The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ekadek gyrator ten8tor Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ekadek gyrator ten8tor

looking at this on ebay right now. anyone have a chance to check it?
willy or ben?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
could do with a new mirror..
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

looking bit fugly for sure
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Couldn't find it on Ebay old chap. It's the stereo pultec type thing with the silver front is it?

The King
Old 10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
Yes I actually went to Ebay NZ after I posted, I think their search engines are weird as it didn't show up in my Ebay.

Well I have never heard of this guy and his products, I was thinking of something else before (that Pultec clone that lights up). That's not to say it's not a great unit (though the front looks rather homespun). It may be your next secret weapon mate! Perhaps I'll email him and he might post a bit about it...

King Willy
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

well. i guess to some my panels would seem homespun. yes. and i make no excuses. the crackpot side of me says f. u. all (in the nicest possible way of course ) . and i could potentially hand stamp letter my ass off til i die or go broke or whichever comes quick enough.

however . my m.u.p. side understands the modern urban professional's need to be seduced by expensive slick attractive forms that look and become ... well ... kind of just more expensive really . if that sounds a bit diggy then i apoligise for that and mean no offence.

more fanciful designs and styles ARE in the wings. i love the idea of a handstamped american typewriter ish font - black laser engraved into brushed steel alla AMPEX 350 amps. i live with an ampex 300 / 350 1/2" 2 track. mr ampex's graphics are clear, commanding AND sexy.

they also add alot to the design complexity and price of the thing but hopefully they will help some ekadek gear range accepted by a wider audience. it would need to because the sales will have to be high enough to justify the high set up costs of the slick new range. geez. theres not just a million things to do but theres a gazillion things to pay for. double geez. be honest.

you see .. compared with that huge headache scenario in this teetering world economic marketplace ... making one-off custom devices is a dream lifestyle. experimenting - creative client contact and intimate design collaboration - new making a beaut thing from scatch and paper drawings - and then the knowledge that the big stack of electro goodness will go like stink and the client will make some kick arse headway into his sound and music. thats more the vibe my slightly old school temperament wants . actually.

and my young apprentice IS whipping me into a more consumer friendly shape so who knows how it all will go.

yours faithfully . greg brice. ekadek.

Last edited by ekadek; 11th September 2011 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: adding picture
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for posting greg. my comments on the appearance was mainly due to not being able too see the front panel clear on the ebay auction or your site. the close up def shows it much better
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

yes. im new to ebay us so .. i know there's a way to get bigger photos up cause i see them in other auctions. heres those images anyway. i actually chiseled the random fire bursts in to these. the aluminum plate looked like it had been dragged thru gravel. i loved it. so much character. the panels have been stamped, chiseled, polished, and powder coated clear. so u can mark and smudge them, knock and bang them, and when you're finished - clean them off with a soft damp slightly soapy cloth. ahhh.. no worries

the circuit boards are our own design . of . neve 1080 filter set, bass and treble. like elephants and birds. the 2 midranges are very flexible. like monkeys and snakes. the small op amps 'teneightor' are utilized in all our transistor designs. they're a simple 4 transistor amp which can be inverting or not - no gain with forever headroom, or blasting with amplification busting **** up. they have very little compensation or frequency response enhancement & control built in . so they GO OFF. big fat open sound. unconstrained.

heres the list of stuff that the knobs do.

18db /oct low end filter 27hz.47.82.150.270.
18db/oct hi end filter 18khz.12k.8k2.5k6.3k9.
treble boost-cut 15khz.10k.6k8.4k7.3k3. peak or shelf.
bass boost-cut 33hz.56.100.180.330. peak or shelf.
lo midrange l24 step boost-cut in 24steps sweeping from 77hz - 1.2 khz. transistor gyrator circuit.
hi midrange continuous boost-cut sweeping continuous from 270hz - 6 khz. transistor gyrator circuit with turbo and hi Q functions.

Last edited by ekadek; 11th September 2011 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: oops. spell check. add photo
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi sluts, i had to chime in because Ekadek sound has really [email protected]#in sorted out my ****. From large preamps(i have several) to the stupidly dimentionally juiced out summing mixer to BRIAN my schwick bass compressor( thats where she sits mostly anyway), Ekadek gear is really gorgeous.

email me
[email protected] and i'll send you some stuff to check out. you can decide
actually no dont buy this, i want it and i dont really want you all to know about Ekadek.
seriously though this gear is realllly gooood..... email me
Old 12th September 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Looks good in "Ampex" style. No worries about the silkscreening wearing or peeling off.
How does it sound?

The tube variable mu pictures on top of the two eq is eye watering and the tube mixer looks stunning.
Congrats!
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi All thought I'd add something here as well. I've just bought one of these and honestly i love it. Actually that's not quite strong enough. This thing's really amazing i've been using it on pretty much everything. For mastering it's just fantastic though. The top end is beautifully clear and allows you to put an awful lot on with out sounding in any way brash or abrasive. You've got heaps of control with the 2 mid ranges and the filters. If I could have another one of these units i very much would. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I've put a wee photo of my unit up too.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search