The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Masterers, what is your opinion/use of linear phase EQ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 10th September 2011
restpause
Masterers, what is your opinion/use of linear phase EQ?

Mastering engineers, what is your opinion of linear phase EQ?
Also, what uses do you have for linear phase EQ?
Do you prefer it over other EQ?

Please explain.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to use it for low end filtering. These days I prefer to use a good minimum phase EQ because it sounds more natural to my ears. Linear phase processing can often sound a bit smeary &/or slightly softer on transients. It may suit some things but I rarely use it any more.

The Algorithmix Red sounds best if you need LP processing.
Old 10th September 2011
I agree, I've used a couple including algorithmix, which is quite good, but I find most good minimal phase EQ's do the job equally well if not slightly better sounding. It might be less damaging for something extreme, but then again if it needs such an extreme correction, it's probably not so high def that the difference between a linear, and minimal phase will be audibly preferable.

I actually tried to do some research on the perceived differences back in grad school, but it turned out that we couldn't match the Q's close enough to get a valid result with preference testing, at best we could say they both sounded good.
Old 10th September 2011
I like to use linear phase Eq on the upper frequency range only, like above 2K and higher. i don't like to use them on the lower mid to lower frequency ranges.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
My experience is similar to Matt's.

Used to use it for a lot of things a long time ago, cut back to just using it for low-cut filters, and now don't really use it any more.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I think linear phase eq is not so usefully anymore because it does not sound like a normal eq does. So it will make a track more sterile only.

Sent from my X8 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th September 2011
restpause
Thanks for answering guys...

I'm surprised by these answers but educating myself is what it's all about.
I feel like a devil for asking though... check this out:
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Linear who?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Was using PSP Neon HR in LP for a while, then I realised that it made everything sound wierd, some people say smeary, or plasticy.. all I know is that I loaded up some sessions and did some A-Bing and found subtle, yet annoying, digital distortions going on which just never sounded nice.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have tried the Waves mastering EQ long ago and the PSP Neon recently.
None of them convinced me to use a Linear phase EQ.
If you find the right frequency and the right Q, a classical eq is great.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
We have the Weiss EQ1-LP, and used the LP mode often in the beginning, but as good as it sounds there, we use it almost exclusively in regular mode.

So like Matt, Alan and others mentioned, we use it less and less.

Cheers,
Thor
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No LP EQ here either.

With Sontec, Millenia, Z-Sys, and even Flux within arms reach,

Why bother with LP.

Best, JT
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No, never.

And the lower in frequency you go with LP, the worse it is.

Where did the idea come from that LP is "mastering grade," anyway?

DC
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
Good question.

If we knew who made the first commercially-released (and marketed) LPEQ then we might have a clue. However, my off-the-cuff guess would be Waves.

They bundled the LPEQ and LPMBC with the L2 and called it the "Masters" bundle. According to the manual (link below) they released this bundle back in 2001 and it states...

Quote:
It is primarily intended for use in Mastering though it is very possible to use for other audio processing needs as far as your process power will allow.
http://www.waves.com/manuals/plugins/LinEQ.pdf
Old 10th September 2011
nms
Lives for gear

On the topic of linear phase plugins.. What do you guys think of linear phase multiband compression as in the waves Lin MB?
Old 10th September 2011
Motown legend

Verified Member
I use Alg. Red some for orchestral but for regular pop only the long slopes and that only very very occasionally. I also never use it without first comparing what regular eq. sounds like to make sure it's really better overall.

It's always important to listen for what signal processing is screwing up in addition to what it's helping.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

anyone tried fab filter proQ in lp mode? a friend of mine uses it all the time in this mode (mostly over 2khz though), he does the actual settings in minimum phase mode and switches to the lp mode (with highest latency setting) when he´s rendering...he says it sounds more neutral and transparent in this mode...I´m thinking of getting the fab filter pro Q because when I saw it, I really liked the versatility and usabilty (awsome gui)....what are the opinions about it´s sound and especially how it sound in lp mode (with highest latency)?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
anyone tried fab filter proQ in lp mode? a friend of mine uses it all the time in this mode (mostly over 2khz though), he does the actual settings in minimum phase mode and switches to the lp mode (with highest latency setting) when he´s rendering...he says it sounds more neutral and transparent in this mode...I´m thinking of getting the fab filter pro Q because when I saw it, I really liked the versatility and usabilty (awsome gui)....what are the opinions about it´s sound and especially how it sound in lp mode (with highest latency)?
Love the Pro-Q.

Almost never use it in LP-mode, though.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
Mastering engineers, what is your opinion of linear phase EQ?
Also, what uses do you have for linear phase EQ?
Do you prefer it over other EQ?

Please explain.
Thanks in advance.
I use linear phase (red) for surgery and extreme boost / cuts. I use minimum phase for color and character.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are (for me) a few interesting and unexpected answers in this thread
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

I use Linear Phase EQ when doing parallel processing for electronic music: for this application, only Linear Phase EQ allows to keep the phase artifacts to a minimum when summing the parallel signal with the main one. For acoustic instruments, I would avoid doing that, as it can create strange timbric effects... But with electronic music, the positive effects in bringing up loudness and detail without squashing the dynamic almost always cancel the negative effect on timbre (if any can be peceived at all).
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereophonic View Post
I use linear phase (red) for surgery and extreme boost / cuts. I use minimum phase for color and character.
OT but on your site it says Vintange Warmer by the way.
Old 11th September 2011
Motown legend

Verified Member
Linear phase EQ. causes unnatural pre-echo artifacts. You need to judge if their effect on transients or the phase issues are the bigger problem.

I think monitoring is a lots bigger deal with digital signal processing than it is with analog. There are lots more wrong choices to make.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post

DC
Weiss. Plain and simple.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
OT but on your site it says Vintange Warmer by the way.
yes, it does...and?? It also says i'm running weiss eq1-mkii. I haven't used the vintage warmer in years. Most my coloring is done with the mini massive, great river maq-2nv, algorithmix blue, tube-tech smc2b, eq1…Red for surgery. Lots of flavors, lots of options. I broke up the massive passive a couple years ago. I guess i need to update my site.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereophonic View Post
yes, it does...and?? It also says i'm running weiss eq1-mkii. I haven't used the vintage warmer in years. Most my coloring is done with the mini massive, great river maq-2nv, algorithmix blue, tube-tech smc2b, eq1…Red for surgery. Lots of flavors, lots of options. I broke up the massive passive a couple years ago. I guess i need to update my site.
He's telling you it's a typo.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Verified Member
Never use it.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My opinion, need for it and use of it are all very little. And as has been mentioned elsewhere, use of EQ in general tends not to be for addressing linear phase issues.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak Music View Post
He's telling you it's a typo.
I'll be sure to use spell check with the update!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

we did some blind testing today at my friends studio with the fab filter pro Q in lp mode (maximum latency setting) and in minimum phase mode (zero latency)...the absolute clear result was: it sounded way better in lp mode, the only exeption was one setting where we used the ms mode and aplied a shelfing filter + a low cut on the side frequencies, there clearly the minimum phase mode won....I don´t know other lp EQs but for the fab filter pro Q at least, the lp mode is so much better, in most EQ situations...way more transparent...no colour at all, but who needs that if there are so many other options to get colour in your mix......
I will def. get that plug in...best software EQ I ever heard!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search