The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Such thing as good value RT SRC? Utility Software
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Such thing as good value RT SRC?

Looking on ebay, there seems to be all kinds of SRC boxes between 50 and 1000 dollars.

I'd be potentially interested for the future in running the Mytek ADC at 96 and downsampling in real time before going back into the DAW.

Now my first impressions of this Mytek running at 44.1kHz is that's very good and almost impossible hear anything "lost" as such, but I would be interested in seeing what 96 could do for me in future.

What would be a good price range to look at for a box to take me down from 96 to 44.1? Just so I can potentially budget it in, for the future.

Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I think that except for the highest-grade SRC's (Weiss, etc.) that a real-time SRC won't sound as good as just running your ADC at the target rate.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sox will be more transparent - even compared to Saracon, Merging, Izotope et al.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
I think that except for the highest-grade SRC's (Weiss, etc.) that a real-time SRC won't sound as good as just running your ADC at the target rate.
Interesting.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I know a lot of guys who upsample before the analog chain, but I can't even really imagine a reason to downsample on capture...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Interesting.
I should add that non-real-time SRC can sound better than real-time SRC depending on the software, etc.

Best bet is to try it several ways and see what you like best with your situation.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Digi-Key - 296-18834-ND (Manufacturer - SRC4192EVM)

Requires a box and power supply, but the performance is very good.

DC
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Sox will be more transparent - even compared to Saracon, Merging, Izotope et al.
Hi!

Will be or is? And why would it be.. what kind of tests did you do?

I used SoX earlier but switched to iZotope when I became a Mac-fanboy. Now I run Win7 with Bootcamp and Parallels on my 15" MBP and could consider using SoX again.

/Peter
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search