The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Anchors or Prime Acoustic Recoil Stabilizer? Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sound Anchors or Prime Acoustic Recoil Stabilizer?

good day fellow gearslutz,

currently my setup is 2 Yamaha MSP7s & 2 Avantone Mixcubes on a wooden desk in a tiny bedroom, not isolated whatsoever.

The wooden Desk my monitors are on seem to resonate with the sub base even on very low levels! (with neighbour complaints as a result)

I know this situation is not ideal & I should to isolate my room but rightnow that's not really worth it as I'll be moving out between now & six months.

so yeah, I'm wondering if a PROPER speaker stand will partly solve this problem (stop the bass from resonation trough the wood & through the floor) & maybe even improve the sound a bit!

rightnow I'm looking at either a Sound Anchors stand OR the Prime Acoustic Recoil Stabilizer. (the last one being much cheaper, which is a plus)

what would be the best option for my current situation?

If you have better suggestions I'm open to those as well!

pic of my setup

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would get the speakers of from the table ....
if you get the desk of the wall, you can build hand-build wooden pillars/stands filled with sand .. and put the speakers on there ... put the stands on rubber ( stoeptegel ) and ready ..

you could drill wide holes in the table and put monitor stands through them ...

get hem of the table would be my first priority.
come on, it's raining all the time in Holland .. be the handy man :-) it saves cash
enjoy.
Old 7th September 2011
Wim's right...

Though, since you're at home in the corner of an untreated room, you might as well go cheap and just put foam rubber mats under them, should tame a lot of the vibrations to the table. Does your setup have to be crammed into a corner? If you can get out of the corner/off the wall, pop em on stands, and get a little well placed treatment in there, you could improve a lot at a very little cost.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

so if i understand correctly, monitor stands would be a better investment then the recoil stabilizers?

are these any good?

Feedback - Productdetails - Ultimate MS 36 B set -
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
check this ..

My home made monitor stand progress

post 28

then make up your mind, buying is easy and not much time "waste" ...
but stands need mass .. I see the can be filled with sand , so maybe ...
Old 7th September 2011
Most people use both... A good monitor stand is heavy, and has adjustable height. The heavier, and more damped the less it will vibrate, and the less it will transmit vibrations. The height, is obviously because we don't all have chairs/ears/floorplans that are exactly the same level. So a nice heavy stand will minimize transmission, as well as be non-resonant, though adding some rubber blocks, china cones, or recoil stabilizers, will only help more.

The question is bang per buck, like I said, in the listening position you posted the bass resonances/issues from proximity to the wall, corner, and a small untreated room will likely negate most sonic improvements of isolating your speakers properly, minus the actual table buzzing/vibrating at a specific frequency. A nice foam rubber pad, or some pieces of rubber, or even probably those $0.25 felt pads they sell for skidding furniture would probably remedy this issue. If it were me, I'd save the 160Euro for something more useful like some acoustic materials, or if you need new HPs and find something to create heavy bases and isolate the speakers. Even just an equal sized book, or a couple magazines under each speaker would remedy this issue, and the gain in height would be an upgrade too since your monitors are very low compared to your sitting height. Also getting the table off the wall, will likely help your response.

But if you want a quick simple, buy a product solution, auralex MoPads would fix this at probably around 30euro. The other products are better, I just think given your scenario it's overkill and you could spend the money attending to other issues.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure how they'd work in your setup at the moment, but we added them to our rig a few months back, under the nearfields that lived on the console's meter bridge. Made a pretty substantial difference for the better. Better across the board, not just the low end, and the imaging even improved.

We've more recently gotten speaker stands, so the nearfields are off the meter bridge, resting on the Prime Acoustic thingies, which are resting on the speaker stands. Taking the speakers off the meter bridge made a HUGE difference. Practically added an octave to the speakers' output.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search