The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone tried a complete analog M/S path? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Anyone tried a complete analog M/S path?

Just out of interest as I've never really considered this idea before today but has anyone tried a complete M/S analog processing path and if so what did you think? I'm not talking about the use of spreaders either just a straight M/S encode & decode with the output of the D/A being encoded to M/S then fed into the analog path with EQ's, compressors & whatever else then M/S decode into the A/D which captures in stereo as usual.

I've done M/S EQ & compression on one or 2 inserts but never had the opportunity to test or compare the difference between running the whole path completely M/S, partially M/S or completely Stereo. Since getting the Liaison I'm able to do all this & A/B instantly at the press of a button or 2.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by running my whole chain in M/S & on this particular single I worked on today I much preferred it to running the chain completely in stereo or partially in M/S. There was a cleaner distinction or stronger definition between the mono & stereo information without altering the mix balance. Just a tighter focus in general. The other benefit was the ability to add some subtle stereo enhancement with a 0.5dB boost of EQ here & there on the sides as well (specifically targeting the strengths of some of the instruments).

I know a lot of people favour the API 2500 in M/S & I also like the Phoenix in M/S too so I guess it would make some sense that the whole chain could also sound favourable in M/S. But there you go... something new for me to add to the arsenal. Don't see it being something that I'd use on every job but it's cool on the right track if needed.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That's about where I'm at. "Occasionally" - Not often.

Digitally? Much more often (an EQ here, a compressor there, etc.). But running the whole chain in MS is fairly rare.

That said -- If I could combine Crane Song's HEDD with the Dangerous SM along with a digital gain stage on the output and input, I'd probably do it a lot more. As much as I'd hate having to take twice the notes...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I started doing this kind of recently, but my situation and setup is a little different than yours...

I'm working with a short fixed signal path: HEDD D/A, Massive Passive, STC-8, HEDD A/D. I drop an M/S encoder/decoder "plug-in" on the output and input of the Sadie mixer and then compensate the 6dB makeup gain in the Sadie's return fader.

Might sound complicated, but it's as easy as 2 drag-and-drop moves and boosting a fader 6dB.

I'll start the song in stereo as usual, but if I think M/S processing might help the song I drop in the encode/decode steps mentioned above and get to tweaking. Used it for 3 out of 8 songs yesterday (hip-hop), but obviously it isn't necessarily the best tool for the job a lot of the time.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I do that on a daily basis…all my outboard is connected to Vertigo Mix Satellite, so I can use Stereo, M/S or partial M/S with a flip of a switch.

Mostly used on electronica or club related genres.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search