The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Masterers, what is your opinion/use of linear phase EQ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

I prefer Fab filter pro Q in LP
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Head

Liking my LP, but what about a good MP corrective eq?

I've been using the waves LP eq for corrective eq in mastering. First thing in the chain, and I must say I really like it. Really really unobtrusive, and ever so slight 'sweetening' due to the transients being dull slightly, in fact, to my ear doesn't sound like EQ at all! Later in the chain I've been sending it though a colored EQ, often the Manley Massive Passive (UAD plug), to gain extra depth/ dimension/ character (and it delivers in spades) I personally got the feeling this was the best of both worlds, at least for the work i was doing.

What digital minimum phase eq's would you guys recommend for corrective eq early on in the mastering chain? An eq that does not call attention to itself, cuts in 250hz wont ruin the vocal, 500hz destroy warmth of guitar etc. any thought would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
One thing I remember trying years ago was a "roll your own" multi-band processor with LP crossovers, which at the time I used the Waves Lin EQ Broadband. Bussing a stereo mix to 3 stereo Auxiliary channels and inserting the Waves LP with a HPF on Aux1, BPF on Aux2 & LPF on Aux 3 and then combining these back to a summed stereo master output. I was able to get this set up to null completely with the original signal with the phase reversed. I remembered being very impressed by the accuracy of this.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

i use a phase linear sometimes in parallel chains.
as a example. i come back from my outboard not only in stereo, i use parallel compression and they also go back into my daw. now i use sometimes a phase linear eq on the parallel input to cut some frequency's
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It's case by case, but usually MP for bass, and LP for highs.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
Says so on page 110 in this book I read. Good thread though as I think a lot of folks read this same book at one time or another. Fortunately for me, my ears disagreed like many here.
Wow, what a coincidence!! I have a book that talks about linear phase eq on page 110 too!! But nothing about it being mastering garde. Hmmm, wired.

After a superb chapter on the power of eq it just says the two sound different, and neither fundamentally better. Context should be the deciding factor.
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Nut

I use the Tc Electronic - "Dynamic EQ" in linear phase mode..
Usually it's for cutting/raising some frequencies or control dynamics (ex. voices, instrument solo, hiss etc..) before apply compression..
I also use linear-phase eq with the MS tecnique to avoid artifacts or phase shifts..

IMO Tc Electronic eq linear phase is one of the best digital eq..

Weiss is the king.. my digital dream...
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I know this thread is old, but I remember I wrote here about some tests in a friends studio using the fab filter pro Q...well in the end I ended up with another EQ...and now I´m really happy about this...as my friend who´s been using the fab filter all the time mostly in linear phase showed me some pre ringing artefacts that the fab filter pro Q was producing on very low frequency heavy material...these were used in this case for sound design, but imagining that this EQ is widespread and in the manual the linear phase mode is recomended (not in special situations...it´s recomended in general, at least in some video tutorials by fab filter) I can belief that a lot of people might not be aware what harm this mode in this special EQ can do in low frequency heavy material (as a lot of club tracks for examples nowadays)....
so I thought it might be helpfull to point this out here after I wrote very positive about the linear phase mode of the fab filter pro Q here. I don´t say it´s a bad EQ....I just say that it can sound horrible (depending very much on the material) used in linear phase in some situations!!! so be aware when you use it in linear phase mode!
Old 29th November 2012
Motown legend

Verified Member
Weren't the very first linear phase equalizers JVC and Audio Animation (aka waves) hardware back in 1630 daze?
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Weren't the very first linear phase equalizers JVC and Audio Animation (aka waves) hardware back in 1630 daze?
Yeah. JVC had a hardware box (tan with colored knobs) that you could switch from IIR to FIR. I remember seeing at Doug's, but I don't have any idea what they thought of it.

Audio Animation had that giant console thing with what they called the FIRe Engine EQ's but we could never get it to work long enough to listen to it. Vague memories of Mr. Seva being involved somehow with that company, but it's been many moons........

DC
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
I know this thread is old, but I remember I wrote here about some tests in a friends studio using the fab filter pro Q...well in the end I ended up with another EQ...and now I´m really happy about this...as my friend who´s been using the fab filter all the time mostly in linear phase showed me some pre ringing artefacts that the fab filter pro Q was producing on very low frequency heavy material...these were used in this case for sound design, but imagining that this EQ is widespread and in the manual the linear phase mode is recomended (not in special situations...it´s recomended in general, at least in some video tutorials by fab filter) I can belief that a lot of people might not be aware what harm this mode in this special EQ can do in low frequency heavy material (as a lot of club tracks for examples nowadays)....
so I thought it might be helpfull to point this out here after I wrote very positive about the linear phase mode of the fab filter pro Q here. I don´t say it´s a bad EQ....I just say that it can sound horrible (depending very much on the material) used in linear phase in some situations!!! so be aware when you use it in linear phase mode!
Yep, definitely noticed this. I stopped using Pro-Q in LP as a result of this, as I said before.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search