The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home build mastering compressor Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2011
Home build mastering compressor

I am looking at building my own mastering DIY "classic compressor" not only to a) keep cost down but b) learn about what goes into making these things work.

Does anyone has any good sites, kit makers forums or any other advise on doing this?

Also which compressors you know there is information on home builds that are great for mastering purposes? I've seen some info on LA2A's, SSL G Series and 1176's out there.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowsed View Post
I am looking at building my own mastering DIY "classic compressor" not only to a) keep cost down but b) learn about what goes into making these things work.

Does anyone has any good sites, kit makers forums or any other advise on doing this?

Also which compressors you know there is information on home builds that are great for mastering purposes? I've seen some info on LA2A's, SSL G Series and 1176's out there.

Cheers
imho 1176 or/and la2a are not mastering compressors,
more ssl with careful setup
Old 6th September 2011
I've had friends build very good sounding SSL-esque compressors. Especially nice because you can tweak the parameters more to your liking.

Options I dig/might consider,
A switch for a HPF in the detection circuit.
Ratios or timings taylored for your purposes, or just more choices.
You could also design in a parallel clean rail, and a mix knob for parallel compression.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the SSL compressors based on the typical DBX design, just with better components?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Everything you will ever need is here:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php

The white market has kits.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Maybe ask over at: Subsequent Mastering : Online Mastering : Nottingham, East Midlands, UK

One of his friends built him a mastering compressor if I remember correctly, might be able to pass some info on to you.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm actually selling that compressor currently, just in the process of lending to a few local studios before putting it on here.

Just doesn't suit my main bulk of work to be honest, the thing is with the GSSLs is they are very wack, smack, bam sounding, and generally my work is cold digital ITB dance music, and really I grab for the TFPRO P38v7 to warm it up and give it some glue, or a plugin for simple transparent GR.

I am looking at something massive and tubey though to go with the TFPRO
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

TFPRO is a great compressor but I'll never call it warm or "character" compressor. "Very transparent", "80's sound" comes to my mind if I would like to describe it.

Manley Vari-Mu is warm.
SSL are kind of punchy, great for rock
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
TFPRO is a great compressor but I'll never call it warm or "character" compressor. "Very transparent", "80's sound" comes to my mind if I would like to describe it.

Manley Vari-Mu is warm.
SSL are kind of punchy, great for rock
I don't know if you have heard the V7 this is what I'm referring to?

Anyway warm is subjective, but right here in this studio, it definitely warms up most my pre-masters. I'd be happy to provide some audio if you are interested.
Old 26th September 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
I am looking at something massive and tubey though to go with the TFPRO
T.C. Phoenix - does the other end of the scale too.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
I don't know if you have heard the V7 this is what I'm referring to?

Anyway warm is subjective, but right here in this studio, it definitely warms up most my pre-masters. I'd be happy to provide some audio if you are interested.
Not really.

I had P38 and P38EX. Is the P38-V7 so much different than these two?
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Not really.

I had P38 and P38EX. Is the P38-V7 so much different than these two?
It has an intentionally more coloured sound and quite a few differences in the control yeah.
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Head

This will keep you busy for a while.....
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the SSL compressors based on the typical DBX design, just with better components?

hmmm... it is kind of like saying "isn't that preamp just based on the typical 5534 design, just with better components?"

Some circuits have the potential to sound greater than the sum of their parts. Electronic design genius. The original Alan Smart designed SSL bus compressor falls into that catagory if you ask me. I haven't heard a DBX compressor that sounds anything like it.

To each their own, I guess.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

What about a D-AOC?
I love mine with lundahls and mullard tubes.
Really subtle compression and with some mods really flexible and can add some nice mojo too if you need it.
D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

The green compressor is my version of the D-AOC.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
What about a D-AOC?
I love mine with lundahls and mullard tubes.
I second the D-AOC. It's a very nice sounding compressor. It's not flexible. You'd need another one with attack, release and ratio controls.

I have Jensen transformers and cheap tubes in mine and it sounds great. I used a faster opto than the one specified.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search