The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best EQ For Cloning or replicating Spectrums Equalizer Plugins
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Best EQ For Cloning or replicating Spectrums

Hello Guys,
Need your suggestions for a good quality VST plugin for replicating or copying the EQ Spectrums of my favorite commercial well mastered songs... any suggestions welcome..
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Keeping in mind that matching the spectrum has nothing to do with matching the sound? Take your pick. A lot of people seem to like that --- I can't even remember what it's called (although I was mocked on their forum for years after showing how ineffective it was in "real world" situations).

Ozone has a "matching EQ" thing of some sort...

HAR-BAL!!! That's it. Many of us call it "Hair-Ball" -- Did some fairly extensive testing with it some time ago. To be fair, if you took a certain tune (I used a Metallica song for my initial experimentation) and twisted it a bit, you could match it fairly well using the original as a map (assuming you didn't really screw up the one being re-processed). But trying to make a different song sound like the "subject" tune - well, think about it for a minute. Unless the process tune is *so* close already, you're taking it somewhere it doesn't belong. That rarely ever works well.

That all said, it really wasn't a bad sounding EQ on its own -- Pity it was a stand-alone.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

Ozone... oh, Massive mentioned it before...

aaahmm..., maybe use a good eq and your ears :-)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok View Post
replicating or copying the EQ Spectrums of my favorite commercial well mastered songs... any suggestions welcome..
My suggestion is to not bother with it...it just doesn't make any sense to copy or replicate the average spectrum of any track onto another...
Old 3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Har-Bal is only good to SEE the spectrum. I tested this app and found their EQ to be completely sh*t. So, to see the spectrum, curve ups and downs - ideal. And that should be starting point to use better EQ's to match your song to the other. Remember that if your song doesn;t sound similar to your "example song" - after that "spectrum matching" your song will probalby sound poor or heavy "unbalanced"

BTW, it works only on PC and looks like "made in 1994" Windows app
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions.. keep them coming... looks like DSM is on the shortlist.. @Grahamdwc - any info on its use and functionality?

Thank you
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Har-Bal is only good to SEE the spectrum. I tested this app and found their EQ to be completely sh*t. So, to see the spectrum, curve ups and downs - ideal. And that should be starting point to use better EQ's to match your song to the other. Remember that if your song doesn;t sound similar to your "example song" - after that "spectrum matching" your song will probalby sound poor or heavy "unbalanced"

BTW, it works only on PC and looks like "made in 1994" Windows app
I know the coder Paavo and Earle ...... I know its dated but still usefull in some ways...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Also this,
MeldaProduction MAutoEqualizer, automatic mastering equalizer & analyzer

But I would also suggest that what is more important is to copy how ME's use EQ and not what some songs' spectrum looks like.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
I prefer this to DSM;

Spectral mastering dynamics processor plugin (AU, VST) - Soniformer - Voxengo

You use analyzer and match bands manually, then hit invert button;

Harmonically-enhanced audio equalizer plugin (AU, VST) - HarmoniEQ - Voxengo

But seriously matching curves isn't mastering, professionals don't buy hardware just because it looks good. Though the ones I mentioned are useful tools so once you realize match eq's suck, at least you'll end up with good tools.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I prefer this to DSM;

Spectral mastering dynamics processor plugin (AU, VST) - Soniformer - Voxengo

You use analyzer and match bands manually, then hit invert button;

Harmonically-enhanced audio equalizer plugin (AU, VST) - HarmoniEQ - Voxengo

But seriously matching curves isn't mastering, professionals don't buy hardware just because it looks good. Though the ones I mentioned are useful tools so once you realize match eq's suck, at least you'll end up with good tools.
@cooker...
I realize copying a track's spectrum isn't mastering otherwise Mr Bob Katz ( my fav ME! ) and his contempories would be redundant!

I am just getting some ideas together for a project on some vintage audio sonic surgery..
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
@cooker...
I realize copying a track's spectrum isn't mastering otherwise Mr Bob Katz ( my fav ME! ) and his contempories would be redundant!

I am just getting some ideas together for a project on some vintage audio sonic surgery..
Oh sorry then I don't know the details on your project but if it helps, N.A.T. (nebula) is capable of such thing.

I never used it but I remember members compensating their converters with it+you can make some money with the sampled equipment

Acustica-Audio.com

P.S. If you don't need such professional tool then I'd go with ozone, I'm not sure if its the best sounding but it gives you the option o arange how agressive you want the matched filters to be (can be very agressive) so you'll have easyer option to design the filters if needed.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious - I didn't understand this "guide" - can you elaborate a little, explain a little more detailed ..?

::
Mads
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

+1 for DSM - Dynamic Specrum Mapper
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Just curious - I didn't understand this "guide" - can you elaborate a little, explain a little more detailed ..?

Mads
You are referring to voxengo harmoneq right?

basicly; select average on analyzer setting, hit play on daw and wait for it to form, then match the eq bands on analyzer curve (select 30 db range, if I remember right) and finally invert that curve. This flattens the result.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
You are referring to voxengo harmoneq right?

basicly; select average on analyzer setting, hit play on daw and wait for it to form, then match the eq bands on analyzer curve (select 30 db range, if I remember right) and finally invert that curve. This flattens the result.
think thats curve eq. i have harmonieq in front of me right now and it doesnt copy spectrums
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMixing View Post
think thats curve eq. i have harmonieq in front of me right now and it doesnt copy spectrums
Ah you want to compare spectrums? yeah it won't do that, it can just flatten the responce.

