The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gender of the Master Reverb & Delay Plugins
View Poll Results: What is the gender of the master?
German Option 1: Der Master
6 Votes - 16.22%
German Option 2: Die Master
1 Votes - 2.70%
German Option 3: Das Master
20 Votes - 54.05%
French Option 1: Le master
11 Votes - 29.73%
French Option 2: La master
0 Votes - 0%
Spanish Option 1: El master
8 Votes - 21.62%
Spanish Option 2: La master
2 Votes - 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Gender of the Master

Great thread title, isn't it?

I'm translating my new web site from English to German and came across the problem of assigning a gender to the word "master" (the noun describing the product from the mastering session). This is a problem that the english speaking world doesn't have, of course, but for the rest of us, it's time to determine whether the master is male, female or neuter.

All German, french and italian speaking readers, please vote what sounds right to you.

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
here in Greece we use the word in a neutral way.
Old 5th September 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Masculine for ESP and ITA. I assume it would be "le" in French.
Can't help you with German due to limited knowledge.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
Great thread title, isn't it?

I'm translating my new web site from English to German and came across the problem of assigning a gender to the word "master" (the known describing the product from the mastering session). This is a problem that the english speaking world doesn't have, of course, but for the rest of us, it's time to determine whether the master is male, female or neuter.

All German, french and italian speaking readers, please vote what sounds right to you.

Thanks!
I thought it would be "das master" - by my "intonation intuition" or call it the subjective sense for language sound, but my German is really poor and I have no idea about the logic behind it.

Like why is it different "gender" for more or less the same thing like: der Ocean, die See, das Meer or der Wagen, das Auto?? Obviously there is no real gender specific logic but has to do more with the sound? Quite interesting...

Also - making it masculine in German might invoke the meaning of "the master" as in S/M, so it is better to be neuter to mean the thing you do!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

there is no debate or anything to vote on
look in your dictionary
it already has been specified
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

What about a Jaffaican translation option?

"demz masters is laike, well-fat init. Bare bass option, still".

Sorry, the 'das master' got my brain running.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Isn't master "Meister" in German? I went for "Die Master" providing you change master to meister heh
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
there is no debate or anything to vote on
look in your dictionary
it already has been specified
You're kidding, right?

PS: wow, you're right. The audio master does have a German dictionary (Duden) entry. That's surprising! Still, gender of imported technical words are practically determined by how people use it, not by dictionary companies dictates; so asking here is still a worthwhile excercise to me. The polls so far seem to indicate that in German, neutrum and male are used roughly equally; that was my impression too (and the reason I asked).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Master = male, mistress = female. Use it in German accordingly.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
In Spanish I believe it would be as follows:

Male

El Ingeniero de Mastering

Female:

La Ingeniera de Mastering

Someone may want to check my spelling but I believe that is correct.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
You're kidding, right?

PS: wow, you're right. The audio master does have a German dictionary (Duden) entry. That's surprising! Still, gender of imported technical words are practically determined by how people use it, not by dictionary companies dictates; so asking here is still a worthwhile excercise to me. The polls so far seem to indicate that in German, neutrum and male are used roughly equally; that was my impression too (and the reason I asked).
dictionaries use common usage for new terms
some try to hold onto obsolete usages but eventually give in
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
In Spanish I believe it would be as follows:

Male

El Ingeniero de Mastering

Female:

La Ingeniera de Mastering

Someone may want to check my spelling but I believe that is correct.
No Dude,

Español is not the same as spanish that word is for latinos, they move to USA looking for the American dream, same as British an americans with the broken english.

Español de real word is masterizando a male word.
and you can say same as an italian ingeniero o ingeniera de masterizaciòn
By the way he said German , french and Italian.

Robin leave something for the poor people in the south of the world.
Good luck with your web change.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Español is not the same as spanish that word is for latinos, they move to USA looking for the American dream, same as British an americans with the broken english.
Wow this quote comes across as not only racist but extremely condescending. I would watch your tone, cause lots of us "Latinos" in the US work for NASA, the CIA, NSA, are Generals in the Armed Forces, CEO's, Licensed Professionals , and Professors at Major Ivy League Universities who speak more then just English and Spanish fluently (Or Español in your elitist condescending tone may wish infer), without an Accent. (And before I forget to mention it... Trabajamos también como ingeniero de sonido y masterizaciòn.)

Next time you wish to correct someone, try not to stereotype an entire class of citizen, and maybe your corrections (no matter how correct they maybe) maybe more appreciated... tutt (You may also wish to look up the definition of Latino and Hispanic in a proper English dictionary, which you will notice does not reference any societal standing or level of education.)

Oh and FYI...I do believe Americans and British know how to speak English exceptionally well, seeing as they are primarily the countries that develop its lexicon. Dude...

