The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gyraf Audio Gyratec XIV ?
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Gyraf Audio Gyratec XIV ?

Looking for feedback on the Gyraf Audio Gyratec XIV eq and any nice comments .

Can it do extreme pushing or creative eq and hows its character ?

how does it differ from the manley massive passive ?

love some owners feedback if you have any .I am looking at this both for tracking in individual audio parts and also for tweaking final mixes myself here in a creative sense.Does the unit add some colour and vibe ?
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hi! I own it and itΒ΄s my first analog eq. For me itΒ΄s absolutely unbelivable, itΒ΄s a tool with great character and colour, all the bands are great with the highs being one of the best out there. Coming from plugins-wolrd the differece are dramatic, itΒ΄s a kind of "magic box" for me, the stereo opens when audio passes through it and everything comes to life. Totally recommended.

Greetings
Old 3rd August 2011 | Show parent
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
loved the interface and using it.
found it way too colored to be useful in my daily mastering.
YMMV, IMHO, OMFG, LOLCAT, ETC
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There is a thread on here somewhere with samples from various eqs, including the Gyraf, Massive Passive, GML, etc. Based on those samples, its very different from the Massive Passive. JDG had a massive, so he probably knows the differences pretty well.

I really like my Gyraf, but it is finicky with the amount of gain it wants to be fed/put out. Too much and its tube transformer saturation madness (not a ton of headroom), too little gain and it brings a low level distortion to some things. I switch my ADC calibration depending on what kind of project it is to keep the Gyraf happy.

Wish it had shelves.....
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
MP v. Gyratec @ Gyratec G14 vs. Massive Passive audio test

How do owners find the (continuously variable?) volume pots? are the tolerances pretty tight? (my only experience with cont. variable pots are with tolerances in the 20% range, obviously not acceptable for mastering!)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kywoman View Post
MP v. Gyratec @ Gyratec G14 vs. Massive Passive audio test

How do owners find the (continuously variable?) volume pots? are the tolerances pretty tight? (my only experience with cont. variable pots are with tolerances in the 20% range, obviously not acceptable for mastering!)
I like them, obviously you don't have to match the sides (which is where continuously variable pots really suck). For recalls you can't get perfect but who cares, just use your ears. 1 knob for both sides is super fun.
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i LOVED the feel of the gyraf knobs... i guess some ppl called them stiff, but i loved it in use.
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i should have been more specific - i wasn't concerned about the tactile/feel or L/R tracking, but rather in the tolerance of each pot, how much deviance is there in the gain levels in repeated/recalled settings (i.e., when setting the band's gain pot to exactly 12pm, how consistent does the level output in repeated measures? is there a just noticeable difference? is it frequency dependent?) of course i get using one's ears as the ultimate arbiter, but i'm asking this out of interest in the hardware specs. (i asked jakob this but have yet to get a response).

jdg, could you (or others?) also expound on how the unit affects the stereo image, and any workarounds for it? (is it too piecemeal to reel back in the image pre or post analog loop via a plug-in?)

thanks!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Most of the time it just sound good, so I'm not overanalyzing what's really happening with stereo . It is also hard to tell when most of the time you're fiddling with highend and adding some, which in most cases increases percieved stereo width.

The knobs react like on passive eq, lot of movement can make very little change. Also the knobs are big so it is not like one breath will change the sound. IMO recall is easy.
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
its as repeatable as you can get until you move to mechanical switches
Old 5th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
its as repeatable as you can get until you move to mechanical switches
+1
I like mine a lot, nothing else does what it does, but it is not an everyday piece for mastering. When it works it's brilliant, but often it just messes things up. And when you do have it in the chain the usable range for mastering is very small in most cases.

Sometimes when I use it I don't even engage the EQ bands. Just put it in and maybe click the gain knob once in either direction. It can chubby things up in a way that's is pleasing for some material.

Again, I'm a fan but if budget/need are pushing you towards a "go to" EQ I'd say there are much better choices for mastering.

OMMV CBGB OMFUG
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgonsa View Post
Again, I'm a fan but if budget/need are pushing you towards a "go to" EQ I'd say there are much better choices for mastering.
<OT>
What would you get as a complimentary EQ if the only EQs you had was Gyraf g14, neumann w495b (too coarse boosts to be versatile) and siemens w295 (too coarse too)?
</OT>
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
<OT>
What would you get as a complimentary EQ if the only EQs you had was Gyraf g14, neumann w495b (too coarse boosts to be versatile) and siemens w295 (too coarse too)?
</OT>
I found a perfect match (for me) with the Summit EQ-200. They're hard to find these days though. I think some solid options are a Buzz REQ, NSEQ (forsell), or the Great River MAQ-2NV.

The Buzz is super duper sweet but almost absurdly expensive. If you're working with that kind of money to drop on an EQ, do it.

The NSEQ with forsell mods sounds so good, but the ergonomics of it bum me out.

I really like the MAQ; it's tremendously versatile, has nice ergonomics, and sounds fantastic. I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned more, but if I had to buy something new that was going to be my one and only EQ it would probably be that.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
loved the interface and using it.
found it way too colored to be useful in my daily mastering.
YMMV, IMHO, OMFG, LOLCAT, ETC
+ 1
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And when you do have it in the chain the usable range for mastering is very small in most cases.
is this on the same note as what thermos was referring to, gain staging?

i have one of these on the way, ordered it two weeks ago, now the wait! hoping it will be well worth it, not crazy about making such an investment without demoing. thanks all for assuaging concerns about the recall.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
<OT>
</OT>

I agree with the Buzz as well as the Maselec MEA2. Precision and clean be good choice with your current color choices. I also have a Neumann w495b and pair of Siemens w295 with a Bax, Massive Passive and Focusrite 315. Sad to the say the Siemens has not been in the chain in months...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I really like the MAQ; it's tremendously versatile, has nice ergonomics, and sounds fantastic. I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned more, but if I had to buy something new that was going to be my one and only EQ it would probably be that.
As one for whom a Great River MAQ-2NV is my only analogue EQ, amen to all that! Future directions for a mate for it may include the Bax and the MEA-2, but I'm in no great hurry.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
I agree with the Buzz as well as the Maselec MEA2. Precision and clean be good choice with your current color choices. I also have a Neumann w495b and pair of Siemens w295 with a Bax, Massive Passive and Focusrite 315. Sad to the say the Siemens has not been in the chain in months...
How do you like your 315?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kywoman View Post
is this on the same note as what thermos was referring to, gain staging?

i have one of these on the way, ordered it two weeks ago, now the wait! hoping it will be well worth it, not crazy about making such an investment without demoing. thanks all for assuaging concerns about the recall.
Well, it's important to play with the gain trim knob as the first thing, so you know how it behaves. I'm guilty of exploiting its distortion capabilities whenever I can .
If you're not carefull you can get a bit grainy/sandy sound, also the highend is so seductive, it is hard not to overdo it and then it bites a bit.

This track brightness comes a lot from gyraf (you can hear the grain even through the soundcloud compression - but I like it this way):

Of course it can be more suble than this.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
How do you like your 315?
Love the 315 bell bands and high shelf. only wish is more bandwidth range..

love using transformer gains
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Buzz --- well --- will try to get to the point where I don't mind spending souch an amount on EQ. It is temting though.

Summit looks interesting, good suggestion, shouldn't be too expensive too.

I have also the filter modules (w293 and w294), all of them waiting to be racked (long story). Looking forward using them in the mix, I'm not sure about mastering with them, they are even more coarse than w495 and more colored. Who knows, maybe that's exactly what some ITB mixes need.

Is MAQ different sounding to regular one? I wasn't so impressed by some samples of GR EQ some years ago, it was a bit too agressive to my taste.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is MAQ different sounding to regular one? I wasn't so impressed by some samples of GR EQ some years ago, it was a bit too agressive to my taste.
I believe it has different transformers aimed at a smoother sound, and there may be other mastering-friendly mods in addition to all-switched controls. There's a Fletcher post about it somewhere (the unit is a 'Mercenary edition'), not sure if it's at GS or not. I can't imagine anyone who's heard it describing the MAQ as 'agressive'.

EDIT: found the thread - post #8.

Ibis or Great River MAQ-2NV?

Also follow Lynn Fuston's link in post #10, it'll tell you more about the sound of the unit compared to the non-mastering EQ.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I did find the MAQ aggressive or harsh when pushed in the highs and even the lows. the mids were open. I did run it unbalanced as well and it was less harsh. the controls were great
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I did find the MAQ aggressive or harsh when pushed in the highs and even the lows. the mids were open. I did run it unbalanced as well and it was less harsh. the controls were great
How much (presumably) boost are we talking here?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
How much (presumably) boost are we talking here?
2.5 dB or so. its been a few years. I rarely have the 315 pushing 2.5 either
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If I had the luxury there would be a MAQ in the rack still just for eq cuts. nothing I have ever used opened up a mix like cutting on the GR
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a friend with an XIV for sale. Contact me off list if interested.

GR
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
2.5 dB or so. its been a few years. I rarely have the 315 pushing 2.5 either
In an ideal world I would like a sweeter alternative to the the MAQ's shelves it must be said (though they can be just what's needed), that's why the Bax seems to recommend itself.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
If I had the luxury there would be a MAQ in the rack still just for eq cuts. nothing I have ever used opened up a mix like cutting on the GR
Yes, I find the two mid bands in particular hard to beat for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I really like the MAQ; it's tremendously versatile, has nice ergonomics, and sounds fantastic. I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned more............
I've always believed that Great River could do a much better job of actually letting people know that the MAQ is (at heart) as close to a Neve EQ designed for Mastering Engineers as is possible to get.

It's more of a 1081 than it is a 1073, but it's among the sweetest solid state EQ you can get your ears on.

Like to hear it in combo with a Dangerous BAX...........but that combo might cause me to palpitate
πŸ“ Reply