeG. I suppose that's the definition of "best" I was angling at.
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1103 View Post

My personal favorite (not tried automation yet.) Has everything you could ever need in a gain/metering plug-in.

x86 / x64 and full 64 bit output (checked with a bit meter, and confirmed by the excellent and friendly author)
These look pretty sweet. I'll check them out.
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizcities View Post
I came up with a Portastudio in my youth and Ableton's weird/quiet trim pot setup (if you could even call it that) bugged me. FreeG makes things louder without degradation and lets me eyeball volume/gain more easily - it does something basic and it does it without any ridiculous extra nonsense. I'd call that a win.

I do love Rough Rider and ValhallaDSP's Frequency Echo, so maybe you caught me in the midst of some serious hyperbole Still, I don't use RR/Freq Echo on every production and I do use FreeG. I suppose that's the definition of "best" I was angling at.
Ok, i got your point. I also use FreeG in very often, because of the reasons you mentioned. except the sound quality part.
it's just a multiplication, computers know how to multiply heh
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1103 View Post

I like this one as well. The MS features and mono-bass knob is very useful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It's been six years since last post in this thread. I wanted to share my appreciation for FreeG by Sonalksis. After searching for a long time I finally found a simple plugin that I can use for basic volume changes, most importantly - panning automation, muting of tracks and metering in a single instance.
I was very picky, because I wanted a plugin that would allow me to choose pan law that equals 0. Sleepy Time Records StereoChannel is very good, I admit, but I was missing this single option. The lowest pan law setting available was -2.5.
The problem is StereoChannel raises overall peak level when hard Left/Right panning is used. Usually the difference is 3 dB. The same goes for Press Play Stereo Helper and HOFA 4U Meter Fader & MS-Pan. By the way panning automation with mentioned HOFA plugin is terrible.
FreeG can be customized and I just love it. Plugin Manager worked very well and after a few minutes everything was installed and ready to go. No license, no registration required. Finally my search is finished. Highly recommended.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
DMG TrackControl is a cleaner interface and a more modern solution complete with HPF. Easier install too.

Sonalkss feels pretty much like abandonware now. The last thing they did was change the name and GUI of the TBK line to avoid paying the original coder (Mr DMG) royalties. Shady behaviour.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
DMG TrackControl is a cleaner interface and a more modern solution complete with HPF. Easier install too.

Sonalkss feels pretty much like abandonware now. The last thing they did was change the name and GUI of the TBK line to avoid paying the original coder (Mr DMG) royalties. Shady behaviour.
I also tried DMG TrackControl and really liked it in the beginning. That was until I tried to automate MUTE button in a short part of a track. It was something like 1 bar or half of a bar. There was a gap between drawn envelope and the moment that actual muting happened. First part of the kick transient was suppose to be muted and that clearly wasn't the case. At first I couldn't even figure out what was going on, what was the issue. Such a simple task.
Bare in mind I used snap to grid function to draw this envelope. Anyway after that I tested two other plugins with MUTE buttons. I drew the same envelope, used same audio material. Both of them reacted at the exact spot I wanted.
Today I tested Sonalksis FreeG and it also performed like I wanted.

It's disappointing when VST effect looks promising feature wise and fails at what it's suppose to be doing. I don't care that FreeG is old. If I find that it's flawed, I will let you know.
On the side note, some of my favorite delay effects were released over 10 years ago. I don't expect them to become faulty, it's been too long
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Incase Fabien is reading, can we please have a TDR freeG equivalent?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal.ochedowski View Post
I also tried DMG TrackControl and really liked it in the beginning. That was until I tried to automate MUTE button in a short part of a track. It was something like 1 bar or half of a bar. There was a gap between drawn envelope and the moment that actual muting happened. First part of the kick transient was suppose to be muted and that clearly wasn't the case. At first I couldn't even figure out what was going on, what was the issue. Such a simple task.
Bare in mind I used snap to grid function to draw this envelope. Anyway after that I tested two other plugins with MUTE buttons. I drew the same envelope, used same audio material. Both of them reacted at the exact spot I wanted.
Today I tested Sonalksis FreeG and it also performed like I wanted.

It's disappointing when VST effect looks promising feature wise and fails at what it's suppose to be doing. I don't care that FreeG is old. If I find that it's flawed, I will let you know.
On the side note, some of my favorite delay effects were released over 10 years ago. I don't expect them to become faulty, it's been too long
Sounds like a bug or perhaps you inadvertently dialled in some latency using the control at the bottom?

If it is a bug, it would be good to report it with details of your system so it can be fixed. It's a zero latency plugin so should work perfectly for sample accurate muting.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
Sounds like a bug or perhaps you inadvertently dialled in some latency using the control at the bottom?

If it is a bug, it would be good to report it with details of your system so it can be fixed. It's a zero latency plugin so should work perfectly for sample accurate muting.
After reading your post I tested DMG TrackControl again. I used blank project with single quantized drum loop where everything was on point. There was no Delay set in the plugin's GUI. Again, I could hear beginning of transient when it was suppose to be muted.
However I also tested Sonalksis FreeG again with the same file and envelope. It had the same problem with Mute button. It didn't mute on point. So I have to admit, it is faulty.
I also tried Venn Audio Utility, which is still in beta. It has been for over a year and a half now anyway. Same problem with Mute button.

Plugins that did not have that issue, tested in the same project:
HOFA 4U Meter Fader
Sleepy Time Records StereoChannel and MonoChannel

Perhaps someone else could also test Sonalksis FreeG and DMG TrackControl. Then I would definitely report the bug to developers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What DAW are you using?

It's considered good practice to punch in slightly early for mutes and on/off edits, but it shouldn't be letting a transient through really if the transient is absolutely locked to the grid. Maybe a quick fix for now would be to add a small timing offset using the delay parameter until you get the clean edit you are looking for. Seems strange though!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

"Strange" is the right word. I was really surprised with those results.
My first test was in Ableton Live version 9.7.4. Today I tested it in Reaper's latest version 5.973.
It's not that I don't know how to fix this issue temporarily. I don't have logical explanation for it, that's what annoys me. Especially when part of VSTs behave somewhat incorrect and two of them work ok. Today I double checked everything to make sure that I set it up correctly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am only guessing here, but perhaps there is a small ramp time going on under the hood to minimise "zipper" artefacts / stepping in fast automation, and this is letting a little audio through after the mute. This would help prevent audible clicks if the mute happens off a zero crossing for example. So, either it's a bug, or a design choice to prevent clicks.

Last edited by Conundra; 3 weeks ago at 05:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani View Post
Incase Fabien is reading, can we please have a TDR freeG equivalent?
I do read, but struggle to understand the point in replicating the basic options found in any modern audio application. They already give access to pan law options, meters of all sorts, stereo and polarity flip options, M/S, whatever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search