The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering instrumentals at the same time? as vocal versions?
Old 1st September 2011
Mastering instrumentals at the same time? as vocal versions?

Is it usual to get the instrumental versions of songs mastered at the same time as the vocal version?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post
Is it usual to get the instrumental versions of songs mastered at the same time as the vocal version?
Normally they are both done at the same time as it makes things more efficient, but as long as the mix doesn't change, most mastering studios make detailed notes for recall, so it really isn't a big deal to run it later. It really just depends on how your mastering engineer charges and your needs.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post

Usual, no.

However I find most record companies do this at the same time. Or at least the ones I deal with... I'm doing this today for a Lazy Bones Record that was mixed by Tchad Blake.

It's cheaper for them to do it this way as I do the instrumental versions for a discounted rate since I'm doing them at the same time as the vocal version.
Old 2nd September 2011
90% Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
It's cheaper for them to do it this way as I do the instrumental versions for a discounted rate since I'm doing them at the same time as the vocal version.
Same here.
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Usual, no.

However I find most record companies do this at the same time. Or at least the ones I deal with...
Then why not Larry, do you feel it takes you out of the 'album flow'?
Just trying to understand your point of view.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If you have alt versions, it makes sense to get them done at the same time as the full versions. Most ME's charge a discount on this service. If the ME charges an hourly rate it would still be financially beneficial for the client considering the settings between the alt and full would rarely change,.. so less time is spent.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Almost always at the same time.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
Almost always at the same time.
same here
Old 3rd September 2011
Thank you guys. I appreciate your opinions.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm just running a 12 track instrumental for a hip-hop/rap artist in moscow, who needs it for his show. I did the album 2 months ago ..

money-wise it's more efficient to run it at the same time, but audio-wise it needs / could benefit from a different approach then the album/vocal versions ..

so doing that at the same time could distract from the vibe you're in / after ..

the instrumentals should be less vocal orientated mastered , just a bit kind of different mind-set while mastering IMHO ...

but I go with the flow and I don't mind doing it both ways , but .... mmmmm
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Alternative versions almost always done same time here too.... just loads more efficient and the margin for variance by doing them in the 'recall' style is nulled.

There's till space to make a quick change or too to make the most of the instrumental version (particularly if you have made changes in the original version FOR the vocal etc)

Of course, if the 'versions' come in later - it's no biggy.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I guess the purpose of the instrumental version is to be used with the vocal later (live, tv, ...). So in that case you better leave the space for the vocal during the mastering.
Otherwise if it's an alternate version for a release you can optimize the mastering for the instruments.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Often the instrumental versions are offered for movies soundtracks, etc.

The live performance versions contain background vocals, are called TV tracks.

I prefer to do them right after the vocal version,

But if you take good notes, you can quickly redial it.

Sometimes the lack of vocal tracks can change the EQ approach,

and eliminate the need for DeEssing.

Also you can print them at a slightly lower level as they're not in the loudness race.

JT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search