Seems gliss eq can do that from webpage (besides curve eq) but I'm not familiar with the process, voxengo manuals are usually nice written though.

Best eq for this today is from meldaproduction: MeldaProduction MAutoEqualizer, automatic mastering equalizer & analyzer its filters are higher quality than curve eq as far as I know.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Here's a radical idea - how about using your ears, and tweaking your favorite EQ by hand to suit?

As several posters already pointed out, trying to apply one mastered tracks EQ to another (esp. completely different production) doesn't really work.

IMHO it's better to let the band sound like themselves, just the best version they can possibly be.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Thor
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Has anyone actually done this and its woorked for them???!?!?!

I have DSM, which is favorite plugin in like... ever!

But the capture I only tend to use to say meld the room mics to the "curve" of the close mics, usually results in a airy yet clear sound, or just between individual instruments, like taking the curve of a previous recording and putting it on a new one.... but master tracks, I have never been able to fast track a curve for the whole master ever, Ill be the first one to admit, if I find a decent sounding way to be a lazy guy I would, but I have never got this to work on master track...

Good Luck!

DSM kicks ass, Har-Bal is ok and standalone sucks... check this out too...
MeldaProduction MSpectralDynamics, spectral dynamic processor & free-form linear phase equalizer
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post

But the capture I only tend to use to say meld the room mics to the "curve" of the close mics, usually results in a airy yet clear sound, or just between individual instruments, like taking the curve of a previous recording and putting it on a new one.... but master tracks, I have never been able to fast track a curve for the whole master ever, Ill be the first one to admit, if I find a decent sounding way to be a lazy guy I would, but I have never got this to work on master track...

Good Luck!

MeldaProduction MSpectralDynamics, spectral dynamic processor & free-form linear phase equalizer
Yep DSM seems to be kicking it so far! It really is a highly creative plugin! Just saw Paul Frindle's TUT videos.. The sound quality and the ease of what it does and the way it does it is awesome!

Just came across AAMS ( Auto Audio Mastering System ) ... just tried it .. laborious and slow .. but not bad for unattended set it and forget it type of setup... managed to get some decent quality out of this software using a really good mastered track..

Will now try Melda Productions M Spectral and Auto plugins later on tomorrow...

But looks like DSM is the clear winner here!
Old 5th September 2011
check Magic Spectrum from DUY, but...this company is a rip off for support/ updates.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N. View Post
check Magic Spectrum from DUY, but...this company is a rip off for support/ updates.
Thanks Peter.. but I am only PC based and the DUY Plugs are Mac...
Old 5th September 2011
sorry, but DUY Magic Spectrum run also on Windows, but RTAS only.

Link
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post

Good Luck!

As good as DSM is, for a whole track I don't think it has enough control on lower frequencys, its not a fault-just a developer design. Thats why melda or voxengo plug-ins to me are more suitable for such purpose (but sure they can't capture...).
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
As good as DSM is, for a whole track I don't think it has enough control on lower frequencys, its not a fault-just a developer design. Thats why melda or voxengo plug-ins to me are more suitable for such purpose (but sure they can't capture...).
Meldas MAutoequalizer and CurveEQ from Voxengo can capture!

BTW thanks for the HarmoniEQ "trick" - maybe it can come in handy at some point...

Mads
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Hello Guys,
Need your suggestions for a good quality VST plugin for replicating or copying the EQ Spectrums of my favorite commercial well mastered songs... any suggestions welcome..
What you are suggesting is actually counter-productive to making a good master, improving your skills, etc.

There is no shortcut or replacement for listening, regardless of how nice the idea may seem..................

DC
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
What you are suggesting is actually counter-productive to making a good master, improving your skills, etc.

There is no shortcut or replacement for listening, regardless of how nice the idea may seem..................

DC
Like everything in life ... I like to learn with a very open mind without any narrow minded limitations ... life itself is a never ending learning curve at every "notch" and "slide" of our own life experiences ... this i feel is the best way for me personally .. by just opening up this thread I have already learned about quite a few new tools that I am going to add to my real mastering toolbox... surely this approach alone makes this trip worthwhile.. doesn't it? heh
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Like everything in life ... I like to learn with a very open mind without any narrow minded limitations ... life itself is a never ending learning curve at every "notch" and "slide" of our own life experiences ... this i feel is the best way for me personally .. by just opening up this thread I have already learned about quite a few new tools that I am going to add to my real mastering toolbox... surely this approach alone makes this trip worthwhile.. doesn't it? heh
You are certainly welcome to take any path, I am only offering my perspective.

But I can tell you that no professional engineer I know is using anything like that 'matching' technique. This actually goes for many things seen on Gearslutz like emphasis on RMS, analyzers, K-systems etc. But you already knew that.

DC
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
You are certainly welcome to take any path, I am only offering my perspective.

But I can tell you that no professional engineer I know is using anything like that 'matching' technique. This actually goes for many things seen on Gearslutz like emphasis on RMS, analyzers, K-systems etc. But you already knew that.

DC
Haha I remember once a guy asked me where my blue spluttery thing was and how I would know if the frequesncies would be punchy enough if i didnt have one of those on my screen...

Turns out he was talking about the phase correlation meter... i chuckled... and then put it on to satisfy him...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search