The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering own demos - will these plugins do the trick? Or... Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mastering own demos - will these plugins do the trick? Or...

I'm soon to mix & master my own demos I have been recording.

I have the following plugins. My question is, will these do the trick or would Ozone 4 (which i have demo'd & like) be a better choice? I am talking from a technical stand point rather than a creative one.

So Ozone 4 (or other all in package?) vs:

Compression: API 2500 or PSP Old Timer
Limiter: Voxengo Elephant
EQ: Waves Renaissance, Waves API 550 (& perhaps the purchase of a mastering EQ?)

Which would yield the greatest results for you?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
All I can tell you is that if you know what you want and you know how to get it, use whatever you're comfortable with.

Ozone has some nifty features -- But in the wrong hands (those that don't *know* what they want and *know* how to get it, but rather start out loading presets and what not to "find" what they *think* they want), it has to be one of the quickest routes to absolutely trashing an otherwise perfectly reasonable mix.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks John - yes well aware that Ozone can be the modern L1 equivalent (yet worse with the additional feature set). My intention regardless of whether I use Ozone or my current plugin selection will be minor enhancements.

Can I assume from your reply that either would suffice, it's more about what I do with the tools (than the tools) in this case?

I guess I was looking for a more technical standpoint - is Ozone going to sound better or worse than the plugins I listed as a final master given the same operator. And no, I wouldn't dream of using the presets in Ozone!

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass View Post
is Ozone going to sound better or worse than the plugins I listed as a final master given the same operator.
I'd say neither would not be better or worse, just different. If you have the faculty, give each a try on the same material... try the demos for a week or two and see which one you prefer or if you would prefer to have both options to choose from.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Good replies as one would expect from John and Tom.

If you don't know what you're doing software choice could be academic, so if you're new to this then lots of experimentation and time taken to understand what works for you is going to be important as has been said.

Your current plug-in roster should enable you to at least make a workmanlike presentation - if it was me, I'd start with that and then download the Ozone demo along with a couple of mastering EQ demos (I'm told Sonoris is worth a look) and see how they compared.

One off-the-wall idea might be to look at hardware - I had a dbx Quantum for years until I replaced it with a TC 6000: the Quantum was very good in its own way and had some features I occasionally miss. I would have thought you could pick one up quite cheaply nowadays: I found it to be a great learning tool.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys - all constructive info. I've been making records for 15 years so I'm familiar with the tools & understand mastering is an art - one which I do not profess to be proficient at. They being said I'm generally happy with my results but was curious as to Ozone vs. my current plug set.

It seems at the end of the day it is probably program dependent.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search