The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Switching from itb to otb Mastering Console
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Switching from itb to otb

I have been doing my own pre masters for a while and just started doing other producers. I do it all itb. I am getting compliments for my mastering but want to take it to the next level. Ideally I would love to have total recall of settings but if that is not possible what would you recommend as my first dip into otb gear. Should I focus on a better eq or a limiter, tape emulation or something else. Or to throw a curve ball should I get a sub though I find alot of sub frequencies are cut in the club because some producers don't tune it properly.

Budget is 1000 to 1500 euros.

Thanks

Today I use fabfilter q, ozone izotope 4 for stereo imaging and harmonic exciter, and fabilter l.
I use an apogee duet and Genelec 8030s with some primacoustic treatment.
Old 8th September 2011
The 1st thing you should invest for OTB mastering is a mastering console like the Backbone by Manley in my opinion. Most mastering consoles are a bit over your budget though..
Old 8th September 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The 1st thing you should invest for OTB mastering is a mastering console like the Backbone by Manley in my opinion. Most mastering consoles are a bit over your budget though..
Why would the first thing you buy be a console that connects outboard gear when you have no outboard gear to connect?

First thing is probably decent converters.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Agreed, for personal pre-mastering I would work with a new converter first, I would look at something like a Mytek, Cranesong, or a Lucid. All within your price range should you find them used out there.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

First thing I'd do is set up your monitoring system properly. Get a sub! Mine paid for itself in the first session. There can be all sorts of problems well below what even full range monitors can reproduce. Get two of them if you can, one per monitor. Make sure your room is properly treated, speakers (including subs) properly placed with monitors on stands, away from walls & other boundaries. Calibrate & test the daylights out of your room. That will easily take up 1000 Euros and your work will improve far more than any other change you can make to your chain. I don't know much about the Duet, but I know a lot of Apogee's stuff is sub-par for the price so you may want to invest in some better converters if you can. Really, I'd go for revamping your room/monitors first though, because even bad DACs (Apogees don't qualify as bad) won't harm your judgment as much as a bad room & monitors that don't let you hear the bottom octave of the music.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Why would the first thing you buy be a console that connects outboard gear when you have no outboard gear to connect?
How would you connect your outboard gear? Its a chicken and egg senerio. what came first.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
How would you connect your outboard gear?
With cables?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can get away with not having a console, I did for years. Simply connect the DAC to your processors and the output to the ADC. Yeah, you have to do a lot of patching & so forth but....
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Budget is 1000 to 1500 euros.
Get a

la Pavoni - Dal 1905 macchine per caffè

And a 2nd hand Cranesong HEDD !!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its a chicken and egg senerio. what came first.
The egg. (it was a mutant)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The laPavoni....ha ha ha ha.that was good. Trying to educate myself here and you send me to a coffee maker.ha ha ha ha,
Thank you......ha ha ha ha
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
The most important are the converters and the DAC. Without that stay ITB. And then slowly and slowly, complete your hardware collection and then when you have more than 4/5/6 units you can think to a mastering console.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

mastering on 8030?

Hell you need a sub!
Forget all the outboard for now-
Old 9th September 2011
for this money first i would buy

here is priority list:
  1. UAD plugins: neve33609 is a must
  2. B&W Cdm9 with brysotn amp is good
  3. lavry da10 for monitoring
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Funny, i've been moving from OTB to ITB, and am getting busier then ever. Wouldn't sell the outboard gear though, still has an important function.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do get a preamp or a summing hardware they will take your ITB to the next level.

Sent from my X8 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
To the OP I'm no making an opinion on analog vs digital I think everyone knows where I stand on that, but based on what you asked your going to need something that can work both as an AD/DA unit and give you the flexibility to monitor and send to your outboard gear. I would recommend a mytek unit. Mastering Quality but it also makes sure that you have enough in's and out's to work the unit as a mixing unit as well. You can get them 2nd hand from 2k to 2.5k USD.

And please for the love of god get a full range set of monitors and at least one sub so you know what is going on in the lower register. Without it your deaf no matter how good your conversion is.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's less of a switch and more of a complimentary way of working in my mind.
Analogue cannot turn bad into good and it sure can be a wrong choice too.
It is not a panacea for sub standard audio production.

However get it right and it can do something digital cannot.
Old 10th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Why not spend the 1500 euro's and buy some better ITB mastering tools? Stuff like Izotope ozone, whilst it does a job is never going to take me by storm. I sort of associate it with people starting out recording and trying to master there tracks also.

The massey stuff if relatively cheap and does a fantastic job.. You can even get the infamous TC mastering suite in ITB format.

EDIT: Let's just put it this way I bought a Pendulum OCL 2 and various other pieces (After trying Behringer / DBX / RNC pretty much everything under the sun becayse I wanted to go OTB) and that with that budget I really don't think any hardware is going to make a big difference. If you had 10K then maybe.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
Why not spend the 1500 euro's and buy some better ITB mastering tools? .... If you had 10K then maybe.
That would have been my suggestion too.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think its okay to go OTB. I would suggest hybrid though. I would think converters would be first for outboard because you're probably working with digital mixes. So if you're going to any type of outboard, you'll need really good converters (D/A). And what are you doing for final masters? Going back to DAW? If so, another vote for converters (A/D). Then I would work on monitoring, unless you have that licked. If you feel you've been doing your ITB mastering with good monitoring then maybe you feel like you're good. If so, go for your first outboard piece. Mastering pieces are really expensive. I would get outboard before a console because you can plug directly into your outboard for a while. But some of the consoles are great because some have the M/S processing built into them so you can make better use of your outboard. You'll need to figure out whether EQ or compression is more important although you'll probably end up needing both. That's been a hard call for me. I'm hoping to have the OTB aspects of my rig be a BAX EQ (hi/lo pass filtering), a Manley Vari Mu, and a GML 8200 linked through a Manley Backbone console. That's about $20k US!! Dangerous has some nice stuff too, with the Dangerous Master and Liaison combo. Until then I'm using plug ins and one key piece of outboard that I'm passing the two track mix through before it hits my final ITB mastering process.

Last edited by Slug1; 12th September 2011 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: corrections needed.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Slug you can go for excellent pricing for a manley variable mu, avalon 2055, a neve portico 5014, and a waves L2 and still keep it well below 12g's and have a decent set up outboard gear wise. Although you might be sol if you don't have a good set of speakers and a good room. But hey everyone's gotta start somewhere, personally I would start with the speakers and the room cause your technically working against yourself in a bad room.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
Slug you can go for excellent pricing for a manley variable mu, avalon 2055, a neve portico 5014, and a waves L2 and still keep it well below 12g's and have a decent set up outboard gear wise. Although you might be sol if you don't have a good set of speakers and a good room. But hey everyone's gotta start somewhere, personally I would start with the speakers and the room cause your technically working against yourself in a bad room.
Yo, no doubt cuzz. You're so right about the acoustics and monitoring. I like your combo idea. Nice. I'm thinking vari mu coloring with cleaner eq, that's why I'm looking at the GML rather then the avalon. But this would be a nice set up with the Portico for M/S in its own special way. I've heard the hardware L2 is beast. I'm still learning man. Really appreciate the love bruh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search