The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Doug Jane Maximiser
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Doug Jane Maximiser

Is there anyone who has tried this stand alone software?
Doug Jane Recording
I have used the earlier version back in 1998, and found it gave individual tracks extra loudness while preserving dynamics.

From what I was told, the program analyzes the whole wave file from beginning to end, and it gives you choices to tweak, increase levels and it does it by re-drawing.
This version 4.0/24 mentions
"The amount of loudness increase can be varied up to a maximum of 10 dB. There is a choice of linear or tape saturation modes."

Old Macs, and OSX only

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Doug Jane Maximiser-main1.jpg   Doug Jane Maximiser-picture-201.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2011
Is there a way to demo it? reminds me of AAMS in terms of auto/semi-manual processing. Looks interesting, it says it does not use compression, which can lead to cleaner sounding tracks, because compression creates harmonic distortion.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manman View Post
it says it does not use compression, which can lead to cleaner sounding tracks, because compression creates harmonic distortion.
Any process that reduces dynamic range will necessarily create harmonic distortion
Still, would be interesting to hear what this one does/did under the hood. Does anyone know?
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manman View Post
Is there a way to demo it?
Not sure, I do not think so, I think the process is to contact Doug via email.
Be good if Doug has some Audio file comparisons on his site.

The version I have trying to remember 1.0 I think, is OS9 and only has sound designer II option and only 6db gain, it works better with files that are not maximized, or limited with square peaks.
I remember junior engineering with Billy Kristian, and he would go through each file in pro-tools and draw down excessive peaks only, then export each file of each track, run it through the DJM import back into pro-tools.
I remember a chat with Doug Jane at a party, and he basically explained that his Maximiser does a better job at bringing up the overall loudness of a Audio file than what a compressor could do, or what Normalize/Auto-gain could do, without effecting the integrity of the sound, there is a limit to how far the loudness of the file can be achieved, but that does come down as mentioned before prepearing the file.

I only had a look on his website to see if he was still selling the program, and it has definitly been updated, with extra options.
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
would be interesting to hear what this one does/did under the hood. Does anyone know?
Remembering back the program shows the wave form on screen and shows a red drawing following the wave file, and slowly draws the wave file, it provides a statistical info at the end, how many peaks, and how much level of gain has been achieved. I remember the MAC was a G3, so it was slow process back then, I am not sure how fast the process is with the latest version running on OSX.

Is there any other program out there that analyzes the file, and redraws the wave form?
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Addict

No PC versions, to try …. Dang!

KAyo
Old 23rd February 2011
Here for the gear

The only way I could help would be to fire up my old G4, and restart up in OS9, and workout some sound designer II files, run through the old version I have of DJM, upload before/after see what I can do.....TBC
Old 24th February 2011
Here for the gear

Messages from Doug Jane:

M1:
Price is $150NZD. It will operate with OSX, not sure whether this is Snow leopard?
The program is now broken into two versions and does SD2, AIFF, and WAV files.
There is no difference in the amount of processing, (from previous versions) max 10 db.
I don't have any file examples.
Regards,
Doug Jane.
M2:
I am not sure what versions of OSX the system works on. I do know it works on early versions (pre-Leopard).
No reason to think it won't work on later versions.

It is a register to use version, and requires a key.

The program uses no compression or eq. It assumes that you have eq'd your mix to the sound you want.
The program only adjusts levels to increase the mastered level. It uses no clipping.

Be aware that as with any processing for level, you will remove dynamic range in the material. This may and does make much modern music sterile sounding.

My whole reason for writing the Maximiser was to give me a tool to raise the level of my masters and make them consistent, but not to make them the loudest on the block. That's why I would normally only use 4 dB.

Loudness is not what matters, music and performance is what matters. Without that, you have recorded garbage, and there is so much of it these days.

Doug Jane
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear
This sounds very interesting. I am going to enquire about this from Doug.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

i was just told by doug himself that he doesn't sell the Maximizer anymore.
His hardware units are discontinued, too.
Old 31st July 2013
wow, those graphics! ...bringin' me back
Old 1st August 2013
Here for the gear

O well pity, this idea could of unfolded into maybe a program that re-writes the wave file in different steps maybe RMS level mode, Peak re-write, so that all peaks a drawn down to equal overall, so that there are no squared peaks but imitates a naturally drawn peak but reduced by whatever db one enters in.
Maybe re-drawn in velocity mode, or some other mode analyses or looks at the audio different to the usual Wave peak view.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear
I actually purchased the Maximizer. It is excellent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search