The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HEDD Processing.. Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

HEDD Processing..

Just curious.. how do you place the HEDD processing in mastering? AD? DA? Analog? Digital?

My HEDD is connected to the Dangerous Console and, when I decide to use some harmonic processing I usually use it in A/D mode (with the advantage of his internal limiting mode..).

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Usually AD, tape and pentode!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Usually AD, tape and pentode!
Me too.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Does anyone use Triode when mastering?

I have yet to find a use for that knob.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A/D here.

Triode in tracking, not in mastering.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchronia View Post
I usually use it in A/D mode (with the advantage of his internal limiting mode..).

I've been using mine in the playback path before the DA (Lavry). Are you saying you use it as an AD or are you using it ADDA? What's this 'internal limiting' mode - new one one me!

King Willy
Old 7th September 2011
Engagement Manager

Verified Member
the 'internal limiting' just means that in AD or DA mode (mine works on both but others say it's only on AD) no matter how hard you hit the front end the unit won't clip (despite the meters sitting in the red)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperschool View Post
the 'internal limiting' just means that in AD or DA mode (mine works on both but others say it's only on AD) no matter how hard you hit the front end the unit won't clip (despite the meters sitting in the red)
I'll have to try it, mine's never been out of the AES chain!

King Willy
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Very interesting listen samples of work 3 types HEDD saturation. Please help me find this samples
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
HEDD is the processing D/A and A/D. Processing is on the D/A side.

I used to use the processing in the A/D side but I've found it nicer, smoother, more subtle being upstream of the analog gear.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
D/A too. No triode.
Ed
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak Music View Post
Triode in tracking, not in mastering.
Word. Awesome for bass and breathy vox.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Digital here (no outboard, only UAD crack). Triode is awesome for thin Hip Hop mixes (more room in the mixes, the better).
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Have any of you guys put the 'Tape' on the HEDD up against either the Waves tape plugin or the two UAD tape plugins?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
HEDD is the processing D/A and A/D. Processing is on the D/A side.

I used to use the processing in the A/D side but I've found it nicer, smoother, more subtle being upstream of the analog gear.
I guess I'm the only one using it DD then... I too use it before the analogue gear.

The King
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperschool View Post
Just to be clear, if you hit the A/D hard before processing, it WILL clip, but as you apply processing it drops the level so it appears not to be clipping. So you're masking distortion (A/D clipping) with more distortion (HEDD processing).
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
the Anamod ATS1 sounds way more cool to me , much more control on how the distortions sounds/works.. okay I know .. it better should do for the money.
For all you HEDD lovers out there ... you should check it out some day ...

if used ( HEDD ) I use it on th AD .. the pentode is cool for lifting vocals/snare/guitars-gritt .. the tape is way to boomy/radical for me after getting the ATS-1.
Old 7th September 2011
when i used the hedd as converter i always used the process post ADC,
maximum peaks hits at -0,2dbfs most of the time exept if you drive it really hard.
now i use it less and less that i us a prism ada8xr for DA-AD, so much that i've just sold it, i think that after the ad (in DD mode) it mess up the tracks stabitilty and image, and before the DAC it's useless as i've got better option to add a bit of color in my loop, i have to try the anamod tho'

cheers

fred
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden View Post
I guess I'm the only one using it DD then... I too use it before the analogue gear.

The King
You're not alone there Will, before I overhauled the converters I used to use the processing on the A/D side. Then I replaced the HEDD A/D with a Lavry Gold so I moved the processing to the D/A. Now I have the Forssell's I'm using the HEDD processing as D/D before the Forssell D/A usually Pentode & sometimes a touch of Tape but it's getting less use these days as I find adding analog harmonics sounds smoother to me.

For guitar based rock the pentode & HEDD D/A still gets used quite a bit.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
You're not alone there Will, before I overhauled the converters I used to use the processing on the A/D side. Then I replaced the HEDD A/D with a Lavry Gold so I moved the processing to the D/A. Now I have the Forssell's I'm using the HEDD processing as D/D before the Forssell D/A usually Pentode & sometimes a touch of Tape but it's getting less use these days as I find adding analog harmonics sounds smoother to me.

For guitar based rock the pentode & HEDD D/A still gets used quite a bit.
Don't you use/like Forssell for rock stuff?

thanx
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Don't you use/like Forssell for rock stuff?

thanx
The Forssell A/D is always used but the D/A largely depends on the mix/job. I can audition the D/A's at the press of a button so whatever suits the material gets the job. Probably 1 in 10 jobs the HEDD D/A gets the nod & when that happens it's almost always rock.
Old 8th September 2011
Use it A/D, with a little Triode. Like how it gives a little color to my ITB sounds/mixes.

Never tried to do it D/A. I think it's worth a shot.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I started using it years ago on the AD side, as the converters sounded much better than pretty much any of the competitors, and take very nicely to clipping on rock and other genres that want level at the expense of politeness.

Later when we upgraded our other converters we used it for a bit on DA, and the last few years DD only, except for the odd rock project that insists on having everything slammed, the HEDD does this very nicely heh

In DD mode it's almost always the first thing in the chain, barring a de-esser or drastic corrective EQ if the track requires it. In my experience it sounds best there, before the analogue goodness.

Cheers,
Thor
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search