The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gyraf Audio Gyratec XIV ?
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #31
getting further and further OT, but what do folks think about the 3 position Q filters on the MAQ? that's kept me away from it as a primary EQ.
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
dietrich10's Avatar
My biggest knock on the MAQ(it was only EQ at the time) was that with all the dance music I master that the low bands could not get tight enough to do any real shaping.
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
lowland's Avatar
 

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by kywoman View Post
getting further and further OT, but what do folks think about the 3 position Q filters on the MAQ? that's kept me away from it as a primary EQ.
You'd need to try it for yourself to see if that would work for you, but I've never found it a problem; for me preset Q in the two mid bands is one of the things that makes the MAQ quick to set. All the settings are broad (nominally less than 1) and I find myself regularly using preset 2. Also bear in mind that the unit employs proportional Q, so the bell shape will become narrower the more cut or boost is used.
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
lowland's Avatar
 

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
My biggest knock on the MAQ(it was only EQ at the time) was that with all the dance music I master that the low bands could not get tight enough to do any real shaping.
Agreed, Dietrich: I have few criticisms, but that would be one. That's why I think the MEA-2 would work well with it - at the moment those duties are filled by Algo Blue with which I'm not displeased in that region, but something with a little more life in the lows would be good.

Now back to our scheduled topic :-)
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
dietrich10's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Agreed, Dietrich: I have few criticisms, but that would be one. That's why I think the MEA-2 would work well with it - at the moment those duties are filled by Algo Blue with which I'm not displeased in that region, but something with a little more life in the lows would be good.

Now back to our scheduled topic :-)
Staying off topic but on the topic this turned into......

MEA2 coming to me hopefully in the next week. Putting against my 315 mk1 for low shaping in the analog domain.
Old 15th August 2011 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
gyraf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
<OT>
What would you get as a complimentary EQ if the only EQs you had was Gyraf g14, neumann w495b (too coarse boosts to be versatile) and siemens w295 (too coarse too)?
</OT>
Actually, the G14 was originally intended for and designed to complement the GML 8200 and Sontec MEP250 that at the time were the main eq's in our mastering room...

Jakob E.
Old 17th August 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Chris Bauer's Avatar
I recently bought the Gyraf G10 vari-mu compressor, which I enjoy using. I am now considering also getting the G14 EQ and I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on the unit. I would intend to use it exclusively for mastering and in combination with a fairly clean sounding EQ.
Old 17th August 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Actually, the G14 was originally intended for and designed to complement the GML 8200 and Sontec MEP250 that at the time were the main eq's in our mastering room...

Jakob E.
the g14 is also the perfect "ying" to a buzzaudio req "yang".

a quiet colored eq for matering, i use him on around 10- 15 % of all jobs, not a standart tool, but if he fits, he's a great solution.
he's specialty event are mixes who need a bit more vibe and style.
Old 17th August 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Chris Bauer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the g14 is also the perfect "ying" to a buzzaudio req "yang".

a quiet colored eq for matering, i use him on around 10- 15 % of all jobs, not a standart tool, but if he fits, he's a great solution.
he's specialty event are mixes who need a bit more vibe and style.
That sounds interesting, as I master reasonable amount of material that might be described as slightly cold sounding. If the EQ adds some vibe and colour that would be just about what I am looking for.
Old 20th August 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bauer View Post
That sounds interesting, as I master reasonable amount of material that might be described as slightly cold sounding. If the EQ adds some vibe and colour that would be just about what I am looking for.
after try out many eq's i would say the buzzaudio req (or a sontec or a maselec) is the backbone in my channel - i could do 80% of the jobs only with the buzz and some dynamics.
a very nice addition to a classical mastering eq is a api 5500 (i prefer him with scott liebers red dot opamps) and a tube eq like the g14, massivo, knif soma or fairman.
a bax is also a nice addition, but to be honest - the plugin is also not bad! the maselec mla-3 can also do a part of the bax-eq-job, but the bax has a very good highpass.
Old 19th November 2016
  #41
Gear Maniac
I was looking for very musical EQ for 2-bus processing. I own 2xtitan and RockRuepel compressor, I also own a tk-lizer, but I want to have a more bigger control and sound.

Last week I was allowed to test a Chateroak PEQ-1. It sounds really really good. Simple, effective, and so so musical. It´s really easy to open a mud sound and give some air and better lowend definition.

But my decision is not closed as I'm also interested about Gyratec XiV.

