The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Here's a strange one..what do you recommend
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Here's a strange one..what do you recommend

I'm working on an old project. Do I send this to an ME or to a regular ol' engineer. My inclination is that an ME could do the most effective job. Tell me what you all think.....

I have a bunch of stereo studio recordings from the 60's. Despite being recorded in a commercial studio of those days, the sonic quality of the recordings are not very good..in particular the bass, which is sort of like boomy flubber. I believe every law of "good technique for bass guitar recording" was violated at these ancient sessions.

Be that as it may, here's the good part (at least for my purposes).....

The way this stuff was recorded was bass guitar and drums plus some rhythm guitar on the left. Total isolated mono.

The right side only contains overdubbed lead vocals, lead instruments, and other assorted things. Total isolated mono on the right. For the most part, none of the right side stuff overlaps with each other.

There's no reverb on anything. Just natural room sound and a bit of cheesey tape echo here and there.

I have successfully extracted the right side elements onto separate Nuendo tracks. That actually gave me 8-10 new tracks of discrete instruments and voices to eventually work with in a new stereo mix...which will be cool. The original eq quality of the former right side stuff is not so hot, but that can be dealt with at eventual remix time.

Back to the left side the mono bass/drums.... as a minor point, I have transferred that track to Nuendo and then experimented with lots of ways to put delays/effects on that mono drum track to widen it. I have also experimented with lifting isolated cymbal hits to place on their own tracks in order to pan them out away from the main drums. I have been encouraged by the various experiments.

But those experiments are irrelevant at the moment due to the major headache ....the overall eq on that track. Especially the bass. I can not get the bass guitar to fit with those drums no matter what I do with eq. No surprise.

If it turns out that the bass guitar should just be completely notched out and another bass overdubbed, so be it. As all the other ancient tracks are workable, that would be ok. This isn't aimed to be a commercial release.

Regardless of what needs to be done, I ain't the right guy to do it. Even considering my decades of experience, I'm letting this particular project go to someone impartial and more qualified. Far more qualified.

What do you think...wouldn't an ME be the best source to get that single drum/bass gtr track into some sort of mageable shape for me to work with for adding the other stuff back in to a new mix?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search