Now back to topic:

Since I have been corrected:

Male

El Ingeniero de Masterizaciòn

Female:

La Ingeniera de Masterizaciòn
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
Wow this quote comes across as not only racist but extremely condescending. I would watch your tone, cause lots of us "Latinos" in the US work for NASA, the CIA, NSA, are Generals in the Armed Forces, CEO's, Licensed Professionals , and Professors at Major Ivy League Universities who speak more then just English and Spanish fluently (Or Español in your elitist condescending tone may wish infer), without an Accent. (And before I forget to mention it... Trabajamos también como ingeniero de sonido y masterizaciòn.)

Next time you wish to correct someone, try not to stereotype an entire class of citizen, and maybe your corrections (no matter how correct they maybe) maybe more appreciated... tutt (You may also wish to look up the definition of Latino and Hispanic in a proper English dictionary, which you will notice does not reference any societal standing or level of education.)

Oh and FYI...I do believe Americans and British know how to speak English exceptionally well, seeing as they are primarily the countries that develop its lexicon. Dude...

Now back to topic:

Since I have been corrected:

Male

El Ingeniero de Masterizaciòn

Female:

La Ingeniera de Masterizaciòn
Wait a minute Lu432, I never try to offend anyone and you not what because I lived in US for 20 years, I got the rights to say, Latinos and Hispanics in the USA they speak a terrible broken español even for people works on Media like CNN or mayor CIA or FBI ranks, you know why?
For decades education in US is the worst in the world that's why.

Same for so many Americans, they considered themself bilinguals and there are horrible the way they pronounced words in spanish, french or whatever, but when you are in there country they judge you by the accent
and outside there land they can't speak jack !!!

Yeah let's back to topic.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBM View Post
Wait a minute Lu432, I never try to offend anyone and you not what because I lived in US for 20 years, I got the rights to say, Latinos and Hispanics in the USA they speak a terrible broken español even for people works on Media like CNN or mayor CIA or FBI ranks, you know why?
For decades education in US is the worst in the world that's why.

Same for so many Americans, they considered themself bilinguals and there are horrible the way they pronounced words in spanish, french or whatever, but when you are in there country they judge you by the accent
and outside there land they can't speak jack !!!

Yeah let's back to topic.
Your grammar, thoughts, and spelling are all poor.

"and outside there land they can't speak jack !!!"
Old 6th September 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
I assumed Robin was referring to the "physical" object as in "the master" in other words the CD or DDP master hence my suggestion. Although generally perceived as masculine it is I believe correct to classify it as neuter.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

"Master" as in noun (person or object) or verb (the process)?

Researching.............

As a verb there's weak verbs, strong verbs, and mixed verbs....................

Guess it's in the mixed verbs categories...........Get it??? "mixed" verbs???
heh

to master meistern
the master der Meister

master Meister,Herr
master herr

wow.........nice to only speak English...... Master, done.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

-German: "Das Master" (unlike "Meister" which is "der")
-Spanish: "El master"
-French: "Le master"
-Danish. "Masteren"
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
I assumed Robin was referring to the "physical" object as in "the master" in other words the CD or DDP master hence my suggestion. Although generally perceived as masculine it is I believe correct to classify it as neuter.
If only things were that logical in German... a rifle is neutrum, a pistol is female, a revolver is male. Any questions?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

I believe the above to be correct as I own several lexicons.. Right here in my rack heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelistics View Post
I believe the above to be correct as I own several lexicons.. Right here in my rack heh

Well, the German "Duden" (thanks oldanalogueguy) says it's "der Master", i.e. male. Interestingly, as we see on the poll, most Germans so far seem to disagree.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, the German "Duden" (thanks oldanalogueguy) says it's "der Master", i.e. male. Interestingly, as we see on the poll, most Germans so far seem to disagree.
It seems that the question as been misunderstood by many readers.
They think "master-ing engineer" when the question is "master-cd" (or master tape...)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

No matter what the Duden says, I've never heard anyone say "der Master" oder "schick mir den Master", always "das Master"
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
No matter what the Duden says, I've never heard anyone say "der Master" oder "schick mir den Master", always "das Master"
German is my mother tongue but I haven't lived there in 10 years, but I would say based on what I pick up when I speak to germans about mastering, that the above is correct when talking about "the master" as in the final product. I have a feeling it might be "der master" when it comes to "the master bus". Anyone who can confirm that?

J
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Absolutely! "Der Master" is definitely totally weird. Sounds like S/M to me (as opposed to M/S, haha).
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

In the hood, it's referred to as Da Masta.

Yo Yo heh
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

in Cologne they say "datt Master"
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Isn't there a proper german word?
Something like "der Haupttonträger"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

steffen.....................der bouncy bouncy, das liekumyumyum........
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for your participation in the poll, you've been a great help. I will go with the choice of the people (Das Master).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search