The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ozone Izotope 4 and the UAD Precision Mastering Plug-Ins Bundle
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm going to invest into a UAD-2 Omni Bundle.. after hearing some of the plugs on a mix..at a fellow engineer's place...
iZotope Ozone 4 Complete Mastering System

which I think adding maybe Waves APi plug and some Cubase 6 plugs there's no need for anymore plugs...pluglust... I don't want to be that kind of person...
but I have used Ozone since the it first came out and just using the preset with a little tweaking...not much of a engineer then...but I got my mixing down.... and I want to try my hand at Mastering ...not for commecical release but for ppl who want demos and such...

any suggestion from users of the new Ozone 4...is it worth having on top of the mastering plugs that come with the omni bundle from UAD...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

I´m using Ozone for a couple of years now, side by side with some uad plugs and Analog Stuff.
With Ozone you have everything you need for a good master.
I´m using the precision limiter AND the ozone limiter.
Everyone just pushed a few db...
The precision series is a classic approach to mastering.
Ozone offers some "modern" features like m/s processing.

If your mastering does not sound good with Ozone, it will not sound better with the uad plugs. Most of the time it´s you, not your Plugins.
Keep the Money, get the very best out of Ozone and don´t use the presets anymore :-)
Try to get a good master by using just eq, comp and Limiter.
Less is more...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
...and don´t use the presets anymore :-)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I made a mistake ... "I haven't used Ozone since the first version"
and just wanted to know if it's gotten better in the form of tools...what has changed since version one....

I was hearing that ppl who had uad mastering plugs along with ozone 4 so.. hey.. sounds like a great combo...
yeah presets is what I use to use....lol...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

While Ozone is a nice all in one package, the only thing I didn´t replace with some other plug is the Exciter, which is really good. I never use it on

mixes though but sometimes on tracks that need a little extra brightness. Does a nice tape sim too. The Limiter is very good, although not as
neutral as others to my ears.

I´d say download the demo
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ken Lewis says he uses ozone presets for inspiration (to be fair that's mixing, not mastering).

I fully agree with WHY y'all are saying not to use them. But it's a bit misleading or at least incomplete.

Presets are great for learning from. I promise that spending a little time with them will show you a couple approaches that you would not have considered otherwise. (this is for most plugs, not just ozone) It is normally great way to familiarize yourself with the breadth of any given plug.

But you need to learn how to get there on your own so that you aren't just rolling the dice everytime you pull up a plug...

There are some fabulous tutorials on using ozone that will help you get there too!

Best of luck and enjoy!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i'm glad that gzone got highly praised here,at some forums,someone claimed it's for newbie,i doubt wheher they know what they talked about.
If you really wanna learn it,i recommend this
Streamworks Audio - SWA Complete Ozone 4
I've been tutor hound for some years on mastering but this one really taught me to know more
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post

I fully agree with WHY y'all are saying not to use them. But it's a bit misleading or at least incomplete.

Presets are great for learning from.

!
Yeap, that´s true......

But i think it´s very important to know the "technical" background. When you "just" take a preset and tweak it a bit maybe that´s not enough to learn.
Especially Ozone has sooo many features, that it is difficult to understand how that "Very FAT MASTER" Preset works...

But hey, If it sounds good, it IS good.

Just find your way!!!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

yeah for sure you should know the components of a compressor,reverb,delay etc... and how they work....
and then apply the knowledge to the presets as a jump off point....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search