Could you share some thoughts with me?
Thanks a lot
Old 20th November 2016
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
1 Review written
I really liked the G14, it surprised me! I'm generally not a fan of colored eqs and dislike many of the popular choices but the G14 was just sweet and musical (such and overused word in this context :-) I could try to describe the sound and fail but I found it predictable and easy to get what I wanted from it.

Definitely worth demoing.
Old 20th November 2016 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Addict
 
bonne's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by esencia View Post
...

But my decision is not closed as I'm also interested about Gyratec XiV.

Could you share some thoughts with me?
Thanks a lot
I think you'll find macc's great review in post 40 of this thread interesting:

(G14) Getting close now...

JB

Last edited by bonne; 20th November 2016 at 10:56 AM..
Old 20th November 2016
  #44
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
if your interested in the g14, check the g23 also - same sweet boxtone, but very different filters .
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne View Post
I think you'll find macc's great review in post 40 of this thread interesting:

(G14) Getting close now...

JB
Man that seems like a lifetime ago. I'm a lot more jaded these days, and with an infinitely better listening setup, but I do remember that being a good day.

TBH though - despite the embarrassingly overly-flowery language - I don't disagree with most of that initial assessment 8 years later. That 500Hz (it's lower in reality) boost sees a lot of use. And for cutting between 100-200Hz it still floats my boat. Thinking about it I almost use it only for cutting - something teebaum said somewhere about the legato aspect of it, perhaps. But it's still wonderful.

I suppose now I've been doing this longer, I'd want less colour these days. I want to hear less. But you can always run it quieter if you don't have other options. I do, so I don't.

FWIW mine needs to visit Denmark again for a service, it's so well-used. Make of that what you will.
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
  #46
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Man that seems like a lifetime ago. I'm a lot more jaded these days, and with an infinitely better listening setup, but I do remember that being a good day.

TBH though - despite the embarrassingly overly-flowery language - I don't disagree with most of that initial assessment 8 years later. That 500Hz (it's lower in reality) boost sees a lot of use. And for cutting between 100-200Hz it still floats my boat. Thinking about it I almost use it only for cutting - something teebaum said somewhere about the legato aspect of it, perhaps. But it's still wonderful.

I suppose now I've been doing this longer, I'd want less colour these days. I want to hear less. But you can always run it quieter if you don't have other options. I do, so I don't.

FWIW mine needs to visit Denmark again for a service, it's so well-used. Make of that what you will.
It's fascinating how things change in your perception over time isn't it.

I'd still love to hear this EQ. I love the features and look, the concerns over softness and overt colour do concern, but I'm wanting to shoot this G14 out against the new Swift eq - which is totally fast and open... transformer less tubes. I wonder how that would fair with your ears now Bob...

Regarding the box tone and the G23, are the comments regarding the lowend softness still present there teebaum?

-T
Old 21st November 2016
  #47
Gear Maniac
Today I received a couple of audio test that I sent to a G14 user.. He applied G14 and it sounds really good! very musical with nice high end..
I'll take it into consideration..with my other candidate: charteroak peq-1
Old 17th February 2018 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
It's fascinating how things change in your perception over time isn't it.

I'd still love to hear this EQ. I love the features and look, the concerns over softness and overt colour do concern, but I'm wanting to shoot this G14 out against the new Swift eq - which is totally fast and open... transformer less tubes. I wonder how that would fair with your ears now Bob...

Regarding the box tone and the G23, are the comments regarding the lowend softness still present there teebaum?

-T
That would be a very interesting shootout.
Old 17th February 2018 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post

Regarding the box tone and the G23, are the comments regarding the lowend softness still present there teebaum?

-T
the basic sound of the g23 is "typical gyraf" - which I find a very good addition to my other devices, but not as "universal".
I also like the g23 much better for refreshing than for darkening - I prefer to do darkening with a very fast eq, then the harshness is better taken.
for me, the g23 always has a little bit of a tape-aspect, which is much less "problematic" than a real tape (noise, hum, flutter, workflow).
really unbelievable are also those mids of the bax-section, there you can turn in and turn in.... also 2k goes here "like butter".

Unfortunately, I don't know "the swift" at all, I also find it strange that you hear so little about it.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2 views: 3377
Avatar for rasmusbmusic
rasmusbmusic 13th January 2008
replies: 21 views: 4253
Avatar for wagz
wagz 18th March 2009
replies: 1464 views: 289251
Avatar for Joey_Mango
Joey_Mango 4 hours ago
replies: 19 views: 4355
Avatar for vincentvangogo
vincentvangogo 8th July 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump