The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Weiss DS1-MKIII , Can you get as loud level or ...?
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Head

Weiss DS1-MKIII , Can you get as loud level or ...?

Currently use the DS1 for De-esser only. Looking for users to share their experience with the Weiss DS1-MKIII have advice/settings or a starting point on how you can you get loud levels with the least damage or do you still need L2 or plug ins to achieve that. Its seems like the Weiss Safety Limiter gain makes material brighter just by adding gain with no limiting and that you can't go to far with the regular limiting for level.

Please keep this thread on the Weiss DS1-MKIII Level advise and and not on how the "Mix,etc." matters, that goes without saying.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Nut

Verified Member
I've never used the Weiss for a "final level" box last in the chain and I get the impression most other MEs don't do that either. It's actually one of the first things in the chain here, mostly for fixing problems before passing audio through the analog chain.

So my answer is no - the Weiss is not enough. It's also a bad investment as your only piece of outboard gear - you could get several pieces of gear for the price of the Weiss. Achieving loud levels will require more planning & strategy than just using one processing box.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonati View Post
I've never used the Weiss for a "final level" box last in the chain and I get the impression most other MEs don't do that either. It's actually one of the first things in the chain here, mostly for fixing problems before passing audio through the analog chain.
Same here, i use it for fixing problems, the deesser is a great tool for that, i use it next to my "cuts" eq before all my analog gear.

For loudness, i use a MaxBCL at the end of my chain and the brickwall limiter in my computer sharing the task...
Old 15th February 2011
I actually used weiss on few records, the good thing is compression makes sound louder and more high quality, the bad thing it clips like a regular digital processor. It can clip pretty bad on pure sine wav bass, so you would have to back off a bit and compress with another digital limiter. Its probably a must have unit for serious mastering, but you would still need some other digital limiter on top of DS1. With weiss you are limited to digital volume that will simply clip.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I like the limiter function on the DS1 ...
I used it a lot ...
if the mixes are good and you don't need to d-ess or anything ...
then sometimes I prefer the DS1 as limiter .. but still no more then a max of 2 or 3 dB @ most ... special when I'm running in 96.

using it as a full limiter box .. gives you so many parameters to play with ..
the atk and release delay, the PRV .. the FST release / AVG / slow-release .. ratio / soft-knee .. well all there is in that box ..

it's only a shame you have to run it in real-time mode , while the software limiters have the bounce ... which in a busy schedule saves a lot of time ..

But it's not for slamming .. for making real loud tracks I prefer a few limits at different stages in the process.
Old 15th February 2011
If you hear the (extra) safety limiter make the sound brighter it's because of added distortion by hitting it too loud.
I don't like the safety limiter as it makes the sound duller instead to my ears.

The regular limiter can tame peaks in an elegant way though, making headroom to raise level later in the process.

MK3 specific (apart from parallel mode) is the option to change peak sensing to RMS. It may not directly result in louder masters, but a RMS time-constant of a few millisec's can give a bit more body than peak mode would.

As others say, don't rely on the DS1 (or any single unit!) alone for level.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
it's not for slamming .. for making real loud tracks I prefer a few limits at different stages in the process.
thumbsup
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

Thanks For the replies

I appreciate all of the replies. It confirms what I have been experiencing. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 16th February 2011
Quote:
I don't like the safety limiter as it makes the sound duller instead to my ears.
thumbsup You mean on weiss ds1
Old 16th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by manman View Post
thumbsup You mean on weiss ds1
Yes
Old 17th February 2011
Most folks using it early in the chain? About to fire one up here.
Old 17th February 2011
Motown legend

Verified Member
A number of people use two, one for de-essing and a second for final limiting.
Old 17th February 2011
Well, that's an affordable solution. heh
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict

I use 'just' one...

Early in the chain, as a corrective piece before hitting the analogue processing.

The M/S de-essing in the MK III is great!

Graemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
Well, that's an affordable solution. heh
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

and now there is a plugin....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search