The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Stereo Variable-Mu Mastering Version vs Normal Version Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 16th March 2006
Here for the gear

Manley Stereo Variable-Mu Mastering Version vs Normal Version

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum here. I was just wondering if anyone has had much experience of the mastering version of the Manley Stereo Variable-Mu Compressor Limiter. I've used the normal version a number of times and quite fancy the idea of buying a mastering version for the ease of recall with the indented controls. Does the mastering version sound the same? Is the input gain the same? Are there any other difference worth knowing about? Just wondered what the consensus is from people that have had the opportunity to use them.

Many thanks

Robert
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I couldn't get by without the mastering version... The ability to recall settings is too important.

The circuitry is basically the same - The input level (from what I recall) is different... -4 to +4 in 2dB increments instead of whatever the swing on the normal unit is.

Oooh... Just checked @ Manley site... The differences are on the Mu page, and they've added photos of the control section for the mastering version and other mods... At least, I don't recall the photos from long ago...

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/mu99.html
Old 16th March 2006

FWIW: "the swing on the normal unit" is all the way off to all the way on, continuously variable. The Stereo Input control on the regular unit is like a volume control at the input. You can let all your tunes in or none of your tunes in or any amount in between.

Same goes for the output controls for that matter...
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hey EveAnna -

That reminds me, robertorton - One other option you might want to consider is the high-pass on the sidechain...

My VM is going in for that mod soon...
Old 17th March 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks guys. So I guess the input gain on the normal unit is considerably more. I want the unit primarily for mix compression so the +4 of the mastering version should be more than enough. But, I've read that the sound and character of the unit can be considerably altered by how hard you drive the input and I guess I'm wondering if that means that the mastering version is not as versatile as the normal one in this sense.

Thanks for the recommendations on the HP mod. I was gonna add that as well as the T-Bar mod which, from what I read, is also well worth the investment.

Thanks for your help guys. Any other thoughts or comments would still be much appreciated......
Old 17th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorton
Thanks guys. So I guess the input gain on the normal unit is considerably more. I want the unit primarily for mix compression so the +4 of the mastering version should be more than enough. But, I've read that the sound and character of the unit can be considerably altered by how hard you drive the input and I guess I'm wondering if that means that the mastering version is not as versatile as the normal one in this sense.

The input level control on the normal version has a wider range, from no tunes to all of them getting into the unit. The Mastering one is intended for Mastering where the levels are more prone to be predictable thus the input control is restricted to an 8dB range, where it is most likely to be used in a mastering situation.
Old 18th March 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks very much EveAnna. I'll most likely give you a call in the next couple of days about the unit.
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

I Have the non-mastering version and I find it works well with a digital pic. for recall.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search