The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best currently made/accurate external cd burner for use with MacBook pro
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Best currently made/accurate external cd burner for use with MacBook pro

Hi,

Not looking for old Plextor models I need to scrounge for on EBay, etc.....

Thank you for sharing!!

Larry Goldsmith
Old 8th April 2012
Gear Head

I would also love to know but I fear this info doesn't exist. With CDs rapidly becoming extinct there is no motivation for new quality external/mac burning tools.

I hope I'm wrong?
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

LaCie
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The only thing that matters is the error rate of the burned discs. An error rate test (Plextools, etc.) will tell you if a burner / CD combination is working well or not. I'm currently using a $20 Lite-on drive I got at Microcenter with JVC discs and getting similar results to my Plextor Premium.

Pop a drive in a USB external case and try it. They're priced to be disposable now so you can try a few until you find a good one.

GR
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

The OP is using a Mac, so AFAIK Plextools won't work and there is still no OSX program for error detection

Unless one of you has some new information...
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
The OP is using a Mac, so AFAIK Plextools won't work and there is still no OSX program for error detection

Unless one of you has some new information...
Bootcamp here with Windows XP and a Plextor PX-716UF running PlexTools. I burn with some $30 Pioneer drive and then error check with the Plextor. The Pioneer works great and has been running strong for awhile now. I'm getting very low C1 error rates with it and Taiyo Yuden's. I really wish there was a CD error checking application for OSX but it's not looking likely to ever happen.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Bootcamp here with Windows XP and a Plextor PX-716UF running PlexTools. I burn with some $30 Pioneer drive and then error check with the Plextor. The Pioneer works great and has been running strong for awhile now. I'm getting very low C1 error rates with it and Taiyo Yuden's. I really wish there was a CD error checking application for OSX but it's not looking likely to ever happen.
sounds familiar!

I'm running a 716 with my MacBook on XP.

That's the limit of my MS Windows skills : - )

But I'm still having good luck finding ancient NOS Plextors on eB*y.

Just last month found a NOS 2003 Premium, updated the firmware, burns fine.

best, JT
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

I still have CD-Rs and still use an old Marantz CD burner but may upgrade. I still track using a Boss Br-8 which uses a digital out to connect to the digital in of the Marantz CD burner.

I'm looking into a CD burner that uses lightscribe and has digital inputs. I think Lacie owns the lightscribe technology.

I still think the CD is still standard in presenting a finished product for presentation to labels and for turning it to "digital" for the new crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Brown View Post
I would also love to know but I fear this info doesn't exist. With CDs rapidly becoming extinct there is no motivation for new quality external/mac burning tools.

I hope I'm wrong?
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I have very good luck with the BluRay Samsung drives. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SH-22...+bluray+burner

FWIW
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks good feature wise but missing the Lightscribe feature I'm seeking. The discs I use are Lightscribe and 52x compatible. I hope the product you suggested could work for 52x discs.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks good feature wise but missing the Lightscribe feature I'm seeking. The discs I use are Lightscribe and 52x compatible. I hope the product you suggested could work for 52x discs.
My suggestion would be to find something other than "lightscribe" to write on your discs. The problem is the media is going to be fast disappearing. It was never as popular as it was meant to be and I am not seeing a lot of lightscribe discs for sale anywhere on the internet. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search