The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sending mix out to mastering house
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

sending mix out to mastering house

What all needs to be done before sending out a song to be mastered? say all the tracks are layed down and EQd, should I keep effects, plugins, compression settings etc.. I'm assuming you give it to them as a single WAV file right?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis1234 View Post
What all needs to be done before sending out a song to be mastered? say all the tracks are layed down and EQd, should I keep effects, plugins, compression settings etc.. I'm assuming you give it to them as a single WAV file right?
Ask the mastering house.

Generally be 100% happy with the mixes, leave a bit of headroom, and bounce as 24bit WAV.
Old 2nd September 2011
Deliver a 2 track final mix. (usually a stereo .wav file at the native resolution you mixed at) This should include all your effects and plugins the full mix, but without a limiter, or much EQ/processing on the master buss.(within reason) Leave some headroom. Ideally your loudest peak might be around -3dBFS This ensures no clipping, and will make gainstaging slightly easier on the ME

If you have the time/resources it would be nice to have an instrument, accapella, vocal up, and vocal down available in case there's an issue. Though if this is online mastering you might want to only send the main mix, having the others ready to upload if the ME has a problem with the main mix.

Also if it's unattended and you have any special notes about fades, aesthetic, track timings, etc. include those.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis1234 View Post
ask the guy who is doing the mastering
they have their own preferences
Old 5th September 2011
The most important thing is to get your mix sounding the best as possible with what ever tools needed. Including EQ, compression and what ever else is needed to make the song to sound how you want it.

Then export it to a stereo wave file and do not change the bit depth and sampe rate when exporting. keep them at their original settings.
Also, make sure that you do not clip (go above 0dB) the song

If you do these things, you cant go wrong.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldealanogueguy
ask the guy who is doing the mastering
they have their own preferences
Indeed.

I like to get vocal up, vocal down, no vocal, and vocal only prints. Although I generally use whatever mix my client likes the most and discard the others.

For the sake of all that is holy and pure in audio land, resist the urge to slap a "mastering" limiter on the mix bus. A little mix compression is ok to glue it together, but leave as much dynamic range as possible in your mix, and leave at least 6dB of headroom. As others have said, 24bit, full sample rate (whatever rate your session is).
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Perhaps we could have a sticky for this? comes up once a day at the moment
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
and the answer should be "If you have to ask, ask the mastering house."
Old 6th September 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Perhaps we could have a sticky for this? comes up once a day at the moment
More likely for the Newbie forum as basic required knowledge for mixing engineers ................

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search